Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

[Video] DWANGO, The Early History of online Gaming

Nice history lesson. I looked up the DWANGO interface:

DWANGO_lobby_screenshot.png

I wonder what is CPU here? And what is hero\squire\boss\titan?

I think those were player rankings, it seems to have tracked wins and losses. I'm also curious what CPU refers to - ping, maybe? I doubt it's a measurement of CPU usage but I'm not sure.. Good question!

Cool little bit of history Doomkid. Would be nice to see some more history on classic Deathmatch wads & other related stuff.

I've mentioned in the past, but way back in 2009 I actually tried reverse engineering DWANGO with a view to figuring out the network protocol and writing a server for it. DOSbox has modem emulation that lets you "dial" an IP address, so the idea was to resurrect it in a way that could run over the Internet. I actually made enough progress that I was able to get into the lobby:

dwango2.png

Unfortunately the SSD on my laptop died and I lost all my progress. Some day I'd like to give this another try, though it's probably a significant project to take on.

6 hours ago, fraggle said:

I've mentioned in the past, but way back in 2009 I actually tried reverse engineering DWANGO with a view to figuring out the network protocol and writing a server for it. DOSbox has modem emulation that lets you "dial" an IP address, so the idea was to resurrect it in a way that could run over the Internet. I actually made enough progress that I was able to get into the lobby:

Unfortunately the SSD on my laptop died and I lost all my progress. Some day I'd like to give this another try, though it's probably a significant project to take on.

I remember being excited by this when you mentioned it a few years ago - I'd love to see it functioning at some point but I know it's a lot of work for a little gain, so I understand if you're pretty much done with it. I just like the idea of a chat lobby and Doom game launcher that all functions from within DOSbox!

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I remember being excited by this when you mentioned it a few years ago - I'd love to see it functioning at some point but I know it's a lot of work for a little gain, so I understand if you're pretty much done with it. I just like the idea of a chat lobby and Doom game launcher that all functions from within DOSbox!

I still want to have another try at it at some point, because I think it could be a fun project. But I already have a bunch of other projects to finish first.

Argentum made a comment on the video that I thought was an excellent point which I only very briefly touched on. In the video I mentioned how heat.net and many other alternatives were more accessible and cheaper for the majority of people, but check out how crazy the pricing was:

I think it's important to note just how expensive the service was at the time. From their tech support page in early 1997: Subscription rates were $7.95 (USD) per month, giving the player 5 hours per month of playtime on the servers. Players could also buy extra hours: 10 hours for $19.00, 20 hours for $34.00, 40 hours for $59.00

This certainly was a big nail in the coffin. It's not too surprising people were willing to pay those rates when it was still a revolutionary idea, but it was a model that really couldn't have continued to work even if the various other factors that led to Dwango's demise weren't in place. I thought this was interesting and retrospectively it would have been pertinent info to include in the video