Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Over 50 Dead In Las Vegas Shooting

On October 1, 2017, over 50 people were killed in a shooting during the Route 91 event as Jason Aldean was performing. The shooter, identified as Stephen Craig Paddock, shot from a window of the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay hotel. The shooter later killed himself as the authorities figured out where he was. This massacre broke the record of the deadliest massacre in the USA. This is just terrible, and it's sad that there are people who want to do this. What's scary for me is that my mom and step dad went to Las Vegas months ago, so if they went later during that time, they might have been hurt or even killed.

Go here for more information:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooting-last-night-stephen-paddock-live-updates/

Vegas (Henderson specifically) is my favorite city/place to have ever lived and I really hope me and my family all end up moving back there sometime down the road.

This is the tragedy that has struck me the most out of the ones happening the last 10 years because I don't like seeing my city attacked. Curse this fucker for ruining it and trying to associate his name with the city and musical event like some others have done.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

I almost went there with my parents. Because I have to rush home to finish my homework, we didn't go there.

That's pretty scary dude.

Every one at work, plus some of the patients were talking about this today. Some of the victims are from British Columbia, Canada, where I'm from. Apparently the shooter, they were saying, had no history of mental health, and showed no signs of disturbance what-so-ever before this happened. Pretty creepy.

I feel for all the victims. its a terrible tragedy and a great loss.

However, when will this stop being a surprise to people? When you live in a country where any person can walk into a gun store and walk out with an assault rifle, its to be expected. America needs tighter gun laws, screw the NRA, get tighter gun laws, including laws on creating, and importing guns, and you'll see the deaths drop. Theres very few Gun related deaths here in australia compared to america, because we have really tight gun laws. Why cant america follow the same laws?

For shit's sake when will people understand the guns aren't the problem. The people are. The big problem though is that in cases like this you can't know if someone is going to do something. Taking guns away only makes it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves because criminals and people with ill intent will still find a way to do so and get guns. There is no end all solution because people will always do terrible shit one way or another with or without a gun. I'd rather live in a country where I can buy a gun freely than live in one where a criminal can shoot me and I have no defense because of some law.

This is horrible.. I can't believe the death count record has been broken. This shit makes me sick to my stomach. My heart goes out to the families who are feeling completely broken as a result of this disgusting fuckface's heinous shooting spree.

1 hour ago, Phade102 said:

I feel for all the victims. its a terrible tragedy and a great loss.

However, when will this stop being a surprise to people? When you live in a country where any person can walk into a gun store and walk out with an assault rifle, its to be expected. America needs tighter gun laws, screw the NRA, get tighter gun laws, including laws on creating, and importing guns, and you'll see the deaths drop. There's very few Gun related deaths here in Australia compared to America, because we have really tight gun laws. Why cant America follow the same laws?

Many of us have been making this argument 10+ years now, well past the point of getting blue in the face. I don't say this about many topics, but this is one of those cases where someone will only agree with you if they already agreed with you in the first place. It's one of those strange, divisive topics where no amount of evidence or reasoning will sway someone who has already made up their mind. America has a very strong gun-loving culture that we (thank the almighty mother of fuck) don't really have over here. The ship has sailed. For this chunk of human history, America has well and truly made the decision that mass shootings every few months is an acceptable trend that we need not worry about. Totally worth keeping gun laws and regulations completely untouched. Try and bring it up and you will just get told the same debunked-a-thousand-times pullstring responses. Not even worth it.

Mass shootings are just a thing that is going to keep happening regularly in the US. It breaks my heart to say there's zero signs of it slowing down any time soon.

For shit's sake when will people understand the guns aren't the problem. The people are.

Yeah but if they only had access to a pistol or knife or something about 90% of the people dead and injured wouldn't have been. Simple logistics.

Taking guns away only makes it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves because criminals and people with ill intent will still find a way to do so and get guns.

I actually agree that taking them away full stop is a shit idea but does anyone really need an Uzi, AK-47 or other weapon that could lay 50+ to waste in practically the blink of an eye? A handgun isn't enough to kill or injure someone running at you? (That's the only case where your gun would be any use by the way, if they choreographed their attack like a total moron - If they come up behind you and put a gun to your head, good luck Dirty Harrying that shit and shooting him first.)

There is absolutely no reason for extremely powerful weaponry to be on sale. Even if some crazy criminal fuck does have a big ass machine gun of some sort, does that make him impervious to rounds from a Beretta or something? No, of course not. Other than "I like it being legal for sport and don't care if that also means it's way easier for crazy fucks to get their hands on" there's literally no reason for them to be for sale. If a scum fuck wants to get their hands on one, it is FAR easier with them being on shelves all over the place. Yeah the black market might be able to provide.. For about 10x the cost and with 10x the chance of being caught by law enforcement before you even get your hands on it/get a chance to use it.

Have your pistols and manual-reload rifles, I understand Americans need their guns so it's whatever. The fact that no cunt is willing to draw the line in the sand is what brings my piss to a boil. Both sides have this obsession with the "all or nothing" false dichotomy bullshit when it comes to firearm legalization.

