Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 12/12/2017 at 12:53 PM, loganh32708 said:
On 10/6/2017 at 2:42 AM, GuyNamedErick said:

As for Demon Adventure, the version you uploaded isn't even playable at all, you clip through everything despite that I didn't have noclip on.

no you don't

Yes, you do.

Here are some images:

gK6ZV4e.png

When I discovered this by accident.

2JFBZYC.png

Even the monsters can walk outside of the map and completely ignore the player when they're awakened.

I wouldn't be here if not for your bump, so I should make this post have some actual value.

I have to agree with the others, the effort is good, but there isn't much. I would suggest making maps and practicing before going out and releasing them. Take a look at the IWAD's, see how id made the maps work, and take your time.

We have a topic in the superindex for editing, where people have asked how to plan out maps. Draw out a plan before you map it out, use your imagination to make it interesting. If you need help, you can ask in those threads and we'll help you.

Of course, the trusty Doom Wiki has a set of tutorials for you to get the basics down.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Editing_tutorials

Also, the ZDoom Wiki has an equivalent page, but it's for more advanced objects. I suggest reading the Doom Wiki's pages before attempting to release another map.

As for the Fort Demon map, I can't figure out what happened to it, the only thing I can imagine that might cause this is a huge blockmap error.

Demon series beta looks like you uploaded a series of rooms that were in an incomplete state. There was no exit switch that I could find and only 3 enemies. There were some large empty rooms that you could only reach by no-clipping.

As for Demon Adventure, I don't know what's causing everything to be able to clip through the walls in that map and nothing attack anything, but I opened the level in Eureka and rebuilt the nodes and then saved it. That fixed the clipping problem as well as the issue with enemies not seeing or attacking. So, something got screwy with your nodes and blockmap, I guess. But that's easily remedied.

Now, as for your level itself, there are deeper issues.

I will say this: I like your opening room. I like how it looks and the differences in light and the textures. Unfortunately, you can't get out of it without no clipping because you don't have the door sector tagged to match the tag on the linedef on the door. And since you have a SR action on that line, you need to do that. If the door was just DR then you wouldn't. But you applied a tag of 1 to the door line, so I think you meant to do what you did, even though it wasn't necessary. But that's easy enough to fix.

All your enemies activate and start moving in your direction the first time you fire a shot. What this means is that you end up with enemies basically marching around tight corners and right into your line of fire. So, it's relatively easy to move through the level by just waiting and letting them come to you. The arachnotrons effectively block the path to the weapon and ammo cache, but if you have enough bullets, you can hug the left wall and get close enough so you can deal them enough damage with the chaingun without them being able to hit you. Then all the mancubi come around a corner one at a time and can be picked off.

I do like how you have it set up that you get the chaingun from the chain gunners. But I still think the level is a bit light on ammo for the first half. If you run out of bullets before the arachnotrons die, then you're in a world of hurt, because you have no choice but to try to punch them. I don't even know if that would be possible.

The red key door has the same problem with being switch activated (which I guess you did because you wanted it to be fast-opening) without tagging the door sector. Incidentally, the tag you gave the line was 1, which was the same as the door in the first room. So, I changed it to 2 and proceeded. There's nothing on the other side of the door, so there's no real reason to have it open quickly. The final battle with the arachnotrons and the cyberdemon is relatively simple--you can stand and shoot the cyberdemon through the opening and he can't hit you with his rockets.

Otherwise, the large rooms in the map serve little purpose. Effectively, this map is one long, oddly shaped corridor with some bulges in it. I realize that you want to take advantage of the non-orthogonality of the Doom engine, but just making oddly shaped rooms for the sake of making them oddly shaped does you little good. If you set the ambush/deaf flag on at least some of the monsters, there would be some amount of suspense, because not everything would just come rushing at you. Some of the monsters would lie in wait.

There's no health or armor on the map, either. There are also a number of misaligned textures throughout. I feel like you meant for the final room to seem like it was stretching into nothing. There are better ways to do that than putting the SKY1 texture on the walls. One way would be to put a small border around the room and give it a height of 0 (with the sky ceiling), so it would look like there were no walls at all.

This is also a Boom map, but there is nothing non-vanilla in it.

By the way, interesting story. It even had a nice touch at the end with you partying once you got back home. I guess the red key is the demon stone? If that's the case, you should really think about having some monsters guarding it instead of it just lying on the ground across from the door it opens.

I'm sorry if this seems to come across as harsh. I don't mean to be harsh, but there is a lot of room for improvement. With that said, these are my suggestions. To start with, I agree with what Aquila Chrysaetos said. You've also gotten good advice from others, too. (There was definitely some snark in there, too.)

On 5/21/2018 at 9:49 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Take a look at the IWAD's, see how id made the maps work, and take your time.

We have a topic in the superindex for editing, where people have asked how to plan out maps. Draw out a plan before you map it out, use your imagination to make it interesting. If you need help, you can ask in those threads and we'll help you.

