Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Not sure if this is good or bad (Sgt Mark Patreon in question)

Yes... that's so true.

It's a pity when a community spends all of this huge amount of effort in something that doesn't really belongs to the community itself, but that is instead some company's IP. It's like they get workers for free.

Doom doesn't even belong to its own creators. It's not John Romero's IP, instead it's owned by Zenimax media. A company that just buys property as an investment, expecting to make profit from it, just like any other company would (not saying that Zenimax is particuarly evil or anything).

In my opinion, only when something is public domain or openly licensed does it really deserve the title of "Classic". Like Lovecraft novels, classical music, ...and I'm hoping in about 14 years J.R.R. Tolkien works will start becoming public domain too, if no company f*cks it up.

It's a good thing the Doom engine is GPL, but it's a pity the assets are not.

Edited by Ferk

Didn't 90s Id Software take the position that they didn't want people making money off DOOM mods?

Also: I knew from the first post that they just wanted him to change the name. That's what happened with DOOMRL.

Edited by dugan

On 10/5/2017 at 1:09 AM, Gez said:

Didn't he make a "Brutal Doom Starter Kit" based off Freedoom so he had an IWAD to bundle with BD, but BD was still using the edited Doom sprites rather than sprites based on Freedoom's assets so the whole thing was questionable?

Just an idea... would there be interest for an indiegogo campaign to make a version of BD with proper Freedoom compatible GPL assets?

I'd back it up, specially if it also involves revamping some of the animations and assets from Freedoom.

Part of what makes this complicated is the question, is Mark making money off a company's IP, or is he being "gifted" for spending an unusual amount of time on modding?