Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Surprisingly good, in spite of the unconfident presentation. This is a megaWAD of very short, bite-sized maps. The maps look consistent, yet different enough. The combat is well thought-out, it's clear that you knew where you placed the things. Another aspect that deserves praise are the secrets, which are always cleverly hidden and house useful bonuses. The looks of this WAD, however, are where it really shines. Every area is very well detailed, with interconnected passages and very clever map layouts that flow naturally. A very, very strong contender for a Cacoward or at least a runner-up spot. However, I do have to admit that the maps could've used a liiiiiitle more refinement and polish. Regardless of that, an excellent mapset and a no-brainer recommenation to anyone with a good taste in Doom WADs.

9/10

Hi ! and welcome to the forum. If you would like to take time and read this before the harpy hags with sharp claws descend upon your flesh.

I'm stuck on MAP06, killed everything and there's no exit switch. Love the maps though, especially the texturework - it reminds me of Doom Builder for some reason.

Yeah true, that classic startan feel you know? :D Coulda used a little more rectangle though, a couple of parts felt a little less orthogonal than I would have ideally liked

Just some advice, try making this topic more atractive! Give us some screenshots! Maybe a preview, description, dates, things like that! :D 

Btw, welcome! 

In regards to the first series of maps (mywad), you're going to need to do a lot more than small rooms with a couple enemies and John Romero heads laying around like that, especially when most of the rooms use the well loved STARTAN texture all the time. Doesn't help most of these levels (if you can call them that) are only about 10-30 seconds long where they have an abysmally low enemy count all the time and generally easy. A level with one enemy and an exit switch isn't how you start, making one map with decent level design and some varied use of textures helps in knowing where to improve on the looks of the levels, adding open-ended outdoor areas can help too! As for enemies, don't use the Wolfenstein SS like that, it adds on more of how low quality all 16 levels of the WAD are. MAP06 doesn't have an exit by the looks of it and is just a slaughter of Cyberdemons with more poor use of textures, and MAP07 is both unfinished and not even textured at all. In MAP13, a switch you have to press can't even be reached unless you crouch with a ZDoom source port, otherwise it's unbeatable.  Draw out a map layout and have an idea on what it will look and play like, it's a lot better than making small boring maps with nothing but bad flaws to point out all the time.

As for Demon Adventure, the version you uploaded isn't even playable at all, you clip through everything despite that I didn't have noclip on. For a second I thought I was playing a joke WAD with how unfinished it is, not good at all if you want to make maps in the long run.

Edited by GuyNamedErick

Well, you're trying, that's something. But anyway: You're not the youngest around here - some kid has his father help him write a post but this is years ago.

Try to learn building a doom level by imitating the knee deep in the dead stock episode.

Spoiler

My cat was born almost 11 years before you.

44 minutes ago, loganh32708 said:

i'm only 9

Being only 9 does not mean that you can't create Doom levels with all the things that make a "good" level (which will vary person-to-person, anyway). As NeedHealth said, it's good that you're trying. Don't get discouraged by negative feedback, even if some of it comes across as being a bit on the snarky side. I think the vast majority of people on these forums want to be helpful. The most important thing is to keep trying and keep mapping, because your mapping skills will improve.

15 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Try to learn building a doom level by imitating the knee deep in the dead stock episode.

I agree that a good way to start to learn how to do different things in the Doom engine and to learn about monster and item placement is to look at the original maps. That's the best way to learn about doors and lifts and tagging things and mid-textures and level flow and all the other little things that go into a map is to start looking at what has come before. Everyone has done it. I don't think there's a single mapper who has not looked at other people's maps and said, "So that's how they did that."

I know when I got back into mapping, I was trying to make a switch open a door and opened E1M1 to look at how to tag sectors correctly.

By the way, a few things:

Rooms that aren't just rectangles are great, but keep in mind what the floor and ceiling will look like. For example, it looks a little strange if you have lights that are cut off by a wall. You can usually find a similar texture that doesn't have a light that you can actually draw in as a sort of "border" along the walls so that you don't have lights and other features just being cut off. You can set them to invisible so they're not drawn when you bring up the automap.

