Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Random Image Thread

Mount Erebus info:

NpN4Oy5.jpg

YDcs3uE.jpg

EVOAj1G.jpg

Taken at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. Not the greatest quality images, but readable.

14 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

It's the unicow!

123.jpg

Usually if an animal loses a horn when it's young the other horn will center out. It's quite common with goats.

* edit *

I take back what I said, it's not cutting one horn off and it centers back, it's actually banding the horns from a young age and so when they grow older the horns grow together as one. It's common with goats and this is a 100% man made thing.

Edited by geo

42 minutes ago, geo said:

Usually if an animal loses a horn when it's young the other horn will center out. It's quite common with goats.

You learn something new everyday.

"Grab the all new Bacon Maple Chicken Sandwich with 100% Canadian chicken topped with swiss cheese, Applewood smoked bacon and a maple glaze all between a warm, flaky croissant bun. A Canadian’s love for maple is forever, but this sandwich is only for a limited time."

Wendy%E2%80%99s-Introduces-New-Bacon-Map

5 hours ago, geo said:

Haven't heard of it before. At least deers and reindeers grow their horns back. And they are a longevity-delicacy among men in particular when dried and ground into powder. They possess some growth-hormone like rejuvenating abilities when ingested + the secret bed medicine of native people in Lapland (Northern Finland) :D 

8 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

You learn something new everyday.

4 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Haven't heard of it before. At least deers and reindeers grow their horns back. And they are a longevity-delicacy among men in particular when dried and ground into powder. They possess some growth-hormone like rejuvenating abilities when ingested + the secret bed medicine of native people in Lapland (Northern Finland) :D 

I take back what I said, it's not cutting one horn off and it centers back, it's actually banding the horns from a young age and so when they grow older the horns grow together as one. It's common with goats and this is a 100% man made thing.

Any animal with a single horn is a unicorn. It doesn't have to be a horse.

4042442717_6a9aa4af57_b.jpg

aca811dd.jpg

The best reason for both genders to stay in school and make lots of money.

... then Gabe probably heard about lawsuits from touching fans for photos. So he went with "hover hand."

SRdu9G4.jpg

sAn3G0X.jpg

Nicki-Westwood.jpg

1 hour ago, Ichor said:

bCwmm36.jpg

While i am not against the message given by the poster. The position of the gears made me cringe as they simply cannot work together.

Suppose if u rotate student gear clockwise, the teacher gear and the parent gear will rotate anticlockwise and those two will clash with each other.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:44 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

46507584_816417908690500_275920649841541

No one told him about video games and then he saw grandchildren playing Call of Duty. He shot the monitor and now is going to HQ for new orders.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:12 PM, Grazza said:

All taken in New Mexico last Saturday:

PNffL8p.jpg

Trinity Test Site, White Sands Missile Range. The site is open to the public two days each year.

rikAoFp.jpg

Random piece of earth near Ground Zero. If you zoom in, you can see small pieces of Trinitite.

So two questions, or 1. Depending on how you look at it: 1.) The Trinity Test Site: is that where the device was exploded? Or just the general area? Because it looks decent enough, for a nuclear detonation. If so, is it safe for people to be in the area? It has to be radiated, to some degree, right? 2.) Reading the wikipedia page for Trinitite you provided, some people make jewelry out this material. Is that safe? I know I sound like a broken record, but I always thought any type of radiation was bad and should be avoided. 

Edit: looking at my post, I just realized I asked multiple questions. ::facepalm:: My bad.

12 hours ago, Chewyninja69 said:

1.) The Trinity Test Site: is that where the device was exploded? Or just the general area? Because it looks decent enough, for a nuclear detonation. If so, is it safe for people to be in the area? It has to be radiated, to some degree, right?

2.) Reading the wikipedia page for Trinitite you provided, some people make jewelry out this material. Is that safe?

The obelisk marks the center of the foot of the 100-foot tower on which the device was detonated. In the blast photos (such as this one), it is the point at ground level below the center of the fireball. The tower was mostly vaporized, but a small distance from the obelisk you can still see the twisted, melted remnants of one of the feet of the tower.

It is safe to visit the site. Radiation is all around us, and the radiation level in the area is fairly low. While it is elevated above that of the surrounding area, there are many sources of radiation that expose us to higher levels and that we tend to view as inoccuous. There was a sign at the site that gave information on this, presumably to reassure anyone who was nervous. I could post an image of it, but it's simpler to quote from this page:

One hour at Trinity Site ground zero = one half mrem

Cosmic rays from space = 47 mrem at Denver per year, 28 mrem at St. Louis

Radioactive minerals in rocks and soil = 63 mrems per year on Colorado Plateau

Radioactivity from air, water and food = about 240 mrem per year

About six mrem per chest X-ray, 65 mrem per hip X-ray and 110 mrem for a CAT Scan

Watching television = less than one mrem per year

Wearing a plutonium-powered pacemaker = 100 mrem per year

So you wouldn't want to live there long term - that would be similar exposure to having a CAT Scan twice a month.

Trinitite is indeed radioactive, though at relatively low levels. Geiger counters get quite noisy when pointed at the stuff. Making jewelry out of it probably isn't great idea, and wearing it for long periods even less so. But you won't get sick just from being near the stuff for a while.

If you're keen to investigate radiation in the world around you, then there are some inexpensive Geiger counters available. Strongly recommended if you plan to visit the Russian Arctic too.

Since this is the random image thread, here's an admittedly not so random image:

bp1PhoA.jpg

Taken in Roswell, New Mexico