Of course, the trusty Doom Wiki has a set of tutorials for you to get the basics down.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Editing_tutorials

• Start with vanilla mapping. Don't worry about Boom and UDMF and other advanced ports until you get the basics down. Linguica has a number of great tutorials that I suggest you read through. They will give you the foundations.
  • Look at the iwads in an editor and see how they set things up. Look at the structures of the levels. Look at the encounter design. Look at the monster and thing placement. Once you've studied them, you can start looking up other classic levels that you've liked and looking at how those levels are structured.
  • You don't need switch-activated doors unless you're going to actually open a door with a switch in another location.
  • Change up the height and light level in your map. Like I said, I liked your opening room, and one of the reasons was how it looked with the different lighting. But after that, your level was almost entirely 1 height and 1 light level.
  • Add some additional health and ammo along the way. It doesn't need to be a lot, but you don't want to reach a point where the level is basically unwinnable if all you have is your fist. And, in my opinion, having arachnotrons pinning you down on the other side of a narrow opening is the definition of unwinnable if all you have is your fist.
  • Change up the textures. You did that a little, but doing it more will give your level variety.
  • Provide different paths to go. You may have read on these forums that every room should have at least three ways in or out. That provides for freedom of movement, but, ultimately, you just need to provide the players more than one way to go, or at least the illusion that there is more than one way to go.

I think I may have already said some of these things in another post in this thread and others have given you similar suggestions. You've gotten a lot of good feedback.

The bottom line is, keep it up. The only way you'll improve is if you learn from what has gone before and from your mistakes (and your successes).

Good luck!

Ok guys it’s been a long long time since I was on this account but the good thing is i’m Making some new wads for real this time ‘round so stay tuned!

-Logan32708

16 hours ago, loganh32708 said:

Ok guys it’s been a long long time since I was on this account but the good thing is i’m Making some new wads for real this time ‘round so stay tuned!

-Logan32708

Welcome back! It's good to see you didn't let some of the feedback drive you away. Hopefully, you'll take some of the rest of the feedback and improve the maps from it. Because that's the process we all go through.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:18 PM, Pegleg said:

Welcome back! It's good to see you didn't let some of the feedback drive you away. Hopefully, you'll take some of the rest of the feedback and improve the maps from it. Because that's the process we all go through.

I took awhile to reply to this but thanks! I hope to make people smile!

18 hours ago, loganh32708 said:

By the way! I have had a W.I.P .WAD file I wanted to release for a while but never got the chance to, so here it is! And it's a demo.

Knee-Deep-In-Earth.rar

Well I was going to record a gameplay video of it, buuuuut clearly it's not anywhere near done and the part that is done isn't particularly good, you start out in a room with a bunch of pistol zombies, like 10 of them, and weapons and ammo on square pedestals that you can't get on top of without jumping. Then in the next room there are 3 barons but all you have is a normal shotgun and a chaingun so I just ignored them. On the other side of the room there is a blue key hidden behind a switch that lowers and does, uh, something, I didn't really take the time to look and see what was on top of the switch because I figured it probably wasn't going to be anything particularly useful. Then I used the blue key on the door you start out facing away from and the exit is there. Which is just a big empty square room.

TLDR don't release maps you just started working on that only have 2 or 3 poorly made rooms done

edit: oh yeah and the rooms were all completely flat and there was no height variation and almost no texture variation whatsoever and the different textures that were there didn't go together very well, like using techbase doors in a castle room

On 3/30/2019 at 1:32 PM, therektafire said:

Well I was going to record a gameplay video of it, buuuuut clearly it's not anywhere near done and the part that is done isn't particularly good, you start out in a room with a bunch of pistol zombies, like 10 of them, and weapons and ammo on square pedestals that you can't get on top of without jumping. Then in the next room there are 3 barons but all you have is a normal shotgun and a chaingun so I just ignored them. On the other side of the room there is a blue key hidden behind a switch that lowers and does, uh, something, I didn't really take the time to look and see what was on top of the switch because I figured it probably wasn't going to be anything particularly useful. Then I used the blue key on the door you start out facing away from and the exit is there. Which is just a big empty square room.

TLDR don't release maps you just started working on that only have 2 or 3 poorly made rooms done

edit: oh yeah and the rooms were all completely flat and there was no height variation and almost no texture variation whatsoever and the different textures that were there didn't go together very well, like using techbase doors in a castle room

Well I’ve had it for a while now.

I'm working hard on this old megawad I made like 4 years ago! When I release the full megawad I hope y'all will love it!

P.S This is for PegLeg, the one who has been with this thread ever since it started! Thanks, pal, for being there when times were tough on here.

Here's a random gif that tells you about my mental state.

sr-pelo-gif-13.gif

22 minutes ago, loganh32708 said:

I think this thread is dead.

It's only dead because you haven't posted anything on it in a few months.

You can ask for one of the mods to lock it, if you don't intend to update anything more on this thread. Then, when you're ready with your next map or set of maps, you can open a new thread.

Or, you can leave this thread open and use it later. It's your call.

I enjoyed your wads. I hope you take the time to learn how to use the editor properly and work out the bugs. Some of these maps were really fun!