Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeorgeCostanza94

I'm getting so frustrated with PC gaming lately.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCostanza94 said:

It just doesn't seem right when 5% I'm having fun, and 95% of the time fixing rediculous issues.

If you're spending that much time fixing issues, you're either not learning anything at all or are repeatedly doing something very wrong.

You only have yourself to blame for going into an open platform and expecting things to just work like a console. PC gaming is an intimate thing, you build the machine, you spend the hard earned cash, it's up to you to maintain it so you can have your better graphics, backwards compatibility, mod support, etc.

When shit hits the fan, you have to be ready to buckle down, sometimes for a few hours or even days depending on the severity of the issue, and zone in on the issue. It's best to break it all up by the part like people have told you to do and use the process of elimination. If all the hardware is good, it's probably software related. And not everyone has this, but it's a good reason to keep old parts around like power supplies, GPUs, and RAM.

21 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

If you're spending that much time fixing issues, you're either not learning anything at all or are repeatedly doing something very wrong.

You only have yourself to blame for going into an open platform and expecting things to just work like a console. PC gaming is an intimate thing, you build the machine, you spend the hard earned cash, it's up to you to maintain it so you can have your better graphics, backwards compatibility, mod support, etc.

When shit hits the fan, you have to be ready to buckle down, sometimes for a few hours or even days depending on the severity of the issue, and zone in on the issue. It's best to break it all up by the part like people have told you to do and use the process of elimination. If all the hardware is good, it's probably software related. And not everyone has this, but it's a good reason to keep old parts around like power supplies, GPUs, and RAM.

I think I should clerify that my issues are mostly performance related. Besides that, my problems are often things that are new to me, so I have to learn how to deal with it. I've had a number of issues in the past where they've come up before, and I was able to fix them just fine. It's just the latter often leaves me stumped, and it's so tiring.

I have never said I expect it to work like a console. I expected it to be complicated and difficult. I'm saying that sometimes, I miss the simplicity. 

I've said multiple times already that I'm willing and have, multiple times, pulled up my sleeves and went elbows deep into the issues for hours to days at a time. But I guess I'm not as good as I should be.

As for your other suggestions, I think my issue for performance is software, I have yet to properly test my games after reinstalling Windows and fixing the driver issue, so I'll see what happens.

I enjoy working on pc's, so I guess I can't completely relate to your stress. Also Geek squad is super duper worthless and expensive. If you ever take your pc somewhere else, I recommend looking for other businesses that do computer repair. 

Hey I'd just like to say that I finally got to test some games out after refreshing Windows, and that seems to have done it! My games appear to be working quite well and smoothly now. Thanks to those who posted helpful suggestions! I really wasn't expecting any tech support, just a rant. But it seems like most of my stuff is working pretty well now!

2 hours ago, GeorgeCostanza94 said:

Hey I'd just like to say that I finally got to test some games out after refreshing Windows, and that seems to have done it! My games appear to be working quite well and smoothly now. Thanks to those who posted helpful suggestions! I really wasn't expecting any tech support, just a rant. But it seems like most of my stuff is working pretty well now!

In that case, something software related went FUBAR in your old OS install. Glad to hear it's fixed.

Lagging in Doom 3 on a 970 and i5 should've been enough warning that something is wrong with software :P. Even a shitty integrated card runs it at high fps now.