Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

Hacking the actual PSX Doom?

8 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I personally feel like GZDoom master edition needs to be based off GZDoom 3.x.x.

My brother have already made that and it WORKS!!! There's a beta test you can watch on his YouTube channel. 

Guest DILDOMASTER666
8 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

I personally feel like GZDoom master edition needs to be based off GZDoom 3.x.x.

There is no technical reason for that, fwiw

Not meaning to bump or anything, but I wonder how the progress is so far, would love to port some deathmatch maps to PSX DOOM because, me and my brother have a Link Cable and still looking into cleaning my PS1 as my brother got his.

19 hours ago, Baratus 95 said:

Not meaning to bump or anything, but I wonder how the progress is so far, would love to port some deathmatch maps to PSX DOOM because, me and my brother have a Link Cable and still looking into cleaning my PS1 as my brother got his.

Whoah. That's the motivation to port also the DM maps specially for you two.

I have a question to you, @DeXiaZ. What would you do about making the Icon Of Sin levels? because they're not included in the PSXDoom.exe. I've been trying to modify the PSXDOOM.exe and have no results yet, to be honest, I'd like to make a complete version of PSXDOOM and PSXFINALDOOM. The Lost Levels in their own respective game. 

Edited by Erick194

Well, I think we could imitate this final battle without "dehacked" editing.

I mean, I've tried to do this when the Lost Levels TC was in WIP stage.

1) As I remember in PSX Doom uses an upgraded "tag666" system - Barons triggers E1M8's exit wall, Cyberdemon triggers E2M8's exit wall, Pain Elementals triggers "Threshold of Pain" exit wall, Spider Mastermind triggers "Redemption Denied" exit wall, etc...

So, we can add, for example, Baron of Hell instead of the Romero's head with such tag. When you'll kill Baron of Hell with rocketlauncher - he will trigger some wall to the exit (must be added somewhere on this map).

2) Monsters looped spawn. I think we should use the same thing as Doom 64 did. Instead of the infinite spawning we should just add a lot of monsters (of course, according to PSX game limits).

What do you think?

That's your good answer and inclusive I was thinking something simililar like you, now that you just mention the famous "tag666" and according to what I have seen in  the source code, it can be used in all of the maps; another thing, I did an experiment with the PSXDOOM.exe several weeks ago and I enabled map60 and inclusive I was able to extend it to map64 but the only thing is the map name would fail and the music wouldn't be played.

The first thing aquires me is that i was on gzdoom builder and i was actually knowing what fragport would look like with psxdoom. so about knowing what fragport would look like with the playstation doom format?

On 09.04.2018 at 7:54 AM, Erick194 said:

I was able to extend it to map64 but the only thing is the map name would fail and the music wouldn't be played.

Is it possible to make the inverted way of this?

I mean, we can create the fully 4-episoded Doom (with few extra PSX maps) and map "Threshold of Pain" just finishes the game into Title Screen.

And after that we can make the second "hack" with Full Doom 2 in the same way.

19 minutes ago, RonLivingston said:

What do people actually use to hack the actual psx doom anyway?

well, actually @DeXiaZ was trying to hack it but he got no results then I dedicate myself to create some programs to hack PSXDOOM, these programs haven't been relesed yet. I think you should read the thread from the beginning to get more info about this, friend.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:41 AM, DeXiaZ said:

Is it possible to make the inverted way of this?

I mean, we can create the fully 4-episoded Doom (with few extra PSX maps) and map "Threshold of Pain" just finishes the game into Title Screen.

And after that we can make the second "hack" with Full Doom 2 in the same way.

If you are referring to make CD Images, of course they can be make but, I will keep on thrying to expand PSXDOOM.exe and it might be done with 75 levels in a unique CD Image, I hope to do that at least. If i couldn't manage to do it, certainly I will consider your request about this.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:57 PM, RonLivingston said:

The first thing aquires me is that i was on gzdoom builder and i was actually knowing what fragport would look like with psxdoom. so about knowing what fragport would look like with the playstation doom format?

Hello, correct me if I'm wrong but are you referring to running Fragport.wad in PSXDoom format? 

2 minutes ago, RonLivingston said:

Yes i'am

Good, my friend. If you wanna see it, you must wait until everything gets done. You know, the programs and so on. If you want to get and idea about it, you could watch a video my brother @Erick194 made and posted on this thread about making PSXDoom levels on GZDOOM builder using PSXDOOM format. Stay tuned!

Hello @DeXiaZ, I was trying to expand the original PSXDoom.exe but it was very complicated, so I'm gonna take your suggestion about making each game in separated CD's, but I think I'm going to make it better though... I explain:

I've created a new menu screen for the Play Station which runs the different .exe programs of the games where the player will have to select the wished game either Ultimate Doom, DoomII, Master Levels, TNT and Plutonia and it will be run.

