Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Plutonia Revisited Community Project

Well I've been thinking I need to do continuous runs of TNT: Revilution and PRCP and put them together since Revilution was released because I have done some UV Max runs of TNT: Revilution during beta test.

Currently I name this playlist "Re"turn to Final Doom. If you have more creative ideas of the name of my playlist, you can post here.

Playlist link: "Re"turn to Final Doom

I decided to record a fresh continuous run but I was busy with NOVA (Actually I have done map28 and 29 but have not posted them yet), so I start it here and try if I can follow others' progress.

Playing with GLBoom+, -complevel 4. Intended to play TNT: Revilution first but club chose PRCP for this month.

NOTE: I use "100% Kills & Secrets" as the title of videos. The 100% kills and secrets stats are based on the alternative HUD of GLBoom+ because the percentage may be over 100% on the intermission screen.

Also, since some have not played PRCP before, so I will not post spoilers here although most PRCP maps have themes similar to those of original Plutonia maps. You can see others' comments and screenshots.

I have recorded first 6 maps but I will only post one here per day.

Map01: Stonewall by Joshy

This is the first map of PRCP but I failed 4 times. In my opinion the hardest part is the hitscanners before you get the green armor.

11 minutes ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Hello! I want to write a review for this, looks cool, But I am not able to play the wad properly, as I get black textures in 50% of the walls. I use GZDoom to play by the way, is there anything I do wrong?

PS: Im kinda new to this.

Probably wrong IWAD. GZDoom is okay but you need Plutonia as the IWAD.

20 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Votes were rigged; MM2 clearly won that one!

Anyway... I've played PRCP before, right after PL2 in fact, and found it disappointing in comparison. It's a decent set overall, though lacking in ambition and map complexity seen in PL2 and Urania. Still some cool stuff here though.

I'll be using PRBoom+ this time for the vintage software experience. UV, Pistol-Starts, no-saves etc.

MAP01 - “Stonewall” by Joshy

I9TlMJi.png

This opening map by Joshy is very much in the same style as the original and PL2. Plutonia gameplay staples like Chaingunners and Revenants are a common enemy, and the obligatory Vile is once again found near the crate storage. The Berserk secret near the start is decently obscured and where I ended up finding it last. A solid start.

I think Urania is just an independent wad with Plutonia textures and needed to play with -complevel 4. But most maps are painful because you need to spend long time finding way here and there. I only played first 4 maps before and spend about 30 mins finishing map04.

10 minutes ago, lirui1001 said:

Probably wrong IWAD. GZDoom is okay but you need Plutonia as the IWAD.

I just try it! Thank you it work! I did not have the Plutonia iwad so I try downloading it now and it works! Duh! I only had Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom, I never thought I would need the others, thank you!

MAP02 - “Temple of Cetza” by Paul Corfiatis

AiAmTrr.png

A rather dark map on default software mode that includes a lot of Demon and Spectre punching. Probably a bit too much, as they are largely non-threatening and feel like padding the gameplay length. The layout is cool, no complaints there, though rather conservative compared to PL2's impressive map02. I'm very much against secret SSGs, although this one was rather obvious with an extra "Here dumbass!" arrow pointing to it. Never did manage to find the 3rd secret but got all the kills so whatever. Pretty good map.

19 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

@Anidrex_1009 In addition, don't forget to load the .deh file too, in case you didn't

He doesn't need to if he's using GZDoom, or even PRBoom+ as the .deh is already in the wad. Aside from vanilla, I'm not sure which ports require loading it separately.

53 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

I was addressing Mr Anidrex's previous comment, not yours. Sorry for any confusion.

Dont worry, I bought it years ago, I just did not have it installed  :P

ys.png

Plutonia Revisited Community Project
MAP01: Stonewall.

HMP Difficulty, using GZDoom and Brutal Doom.

01/10/2017

We begin with a megawad that seeks to have the same spiritual feeling as the famous and renowned Plutonia Experiment, and then, of course, it succeeds. From the beginning we can see the first typical touches of PE, water, brown bricks, moss and lianas hiding doors, etc. It pulls us straight into the action, and clear with plenty of enemies from the beginning, especially chaingunners, something that is also common with PE. The architecture of the map seems good, quite entertaining and fast, although nothing special or other world, the items are well positioned in my opinion and challenging, being vital to know where to aim, the difficulty is decent, can be challenging but is not something frustrating, which gives some flexibility to the game plus the good position of the enemies which is of course; weak enemies to the front and strong firing from high places. A good map start, pretty solid and decent, nothing out of this world but entertaining. That Arch-Vile in the boxes tho...

