Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

Hacking the actual PSX Doom?

First, I modified the original map using a DOOM Builder modified by me, I also modified a node builder, the big problem is to input the data to the CD because the CDMAGE replaces all the original game's data but it doesn't insert new bytes, that's why I needed to get rig of several sectors to create new structures in order to not exceed cd's wad size.

Notice: the map is charged without compression as I use PSXMAKE to compress in inner lumps but it doesn't compress them that well at all and it gives me an error of "inconsistences/leaft".

by the way, is there any program to modify the cd data freely to tests bigger maps in terms of file size?

21 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

First, I modified the original map using a DOOM Builder modified by me, I also modified a node builder, the big problem is to input the data to the CD because the CDMAGE replaces all the original game's data but it doesn't insert new bytes, that's why I needed to get rig of several sectors to create new structures in order to not exceed cd's wad size.

Got it. I've tried to modify the nodebuilder, but failed.

22 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

by the way, is there any program to modify the cd data freely to tests bigger maps in terms of file size?

I think that such programm exists, but at this moment I don't know which one will help us in this. I'll search for it. Maybe I'll find something.

4 hours ago, Gothic said:

Cool, I didn't know PSX Doom could do the same fake 3D floor trick like Doom 64.

Both games use the exact same engine (though DOOM 64 adds at least one new lump MACROS), so it makes sense.

Or at least that's what I know of both games.

5 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Hmmm, when I always come out with something surprising almost everyone gets silenced and I wait questions and answers, well it doesn't matter.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I was editing the Hangar level and these were the results:

*youtube video*

Brilliant!

9 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I've did a research and I've found that CDMage is the best that we can use in PSX iso hacking. Sad.

We can use an alternate method - I've also used it when I did a GBA Doom 1 hack:

Just replace ALL maps with empty wads and you will have a free space for maps. You remain dependent on the maximum number of bytes of memory, but you can create the really big map for testing.

For actual making "the hack"  - this method have a trouble - you should manage the mapsize and filesize of the level to get all needed maps in your project.

Edited by DeXiaZ

6 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Both games use the exact same engine (though DOOM 64 adds at least one new lump MACROS), so it makes sense.

Or at least that's what I know of both games.

Yeah but unfortunately Williams never exploited this.

1 hour ago, Gothic said:

Yeah but unfortunately Williams never exploited this.

Williams and Midway were sorta owned by the same company, but I get your point.

I guess it's either because;

a.) Williams' programmers had no time adding much more stuff to the levels, or

b.) they just didn't feel like improving them further (given it's originally based on Atari Jaguar port's engine, known for its map limitations).

I'm not sure, but there are another console Doom source releases (Jaguar Doom?). May be there are some similarities between them like LEAFS lumps?

On 11/2/2018 at 5:30 AM, DeXiaZ said:

I've did a research and I've found that CDMage is the best that we can use in PSX iso hacking. Sad.

We can use an alternate method - I've also used it when I did a GBA Doom 1 hack:

Just replace ALL maps with empty wads and you will have a free space for maps. You remain dependent on the maximum number of bytes of memory, but you can create the really big map for testing.

For actual making "the hack"  - this method have a trouble - you should manage the mapsize and filesize of the level to get all needed maps in your project.

Thanks for your search and information, but I am achiving bigger results with PSXDoom CD, I can put in new maps with more bytes without altering the game's execution; on these days I'll upload a new video to show the results! :)

Spoiler

0sic7oo069bfd21zg.jpg

Nightmare imp? Yeah, I remember about "flags" which allow to make every monster look different (for example - THE spectre cacodemon in the original PSX doom)

Looking forward for your video!

Lol,  this looks good. I was experimenting with this stuff a few years ago. I was able to replace MAP01 with a custom map, but in the game the map was messed up - something like the Tutti-frutti effect. I tried to play it on my PSX too, but it crashed right after the loading screen.  It is nice to see it working kinda properly. Good job !

BTW - In some old PSX hacking post Kaiser wrote, that he had lost all the stuff regarding console hacking and he is not interested in resuming work on it.

Edited by Kloki38

On 2/15/2018 at 0:13 PM, Erick194 said:

Hide contents

0sic7oo069bfd21zg.jpg

Nightmare imp returned? Guh-reat!