Of course we have to modify the level's position including the new ones, I'm also thinking of doing it as a "Communitary Project" but I'm not that sure though, I would have to test you when creating the missing levels that keep and look the most similar possible as the level I incorporated some time ago. By the way, the new menu screen looks great! Don't forget this project will be done by GEC which will be called Master Edition and it will bear the GEC logo in it... If I made this project communitary, then the name of those members who make new maps will be shown and it will bear the Doomworld logo as well. What do you think?

I think you've posted the great news. I'm impressed by your progressive results!

And I'd say that making it as "Community Project" is really good idea. I know a lot of people who will be intererested in such project. I can't say that everyone of them will participate, but I'm sure some of them will help us with mapping.

Ok...Some crazy shit goes here: LOST AVENGERS. ASSEMBLE!

@Dragonsbrethren

@Eris Falling

@Gez

@Salahmander2

@NoneeLlama

@fenderc01

@Avoozl

@pcorf

@Cryo

@BaronOfStuff

Other people which I didn't called for (mentioned) I'll ask in "another way".

I think that old "team" who did this for GZDoom possibly would be interested to do it for Actual PSX.

Anyway, if you're need something from me - just say, I'll do my best.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Why did you post in this thread which is about modifying the actual PSX game to talk about the GZDoom project, thus giving me a useless notification

Just now, DILDOMASTER666 said:

Why did you post in this thread which is about modifying the actual PSX game to talk about the GZDoom project, thus giving me a useless notification

Why the fuck would I ever necro that old thread?

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Then what was the point of posting at all

19 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Edit: I can't see BaronOfStuff visiting this forum.

Yeah, that's true. BUT I thought that maybe (about a 1% chance) he will even notice this...

BTW, possibly it will make a sense to also call for:

@scalliano

@RockHardGamer 45

@Dant3

Those guys did their own versions of PSX Doom (Threshold of Pain, Fall of the Triton and the Forgotten Chapter)

This stuff is so wicked, never would have figured that the engines for PSX Doom and Doom 64 were directly related. Makes me wonder if Doom 64 EX could be extended to support PSX Doom levels.

Out of curiosity, which version have you guys been editing? 'Doom' or 'Final Doom'? The only reason I ask is because of mouse support — Final Doom had it, but PSX Doom was strictly controller-only. I have a one-handed PS1 controller + PSX mouse setup specifically for Final Doom, it's about as close to keyboard+mouse as you can get on PS1. I'd love to experience proper PSX Doom with the same setup.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:33 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

I am hoping that the GZDoom project is still alive.

Edit: I can't see BaronOfStuff visiting this forum.

Of course that the GZDoom project is still alive but this one has become more important right now, thanks for aasking, friend!

46 minutes ago, Lollie said:

This stuff is so wicked, never would have figured that the engines for PSX Doom and Doom 64 were directly related. Makes me wonder if Doom 64 EX could be extended to support PSX Doom levels.

Out of curiosity, which version have you guys been editing? 'Doom' or 'Final Doom'? The only reason I ask is because of mouse support — Final Doom had it, but PSX Doom was strictly controller-only. I have a one-handed PS1 controller + PSX mouse setup specifically for Final Doom, it's about as close to keyboard+mouse as you can get on PS1. I'd love to experience proper PSX Doom with the same setup.

we (my brother Erick actually) have been editing both games but we weren't aware about the mouse support currently, I think I must discuss about  this with my brother. Your request is quite interesting :)

As far as I know the "Final Doom" is not even can be extracted. I mean, maps from PSX Final Doom were packed into new format. And as far as I remember PSX TC Team just recreated those maps by using PC version.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

my brother managed to extracted them :)

Well, that's will be good to use Final Doom due to Mouse support.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

we really hope people join to the party soon.

I've asked some people about this - they are "ready". Just waiting for the info & tools for start doing things.

5 hours ago, DeXiaZ said:

As far as I know the "Final Doom" is not even can be extracted. I mean, maps from PSX Final Doom were packed into new format. And as far as I remember PSX TC Team just recreated those maps by using PC version.

Actually they did not remake the Final Doom maps; someone managed to make a program to extract the maps from the ROM just like Kaiser's PSXMAKE program: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/57957-psx-doomfinal-doom-tc-version-2135-now-released/?do=findComment&comment=1031772

Uh, thank you very much for explanation.

I've tried to Google it about a year ago and I didn't find anything. Huh.

This project definitely interests me. My real goal with the Lost Levels was always to see them running in the actual engine on the real hardware. I doubt I'll have that much time to dedicate to it, but if someone writes a thorough guide to modifying a map to run on hardware, I'll take a shot at it.