I'm not trying to throw shade your way, Nevander. I don't mean any of this as a personal insult or trying to put you down, or anything of the sort. I hate when people resort that that spiteful, vitriolic crap. It's just a topic I've sat racking my brain over for a long time.

Taking guns away only makes it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves because criminals and people with ill intent will still find a way to do so and get guns.

Perhaps there's a deeper problem than just gun laws.

While I think a bit of regulation would work wonders to reduce the death count each time a shooting occurs, I have to agree that there are certainly deeper problems that need addressing. Mental health, first and foremost. To boil a very complex issue down to a simple statement, our culture heavily values many things that are in direct opposition to building a society that values good mental health.

Edited by Doomkid

I went there back in summer of 2015 with a friend. Had a great time. Drank a ton, dined on delicious food, went to a strip club, played slot machines. Sad to hear about this. I've been watching since the news started to unfold late last night. 

Btw, from the footage of the shooting, it sounds like the guy had a full-auto weapon, which have been virtually banned since 1986. Weapons manufactured and purchased before the ban are still legal, but unless this guy was holding onto the gun for 30+ years, it seems unlikely that was the case here. Otherwise, they're virtually impossible to obtain legally. Of course, it's still possible to convert a semi-auto to full auto if you have a bit of machine shop experience, but that's illegal too.

The only other mass shooting I know of where a full auto was used was the McDonalds massacre in 1984.

16 minutes ago, Nevander said:

For shit's sake when will people understand the guns aren't the problem. The people are. The big problem though is that in cases like this you can't know if someone is going to do something. Taking guns away only makes it harder for law abiding citizens to defend themselves because criminals and people with ill intent will still find a way to do so and get guns. There is no end all solution because people will always do terrible shit one way or another with or without a gun. I'd rather live in a country where I can buy a gun freely than live in one where a criminal can shoot me and I have no defense because of some law.

The idea behind gun control is not that it will remove all crime, but that it will curtail random people from just opening fire on gigantic throngs of innocent people and instigating unthinkable atrocities, which is literally occurring on a daily basis at this point.

I live in Australia, which you might know is pretty strict about the whole thing - and I have not been massacred yet. Kinda thankful.

50 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

However, when will this stop being a surprise to people? When you live in a country where any person can walk into a gun store and walk out with an assault rifle, its to be expected. America needs tighter gun laws, screw the NRA, get tighter gun laws, including laws on creating, and importing guns, and you'll see the deaths drop. Theres very few Gun related deaths here in australia compared to america, because we have really tight gun laws. Why cant america follow the same laws?

Wow, you must be really happy this guy wasn't a muslim right and that he used a gun right ? Finnaly an opportunity to talk about your favourite subject.... gun control !!! bawwwww think of the children... 

Anyway, this whole thing is fucking sick, I like country music, country music stars are really down to earth and often you're average joe but can play guitar

Gun control would help, but I still think the real underlying problem here is mental health. This society in America is making people more and more desperate, forcing people to do whatever they have to in order to survive. 

If the problem is a giant snake then gun control would only take care of the head of the snake. You still have to worry about the tail, and that can't be ignored. 

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

For shit's sake when will people understand the guns aren't the problem. The people are.

They won't because statistics show that people with guns are, for some mysterious reason, more prone to shooting (or getting shot) themselves or others than people without guns, and gun laws don't enter into this very basic principle at all, they merely serve to amplify the issue with people being able to legally acquire lethal weaponry.

Pointing a gun at an unarmed citizen to rob them is a vastly different scenario from having to kill an armed citizen because the attempt at robbing them would otherwise be lethal for the thief.

There is no end all solution because people will always do terrible shit one way or another with or without a gun.

There still is the better solution of not allowing people to legally acquire guns and carry those with them at virtually all times. There are less cases of people getting shot and killed in countries where guns aren't readily available to "law abiding citizens", yes people get robbed there as well, but at least they don't get killed as much, because there's one less thing a thief has to worry about. Ironically the vast majority of people who have fallen victim to the belief that (potentially, like literally just potentially) carrying a lethal weapon is a functioning method of self defense fail to face simple facts, because belief systems (such as the bone headed belief that carrying lethal weaponry as a safety measure "works") don't give a crap about facts.

I'd rather live in a country where I can buy a gun freely than live in one where a criminal can shoot me and I have no defense because of some law.

I'd rather live in a country in which criminals don't expect me to be potentially able to outright kill them as a self-defense measure, than being shot at by criminals who just want to make sure they get to live another day.

Can't wait to see what the pro-gun ideologists are going to throw at me in spite of all the statistics which imply that more restrictive gun laws are the objectively better way of doing things. But hey let's not let facts get in the way of the super awesome feeling that is carrying a super cool weapon around, right?

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/us-gun-policy-global-comparisons
GunPolicyChart.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.de/americas-gun-problem-2015-6?r=US&IR=T

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

10 minutes ago, Trupiak said:

bawwwww think of the children...

Any other enlightening remarks?