It's simply way too exciting for me, to say the least.

I'm not entirely sure what you did or how you did it, but if it means we're closer to mapping for pure PSX Doom, consider me very excited. Keep it up! 

6 hours ago, VGA said:

PSX Doom and Doom 64 really share the same engine?!

Yep, they do, but as far as I know, DOOM 64 added at least one new thing; the MACROS lump (the one doing various actions previously impossible in the original DOOM engine, e.g. security camera a la Duke3D, insta-death when picking up the soulsphere in Hectic).

Hope Erick194 completes GZDoom Master Edition. I personally would love to see mods being made for these.

I also hope that things like LEAFS and MACROS lump is supported in that TC, so that people can make maps for them.

On 2/15/2018 at 4:54 PM, Kloki38 said:

but in the game the map was messed up - something like the Tutti-frutti effect.

Tutti-frutti effect : PSX Edition. Most probably caused by the PSX renderer being an straight port of the PC renderer.

I lol'd at nightmare cacodemon...
PSXDOOM_ENERGY.gif
Also those fireblu-like texture is unused in original PSX Doom. It goes unused here but later appears in the PSX version of Final Doom.

I can say that I'll definitely will add every "lost" level into PSX Doom. With nightmare demons ;P

But only if Erick allow to create maps with his reworked level editor, of course.

If only I could get OpenPS2Loader's PS1 loading addon working.

I hope this knowledge doesn't get lost from lack of release.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
On 2/19/2018 at 3:01 AM, VGA said:

PSX Doom and Doom 64 really share the same engine?!

They share the Doom engine, but I seriously doubt the 16-bit PS1 hardware renderer shares very much if anything in common with the N64 version and that is pretty much half of the engine they almost certainly don't share

On 21/2/2018 at 1:37 AM, DeXiaZ said:

I can say that I'll definitely will add every "lost" level into PSX Doom. With nightmare demons ;P

But only if Erick allow to create maps with his reworked level editor, of course.

You're right, but I was using a modified Doom Builder2 and I better used the most recent version of GZDoom Builder and it can open maps using PSXDoom format now, here's an example of editing and inserting the map again:

Edited by Erick194

16 hours ago, Erick194 said:

You're right, but I was using a modified Doom Builder2 and I better used the most recent version of GZDoom Builder and it can open maps using PSXDoom format now, here's an example of editing and inserting the map again:

That's...something shocking. I never thought that official Doom Builders will handle PSX format. Ok, I'll update my GZDoom Builder, but the second problem is hacking CD image. I see in your video that you're using Image creator tool, is there a detailed tutorial how to use it?

1 hour ago, DeXiaZ said:

That's...something shocking. I never thought that official Doom Builders will handle PSX format. Ok, I'll update my GZDoom Builder.

Hola, I was reading the post and found something was terribly wrong with my brother's last post. We forgot to tell that he downloaded the most recent GZDOOM Builder and modified to run PSX Doom map format. Sorry for the misleaded post, we were excited to post that!! But certainly it will happen that GZDoom builders will run them too! 

Well , "terribly wrong" it's kind of an exaggeration xD , but I guess some people assumed that this was already implemented in newer versions of GZDoom Builder , I personally assumed that it was a modified version of it considering that you guys already have a modified version of GZDoom 1.9 , so it makes sense to have an edited version of GZDB to be more comfortable while you guys are working on this.

By the way , some tips about what programs do you use to create the cd images and patching would be very appreciated c:

On dimanche 11 février 2018 at 6:09 AM, taufan99 said:

That's like saying Heretic and Hexen use the exact same engine. It'd be more proper to say the Doom 64 engine was derived from the PSX Doom engine. The simple addition of "at least one new lump" should be enough to not make it the exact same engine.

They differ in rendering features (Doom 64 has up to 5 different light colors per sector, instead of just one for PSX Doom), thing types (PSX Doom does not have the laser weapon or the mother of demons; Doom 64 does not have revenants or spider masterminds), map format (things and sectors lump are different; LIGHTS is a map lump in Doom 64 but a global lump in PSX Doom; the MACROS you mentioned), and map progression. Also they run on different platforms, the sound and graphic data are in different formats, textures are managed differently, and so on and so forth.