Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
melodica

TPLANT.wad (Toxics Management Center)

"An abandoned UAC Toxics Management Center has been found to still contain demonic beings locked in thanks to emergency protocols in the base itself. Go in and eradicate the remaining menace!"

Screenshots

Download

Only replaces MAP01. Vanilla compatible. Tested in Chocolate Doom and Zdoom. Feedback is appreciated!

Originally posted in a /vr/ doom thread.

Hey, I played your map and I liked that vanilla feel in it. I recorded demo on prboom+(I tried to setup complevel 2 and I played it on hmp skill) you should check it and see how this plays to other people. 

TPLANT_demo.zip

Also, I recorded my demo in video format and posted on youtube. I hope, you'll like it. 

Edited by Myst.Haruko

Worked fine for me in GZDoom and PrBoom+. Nice short map. I was just a little confused by some of the textures that seemed like they would be lifts but weren't.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

It's really encouraging to see that people are liking my map so far, specially because its the first thing I've posted here.

A fun short vanilla map with a nice feel and look to it, I enjoyed it myself. I like the idea of returning to an area close to the beginning of the level as if you were going on trip to find some oddly placed switch from far away. One thing to point out though is that some textures indicate there is a lift to use but there really isn't. Might be better to avoid small things like that to have a map be more consistent overall, but still a good vanilla nonetheless. I recorded a demo on GLBoom+ on Ultra-Violence and at -complevel 2, I do find it odd how the only secret is actually required to go to, but I can set that aside.

tplant_fda.zip

Cute little map. Played before naptime earlier. Thing is the plasma rifle effortlessly smokes the strongest monsters that show up (just a few revenants and HKs), which makes the back third of the map unexciting. What you can do to make the gameplay more fun without increasing the difficulty is team those revenants up with more clusters of low-tier monsters such as imps and troopers with a couple sergeants thrown in -- something to spray down more urgently. The monster placement currently is more suited towards SSG or RL use -- the SSG because it's not quite as overpowered against these monsters, and the RL because despite being stronger than the PR in terms of dps, there is a risk-reward involved with the tight spaces. 

Early on, I spent roughly a minute looking for ways to get the supposedly secret key that turned out to be given out later as part of the map's normal progression. That is probably going to be a common outcome of it being flagged secret, one I don't see as desirable. The radsuit drop into the nukage is the best part, I'd say. Rest feels like it's holding back a bit, even for a map that is intended to be straightforward.

Edit: a quick max. 

Spoiler

Edited by rdwpa

I agree with what has been already said: gameplay seems a bit unbalanced towards the easy side because you get strong weapons (plasma) for mostly little threats. Not a fan of mandatory parts being marked as secrets, even if it's just a detail.