Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Did Doomworld grow recently?

I myself joined in 2015 because i was following Doom 16 news, and at the time pretty much every other gaming community kept bashing the game and ignored every interesting news or rumors, but i was lurking around here since 2006/2007 (i even joined a speedmap event in 2009, where my map was bashed lol), i also lurked the skulltag forums around those years and played on a few survival coop events. I even joined the zdoom forums, but i stopped lurking there. Always looked foward the cacowards every year

While i think doomworld did grew considerably because of the new game, i also think another reason you don't see many users from previous years it's because they stop lurking 

I joined Doomworld after the Vinesauce Doom Mapping Contest, first time I ever actually made a wad and 'released' it. I made the really crap wad "Inside Hells Arsehole", I put way too much detail into the first area and then in the second I had literally no time so I just put the Icon of Sin enemy in a bloodroom completely out of context to quickly end the level. (I didn't even know how to properly end levels apart from that at the time) After that I joined Doomworld because I heard it mentioned in someone elses wad. I lurked for a bit and <actually learned how to make doom wads> and then I started posting just about a month ago.

I'm actually currently making a wad called 'Super Scotland Doom 64' which is going to be a reskin of Doom with new weapons and stuff all themed around Scotland (Because thats where I'm from so it's okay), and also about 3 or 4 levels, already made a working bagpipes weapon so thats cool I guess ;)

5 minutes ago, Grimosaur said:

already made a working bagpipes weapon so thats cool I guess ;)

Someone should put a bagpipe weapon in every weapon mod ever C:

Well at least your bloodroom was better than the one that involved the overkill (imo) amount of backtracking :D Now whenever I can't find where to go in a big map I'm just gonna think "welp guess I should go to the blood room", even if the map doesn't have one lol

I wouldn't have joined if it wasn't for Doom 2016. I only bought it a few weeks ago (I took a long hiatus from video games to learn music), and before I bought it, I was really hyping myself up about SnapMap and building some maps again (I built one or two classic Doom maps years ago, but then Duke Nukem 3D came out and I spent years making maps for that until I got fed up with the weapons, sprites/textures, and a few other things).

Anyways, while I'm still making my way through the 2016 Campaign, I tried to load up SnapMap, but it took forever, and the somewhat negative reviews were disappointing.

At some point, I had a question about Doom 2016 and looked up the Doom subreddit and was shocked to see that the classic Doom modding community was still a thing, and seemingly striving more than ever, so I bought the classic Doom games again and hope to get into map making after I run through the various campaigns.

What caused me to join Doomworld was that I had some questions on some Source Ports, so while I really joined to post a classic Doom question, it was Doom 2016 that pulled me back into the Doom community.

I actually had very little exposure to the Doom community before I joined Doomworld, and honestly didn't ever really think about how the community is structured that much. Growing up, I always thought that Doom's fans were loosely joined and mostly isolated. It wasn't until I had a specific problem with Doom Builder 2 that I couldn't resolve on my own that I joined Doomworld. I had consulted preexisting forum threads in the past for advice on how to fix problems, but never participated in those threads myself (would have made for some massive necroposting). I found that my issue hadn't been addressed in any threads that I could find and decided that the best way to find a solution was to register on Doomworld myself and start the thread. I basically dived head-first into a lovely community that I never realized was so widespread, or large for that matter, and am endlessly glad that I made that decision.

It's a definite possibility. It could also be attributable to the new forum software; I myself didn't join until a while after it was implemented. Until then I could be found on the ZDoom forums.

I played Doom a lot when i was a kid, but for a variety of reasons (a language barrier mostly), i never got into the community. Around 2012 i got into it again after buying it on Steam, along with a couple other games, which made me discover this forum, and the release of Doom 2016 convinced me to make an account. So yeah, Doom 2016 is the culprit here, probably.

My biggest hindrance when writing in english is that my native language doesn't use the x of y construction. Languagewise.

23 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

My biggest hindrance when writing in english is that my native language doesn't use the x of y construction. Languagewise.

Where are you from, I wondered.

8 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Where are you from, I wondered.

Almost central Europe actually. Honestly, this way to phrase things is just a mind a warp for me. I guess, you being chinese, it is this the same for you.

1 minute ago, NeedHealth said:

Almost central Europe actually. Honestly, this way to phrase things is just a mind a warp for me. I guess, you being chinese, it is this the same for you.

Well, I understand that. It takes me quite some time to direct think in English because Chinese and English are two totally different things. Also, the grammar of Chinese is not strict, such as no past tense, no plural form or not limiting one real verb in a sentence. Mostly now I can directly think in English, of course, my English being far from good. If I have to do a translation from Chinese, that would be very frustrating.

Maybe it has to do with this image ? Saw this on /v/ and it reccomended to check out doomworld 

25c95b53de48525b9b4383c03dc21c62dc5644322ff90f52f0a9f33fe7473d70.jpg

1 hour ago, Trupiak said:

Maybe it has to do with this image ? Saw this on /v/ and it reccomended to check out doomworld 

25c95b53de48525b9b4383c03dc21c62dc5644322ff90f52f0a9f33fe7473d70.jpg

Could you link to the original source please? I want to read this, but it's a very low resolution.

I've seen that before and IIRC at the top right there's the URL of a place where you could download the IWADs. So it's probably for the best that it's illegible.

Well it's not like it matters much, you can literally type "doom iwad download" on google and one of the first hits is a site where you can get basically every official idtech1 game iwad for free, so...

5 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Here's an edited version: https://i.imgur.com/kBH43ra.png

No mention of Memento Mori, no mention of CTF, Deathmatch and survival as commonly played gamemodes while mentioning a bunch of shit that's dead as dirt (although I guess DM/survival is kind of implied but clarity would be nice), encourages pirating the iwads, garbage tutorial, put it in the bin

0/10 "It's alright I guess" - IGN

obligatory "I'm mostly joking" spoiler for the slower ones among us