Screenshot_Doom_20171001_204807.png.da82f6248f9019f9af32d88d19ce20ab.pngScreenshot_Doom_20171001_205144.png.543769026d09da9b663c9e4d278db7a5.png

PS: This is the first review I do in my life by the way. It's quite fun, more than I thought.

Cool, cool. I'm in the middle of this one "right now". (Took a breather before starting MAP31 a...well, a few months ago.) I'll join in at the midway point for sure, maybe get some thoughts posted on earlier maps as I remember them. (And where's @Demtor with his copious screenshots to jog my memory? :) )

Anyway, I enjoyed the heck outta PL2 (I was also partway through that one when the Club picked it up!) so I was looking forward to this one. I remember the first 3 or so maps being pretty vicious right from the get-go (even on HMP) which soured me on it a little, but they got better: I blasted through the first 6 maps in about a 24-hour period. (Geez, that was back in April according to my posting history.)

I’ve decided to play with pistol-starts rather than continuous.

MAP02 – “Temple of Cetza” by Paul Corfiatis

sdSl4TL.png

I played this map twice. The first was a continuation of MAP01 and the second was a pistol-start.

Playing continuous was rather simple as most of the monsters were easily dispatched with shells and rockets. No particular encounter really stood out as most went by rather quickly. This, I think, is due to the map being more balanced for pistol-starts.

Pistol-starting this map felt grindy. The berserk pack is probably the most important tool in this map for pistol-starts. Demons keep pouring in and punching them to death is the only way to conserve ammo for the bigger monsters. This felt a lot like padding and slowed the pacing of the map a bit. The area around the switch that allowed access to the red-key was probably the best example of what the map offered as a whole – one part shooting and one part punching.

The path from the red-key to the yellow-key was a lot more interesting though. The blue-key ambush was quick and fun, while the path to the yellow-key required some care. Then you pick the yellow-key and the final punch-out begins. I found this final bout to be a lot more engaging than the first two, where all you have are Demons. The few Revenants here spice it up. But this encounter can be simplified with the secret Super Shotgun and Rocket Launcher.

The map sticks with MAP01’s temple/tech-base hybrid theme but is more linear. The secrets in this map were simple and stood in contrast to MAP01’s secrets. All of them were rather easy to find, especially the Super Shotgun with the arrow pointing at it. That being said, the only weapons that make progression less monotonous are hidden as secrets, which I found to be rather annoying. Gameplay-wise, the map is pretty fun but is punctuated by all the punching involved.

MAP02: Temple of Cetza
HMP Difficulty, using GZDoom and Brutal Doom
02/10/2017

Here I begin to like these maps, the peculiar touch of PE is still there, the same green plants, bricks, hidden doors, surprise enemies, chaingunners, etc. But with the second map I begin to think that things become more interesting. It is simple without doubt, so far, both maps have not presented me with a big problem in terms of riddles or long trips to activate buttons, everything is formed in a flexible and entertaining way. In map02, the difficulty increases a little, the enemies are still the same, but greater numbers and with many attacks surprises, especially the Pinky's can become a bit annoying, but everything is still quite fun. I liked the design quite a lot, I still think the same thing, nothing out of this world but pretty enough and entertaining, it even makes me feel something nostalgic while I play this. The collection of keys is entertaining and not boring, the positioning of items and enemies is improving, however, the touch of PE still feels, congratulations for that. Now a more technical point, the beginning is nice, there are high areas with enemies shooting and low areas with water and Pinky's, enemies are spawnan abruptly, but nothing impossible to deal with, the red key area is very entertaining and the zone of Exit too, so far, I'm really enjoying this.

Screenshot_Doom_20171001_231542.png.fe0bb6feb6ef2f4c392c64b854d0c07e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171001_233448.png.5bbceb781b2e930e0bd160ca003b1a4b.png

PS: Im not that good to find secrets btw :P

Have been on a Plutonia kick recently, doing pistol-starts of the original, so I figured I'd join for this. I can't promise with my schedule, preferred playstyle (Ultra-Violence, no saves), and skill-level (not great) that I'll be able to play the whole wad in a month, but I'll give my thoughts for whatever I manage to get through in time.

I'm playing this completely blind, though I'll look up secrets if I'm in a tight spot.