Every room needs to have a purpose. Not every room needs to be filled with a dozen monsters, but every room needs a reason for being there. Corridors are fine to connect different areas. There's nothing inherently wrong with an empty room that could serve as a breather between encounters, you just don't want to do it too often. You could even arrange it so that there's a possibility that a monster might wander into that empty room, disrupting your "breather." Rooms that are just treasure troves are items probably want to be avoided, but even they could work, too.

Take advantage of the virtual space. Change heights. Use stairs. Have windows that look out from one area to an area below it (or above it). Have more than one way in or out of most rooms. (If you want to have the most flexibility, have at least 3.) Embrace the inherent nonlinearity of the Doom engine and allow the player to explore. You don't always have to just guide them from one place to the next place.

Learn how to make solid walls. The first time I made a map, I thought I had everything laid out, except I could walk through what I thought were solid walls (or there was no wall there in the first place). This will be helpful with applying the previous point about taking advantage of the space. If you have void between two single-sided linedefs that separate two areas, you won't be able to walk through them.

Also, John Romero had a few rules that he designed by. The ones that I've been able to find are:

• always changing floor height when I wanted to change floor textures
  • using special border textures between different wall segments and doorways
  • being strict about texture alignment
  • conscious use of contrast everywhere in a level between light and dark areas, cramped and open areas
  • making sure that if a player could see outside that they should be able to somehow get there
  • being strict about designing several secret areas on every level
  • making my levels flow so the player will revisit areas several times so they will better understand the 3D space of the level
  • creating easily recognizable landmarks in several places for easier navigation

21 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Being only 9 does not mean that you can't create Doom levels with all the things that make a "good" level (which will vary person-to-person, anyway). As NeedHealth said, it's good that you're trying. Don't get discouraged by negative feedback, even if some of it comes across as being a bit on the snarky side. I think the vast majority of people on these forums want to be helpful. The most important thing is to keep trying and keep mapping, because your mapping skills will improve.

thank you for defending me (:

You could probably work on the monster placement, textures, and maybe some of the level design. Other than that, I think it's good. Maybe try out the zdoom map format, there are more things to do in that map format. Could you also upload a more updated version of this wad. I think that would be cool to see.

Edited by bopanog

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181504446 (4th one played in the video, just before the 2 hour mark)

If this is a troll, I've seen better troll maps.

If this is an actual 9 year old, you've got a lot to learn about making Doom maps. A few glimmers of potential though here and there, but mostly this was bad. Commendable effort for a 9 year old though, but with much to improve upon.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:59 PM, loganh32708 said:

there are good ones please play them

mywad.zip

On 10/6/2017 at 6:04 PM, loganh32708 said:

thank you for defending me (:

So it's been a couple weeks, and you haven't posted anything since then. How's the mapping going?

That's a rather large opening room. It'll be interesting to see what you've done with it. It's difficult to tell from the picture above, but it looks like you have a few sectors that are meant to open to reveal enemies. I don't know if you're planning to trigger these remotely, or have them surprise the player, a la the imp in the exit room in E1M1, but those play differently and it's important to consider that.

15 hours ago, Pegleg said:

That's a rather large opening room. It'll be interesting to see what you've done with it. It's difficult to tell from the picture above, but it looks like you have a few sectors that are meant to open to reveal enemies. I don't know if you're planning to trigger these remotely, or have them surprise the player, a la the imp in the exit room in E1M1, but those play differently and it's important to consider that.

ok

On 11/5/2017 at 2:17 AM, loganh32708 said:

anyone

there

hello?

any

one

On 11/5/2017 at 2:18 AM, loganh32708 said:

say goood byee

What's all this about?

On 10/6/2017 at 1:42 AM, GuyNamedErick said:

As for Demon Adventure, the version you uploaded isn't even playable at all, you clip through everything despite that I didn't have noclip on.

no you don't