Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Brand New Doom 2 Trick

Silly Doomguy... I guess when you've been killing the same demons for almost 2.5 decades you want to get creative.

Not sure if it counts as a trick, but it will make for a great summer dance of the season. Macarena with demons. The jariospaz.

I propose "jario glide", "elevario", or "monster-induced instantaneous vertical coordinate transmogrification".

Hmm, monster induced? I thought it's similar to how sometimes objects change their position when a nearby floor is moving.

1 hour ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

Plot twist: to whose post was that a reply? :) He's discovered this before, in 2015. Perhaps the chemicals have affected his memory ;)

@Revved also caught it on camera in Jenesis map30 in 2012, and @Anima Zero in an easter egg demo on ksutra map09 in 2005.

It'll be interesting to see if it is an exploitable trick or just a weird bug that requires a number of unlikely coincidences.

Oh, I didn't know about Revved and Anima's demos. The post was the reply to the thread's name.

Yes, it's probably exploitable in cases where falling down is much slower and there's a PE nearby.

5 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

Yes, it's probably exploitable in cases where falling down is much slower and there's a PE nearby.

The problem as I see it is that you are stuck inside the dead lost soul until it loses its MF_SOLID bit, at which point P_CheckPosition starts functioning again correctly and you are clipped correctly back to the top of the moving platform. Before that happens, you can't move at all, you can only spin around on the spot. So I don't see how it can be used as a fast way to the bottom of a slow lift (thinking about a situation like, say, the start of MM2 map19, where there is a lift with gaps around the sides) -- because during the period where you've fallen through the floor of the lift, you can't disengage from the bit you've fallen through (although I'd love to be proved wrong here!) You might have a layout where the fallthrough allowed you to shoot a button earlier than you might otherwise, but it'd need a very specific, favourable map design. Stranger things have happened though.

I managed to get out of the wall testing with turbo (edit: actually turbo wasn't even needed), so if you have enough speed you should be able to stay on the floor. I think if you just use idclip and go into a wall and idclip to get stuck you can easily get out of the wall again if you are not too far in, I assume it works the same way.

@ZeroMaster010 Indeed but remember you need to unstick yourself not just from the wall, but also from the dead lost soul, before it reaches A_Fall(). And I would expect the area of intersection of your and its hitboxes to be high; it's more likely the failed spawn was right on top of you. From such a large overlap, you would need a truly enormous buildup of speed to be able to escape. How to achieve than in a spot where it might be useful, I leave in your capable hands!

37 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

Well there we go. Never mind what I said, it is obviously both possible, and useful. I never thought being stuck in a failed lost soul spawn while hanging over the edge of a moving platform could be weaponized, but here we are. I'm very impressed :)

Edited by RjY : Replying to @38_ViTa_38

How do I play Doom more like you? Please don't say amphetamines. Teach me how to dougie j4rio teach me teach me how to dougie

I've discovered that it can be used to trigger LV15 and PL26 secrets (which were thought to be impossible), we suggest that the name "j4riorocks zero-trigger press" is a suitable name for this major discovery. Afterall, it is now possible to legitimately max both Doom 2 and Plutonia, and it turns out that all the youtube comments which were basically calling us idiots for skipping it, were infact correct.

I for one am looking forward to the new Doom 2 and Plutonia uv-maxes, which will by no doubt spend a lot of time trying to get this to actually work.

pl26 included for proof, tested on lv15 as well.

pl26-secret.zip