MAP01: Stonewall
Ultra-Violence, Continuous, No mid-level saves, Blind (Willing to look up secrets if tight on health or ammo)

PrBoom+

This map wound up being fun, despite killing me plenty of times, though let's talk about an enemy that absolutely should not be here: the Zombieman. The original Plutonia smartly almost never employed these grunts, but here they are scattered about to plink-plink-plink away at the player. I hope they disappear soon, because their usage is antithetical to the original Plutonia's style. Other things that strike me as being off: the somewhat random positioning of the Arachnotron fire from the main room (they can wander around and cause cover to be inconsistent, sniping from various parts of the map; it's not unfair, but the Casali wad rarely employed enemy turrets that weren't fairly consistent in their fire), and the usage of the green-vine texture to obscure the players vision in the starting battle against the Imps and shotgun guys. The original game did love positioning vine mid-textures over doorways, but always in safe spots that didn't obstruct combat.

It's mostly in good fun, though, and the map is easy to memorize and encounters are satisfyingly solvable. Much like "Congo," a lot of this boiled down to figuring out which section to tackle first, when to obtain the super shotgun, rocket launcher, etc. (And I noticed similar traps were positioned around those two weapons--a fairly unthreatening Arch-Vile encounter by the SSG; a Revenant ambush around ammo-laden cubbyholes for the rocket launcher.)

My one real issue with the map is how stingy it is with its ammo. The secrets are fairly obtuse (stacked timed switches are something I don't think ever appears in the original game, though I could be wrong, and it feels rather out of place), but are nearly a necessity. I wound up having to look them up, as I was running out of ammo at crucial points each time. Maybe that's why the Zombiemen are about, to provide the player with a few extra bullets, but c'mon. Get 'em out of there and throw in a few more ammo boxes instead.

A decent map that feels mooostly in the spirit of Plutonia; a little harder than "Congo," but I don't think as tightly designed.

Ultra-Violence, Continuous, No mid-level saves, Blind (Willing to look up secrets if tight on health or ammo)

PrBoom+

More hitscanners wander about, and the map seems deadset on throwing Berserk-Pack Pinky encounters at the player, which are neither difficult (so long as you know they're coming and don't get immediately pinned), nor fun to replay. Ammo remains really tight, so you more or less have to punch out as much as you can. Blech. Dying here was particularly unenjoyable. The SSG secret feels nearly mandatory for resources.

Wasn't in love with this one. Wasn't really feeling a Plutonia-vibe outside the obligatory textures.

Map03 seems off to a good start, though the potential of the Cacodemons to slowly pin the player into the starting cubby doesn't feel particularly in the spirit of the original (it would have dangerous starts, but rarely creeping death like that), but that's pretty forgivable. Looks like a slightly less methodically paced "Ghost Town," with more enemies active at the start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial impressions: It's fine so far. Maybe it's unfair to compare it with such a high bar as the original wad, but it's hard to avoid given the theme. I'm not sure if the levels are really more difficult than Plutonia's first two, in terms of encounters and traps, or if they just feel that way because they're slightly longer. I feel like it's the trap of community projects to end up with a collection of levels that are all slightly longer than they need to be (gotta use all those keys), so it'll be interesting to see if that holds up here. I do hope the ammo situation improves, so I can focus more on the encounters. That's definitely a form of difficulty, but it's one the original Plutonia rarely if ever turns to.

EDIT-- I totally didn't catch the homage in "Cetza"'s title until reading a post below. In terms of nods to the original, the only thing that stands out now is the open area before the red key, with a Mancubus positioned on the other side of an array of pillars, which plays like a vastly scaled up version of Plutonia map 03's chainsaw room. In retrospect that's pretty clever, though I'm not sure it's an intuitive choice on its own. On my successful run, the Mancubus wound up being bitten to death by a Demon it managed to tag with a fireball early on.

I also want to give "Stonewall" more credit upon reflection. I like how its areas interconnect. It's extremely satisfying to realize at a certain point you've killed the Mancubus who was sniping at you from the entryway, for example, or to figure out its outdoor area has two different entrances. At first I wasn't enamored with its elements that felt a little more bloated or haphazard than "Congo's," and I still have some reservations, but it's a clever map that wears its Plutonia-remix elements well.

Edited by Cipher

MAP02: Temple of Cetza, by pcorf|10:12|98% kills|

QpLj1Pg.png

It's a pretty good map with a good mix of Tyson gameplay with some tougher fights requiring a more careful playstyle, the layout's good, but the hell knights reeeally drag it down; time-wasting bullet sinks that grind the pace up. A few of the other battles just feel like repeats of earlier moments in the map, so gameplay lacks the most in this map, but otherwise it's pretty solid, especially in the visuals department. 

Oh, right, it's Aztec backwards...

Pretty solid, with a slower pace and less frantic atmosphere to it than the preceding map; things here are more segmented, episodic, letting the player set the pace without the same extensive interconnections that allowed MAP01's encounters to snowball together into a messy avalanche of monsters and bloodshed.  I think changes of pace like that are one way to keep the gameplay fresh when the atmosphere between the two maps remains relatively consistent, though the technological elements are significantly toned down here, replaced by a stronger feeling of the mystical, the antique, and the occult.  I do like the eastern node here, which can be approached at different times in the map's progression and through two different entrances, allowing the encounters within to play out in a number of different ways.

MAP02: Temple of Cetza - HMP, Continuous

This map is a standard Pcorf map in every way except it features Plutonia textures. This map doesn't feature the typical instant chaingunner traps of most Plutonia maps, which is good. On the other hand it does feature the long drawn out gameplay featured in the majority of Pcorf maps. This map in particular has a heavy berserk theme to it, even from continuous I found my self low on ammo very often so punching demons is a must here. Visuals are good, but no area in particular stood out to me.

MAP02. Time: 12:53. Kills: 100%. Secrets: 66%.

Another good map. A bit easier than previous one and a bit more lengthy. Also I didn't get the soulsphere secret because I forgot how to.

prcp_arch_02.zip

Shall start on this, won't be doing pistol starts since i know most of this mapset by heart anyways.

MAP01 Stonewall

Always imagined this one as a slow opener, at least in its layout. For that I actually do not like the level that much. Of course, it's Plutonia enough to smack a few annoying chaingunners my way, which will make me go a bit slower. The rocket launcher area is pretty much out of Congo here. The SSG area also homages Congo, with the arch-vile popping out once it got accessible. Those two secrets gave me a lot of headaches, though. The one that required multiple switches, urgh no please. Rest of the map was sequentially linear to three keys in three distinct areas, one with the monster traps and WOS-switches, another with the yellow key in the center, which begs a bumrush to the far west side to avoid chaingunners and other things. Momentous opening, plays well, not my favorite though.

MAP02 Temple of Cetza

The usual kind of level design from Pcorf himself, enemies pop up, not in a rude way, general level design that has orthogonals in places and not in others. And yes, there's that one switch that has the bars around it, signaling that it allows access to the key instead of actually requiring the key. That's a debatable thing to have. Most of it is uninteresting to players wanting something unique, but I actually like Pcorf maps because of that. Secrets are fine, although the SSG one had me rolling my only eye a bit.

MAP02: I'm not a fan of Pcorf tbh, but I must say that enjoyed this level overall. As his usual way the map is done competently and lacking of a soul, to me it feels like the work of robot. The gameplay offers a nice change of pace to what you could expect from a Plutonia-style wad, and the little surprise at the blue key was cute. For once the secrets were made with some logic, thanks.

Map02: Temple of Cetza by Paul Corfiatis (pcorf)

Well...should say thanks to @TheOrganGrinderfor finding that I should read "Cetza" backwards. But this map is not like original Aztec at all. lol.

The track is "The Dave D. Taylor Blues", original track of Trick and Traps in Doom 2. As my friend GarrettChan says, this track is his favorite in Doom 2 and Tricks and Traps is also his favorite map in D2.

A Whispers of Satan-like map (because pcorf is one of the authors of WoS). You have to punch a lot of enemies because there is no enough ammo.

You can call many maps in PRCP as "xxxx v2.0" where "xxxx" refers to some map in original Plutonia. But there are also some maps in PRCP inspired by multiple maps in PL.

PS: One feature of Whispers of Satan is that switches marked with key colors do not need keys to flip but reveal the path to the corresponding keys. 

Death Count: 1

DOOM02.png.76344fe32be935920511ad7ef913c056.png

So, pcorf, I have not played his D2Unleashed so I'm not familiar with his style... anyway, this time I did not remember a few things, like how hidden shotgunners can kill me from 80% to 0% in two shots, or where the only green armor was. Like in the previous map, I found the armor later and had to grab it while low on health, but I lowered the soulsphere pretty easy so health stopped being an issue. Compared to the iwad's and PL2's same slot, it gives a quiet soft start. Most of the map can be cleared via fist action. Ammo is not a problem if you use the berserk for pretty much anything that doesn't have a shotgun/chaingun in their hands. I used the secret rockets to KO the mancubus simply because the SSG came later and is not particularly useful aside from a few hell knights. The map is really nice looking, mainly squares and rectangles, corridors, but nicely detailed. The backpack clearly is for continuous players, which is a nice touch in my opinion. One good iwad midi and to sum up this post, lovely map. 

Can you spot the spectres?

Edited by galileo31dos01

Map02 'Temple of Cetza'

Glboom-Plus - UV Pistol start - Saves (But I didn't use any)

PaVQR0a.png

You know how doors and switches get marked with colored bars that mean the door or switch is locked and you need the correctly colored key to open it? It's basically a central idea in Doom. So, whose idea was it to have the switch leading to the red key marked with red bars? I spent over 5 minutes wandering aimlessly around the level trying to find the way forward until I eventually flipped the switch that I thought was locked.

Once you look past that quality design choice, the level is pretty good. Ammo is scarce, forcing you to rely mainly on the berserk fist to punch down most of the low-tier enemies. I do like tyson-ish gameplay even though I'm not too good at it. Health is also rather scarce (I guess I didn't notice the soulsphere while playing.) which makes a rather tense experience when you screw up and end up with like 15 health. The secret rocket launcher, although there is very little ammo for it, provides a nice tool for getting rid of whichever mid-tier enemies annoy you the most (my enemy of choice was the yellow key revenant). After the start of the level, you can choose whether to take the path with the circular staircase or the other path, if you really want to.

15 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

Map02 'Temple of Cetza'

Glboom-Plus - UV Pistol start - Saves (But I didn't use any)

PaVQR0a.png

You know how doors and switches get marked with colored bars that mean the door or switch is locked and you need the correctly colored key to open it? It's basically a central idea in Doom. So, whose idea was it to have the switch leading to the red key marked with red bars? I spent over 5 minutes wandering aimlessly around the level trying to find the way forward until I eventually flipped the switch that I thought was locked.

Once you look past that quality design choice, the level is pretty good. Ammo is scarce, forcing you to rely mainly on the berserk fist to punch down most of the low-tier enemies. I do like tyson-ish gameplay even though I'm not too good at it. Health is also rather scarce (I guess I didn't notice the soulsphere while playing.) which makes a rather tense experience when you screw up and end up with like 15 health. The secret rocket launcher, although there is very little ammo for it, provides a nice tool for getting rid of whichever mid-tier enemies annoy you the most (my enemy of choice was the yellow key revenant). After the start of the level, you can choose whether to take the path with the circular staircase or the other path, if you really want to.

That idea is from Whispers of Satan. pcorf is one of the authors of WoS so no wonder the same idea exists in this map.

Map 03 - Escape from Ghost Town:

I wasn't keen on this one. It's quite obvious as to what Plutonia map this is aping and unlike MAP01 it doesn't really carve out an identity for itself. Gameplay? Eh, a lot of it seemed to come down to trial and error: shoot the chaingunners in this order, go up those stairs and kill the enemies at the top of these stairs before you end up with more holes in you than the plot of your average fanfiction. The most egregious fuck-you moment is probably the bit with the chaingunners and SM, with the consolation prize going to the Revenants on the ledge specifically placed to clock you in the back of the head when you aren't expecting it. I didn't enjoy myself and I'm glad I can move on to the next map.

MAP03: Escape from Ghost Town, by Lorenzo|9:11|95% kills|

yGQYxaz.jpg

This level is about as much fun as getting a paper-cut down your urethra. The open-air chaingunners whittle down your health like John Goodman at an all-you-can-eat buffet, and mostly varies on luck. The shitstorm of throwing the player in a cramped area with nary a gun or ammo in sight left to deal with another metric fuckton of hitscanners while a spider mastermind hangs out in the back. Like Obsidian said above, the revenants hiding on that bullshit ledge lent me a death of its own. This is like a comically enlarged parody of Plutonia. The amount of chaingunners and lost souls is absurd. I would rather take a deep dive into a pit of molten lava and stand there while my flesh burns off for a good hour or two than be forced to beat this level again.

uhh it looks good tho and the layout is kinda cool so +1 

On 1.10.2017 at 5:10 PM, dobu gabu maru said:

This was actually our first (or is it second???) voting result that was a tie in the end (it was like 10-10), so I wound up just pulling my vote from the list so I didn't have to participate and could spend my Doom time mapping instead :P

Haha. I guessed that was quite close. But either wad is fine for me. I slightly prefer prcp over pl2 because the former feels more plutonia-like to me and the latter more modern, due to the reasons Memfis mentioned. And the title pic is hilarious.