Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(RELEASED!!!) Pigeon Speedmapping Session -- Operation Health

Last call for updates. I'll be compiling the existing ones along with my own later today and releasing this bad boi.

Um, apologies for being lazy and abusive, but could you implement two minor fixes to my map?

1. Pleasez0rz change the action of linedef 1644 to 16388 (making the fire switch gunfire-activated).

2. Evenmorepleasez0rz change the brightness of sector 127 to 160 (making the weapon switch more visible).

If you can't be bothered with doing stuff that I should be doing, then no need for that... it's not like the map will get any better lol. :]

due to a lack of interest in the discord, i have foolishly decided to release the beta now, without any prior testing, so pls inform me of any bugs pronto

i have included all (I think) updates, and have also updated my own map, where i improved balance and the automap, as well as reduced the size of the level to improve performance in poorly made engines

known bugs for the beta:

• some intermission text appears far down the screen when entering that level, but in the correct position during the stats screen
    • i dont know how to fix it and it doesn't appear to be much of an issue anyhow, so we'll leave it (it'll be our little secret)

anways, big thanks to mr. surreily and rjy AND VOLTCOM9 (for the titlepic!!!!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy birthday everyone!!!!!!! :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96soedlgxuj042e/piegon01beta.zip?dl=1

EDIT: update number 5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6781gdrx4wzb5x/pigeon01beta_v2.zip?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gljr7vs8hxh7gq/pigeon01beta_v3.zip?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xojsxz2nen7y0w/pigeon01beta_v4.zip?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ejrfzztp9zz9oi/pigeon01beta_v5.zip?dl=1

Edited by bonnie

2 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

Hey not to nitpick or anything but if you're going to use my titlepic I'd appreciate some credit in the readme.

OH HECK I FORGOT OH MY GOODNESS I'M SORRY pls dont hit me ;~;

i'll put you in the next beta version, or if there aren't any more, then the official release!! i'll edit the op now anyways, i'm sorry!!! :c

Using GZDoom. I was halfway through playing the last draft. Fortunately I was on a map that wasn't updated so I could pick right up at the same spot in the beta. I'll have to go back and play the first half again. Only two maps where I noticed anything. Otherwise nice set.

--------

MAP15

--------

There seems to be nothing to prevent you from jumping down on either side of the AV area and picking them off between the edges of the walls. As a matter of fact, you can pick off one AV from the upper platform, then run and land in his 'cage' (scoring the Yellow Key), but with no way out. Stuck. Should there be some sort of grating there on both sides of the 'pit' to prevent that? Or set the edges of the upper levels to release the AVs if you run off them?

The boxes of rockets are larger than the columns on which they sit, so when they're underground, you can see their edges bleeding through the floor.

If you run into the Red Key building, you could land in one of the Revenant boxes. He'd probably kill you quickly, but theoretically, you could kill him and be stuck.

The roof you land on from the Yellow Key teleport has some odd views. The 90-degree angle on the east wall of the map partially disappears when you move around. The brown Red Key building is shorter than the one you're standing on; it looks like it has no roof. I only noticed these the second time through, when I grabbed the IR goggles and immediately used the Yellow Key teleport. Wasn't noticeable the first time in the dark. Don't think this one is worth addressing.

--------

MAP17

--------
There's one small section of bars (line 152) in the Spider Mastermind area that's not impassable. A Lost Soul showed it to me. Ouch.

@EffinghamHuffnagel I appreciate the diligence.  I knew about most of these, but they didn't stick out to me much.  Since others have noted it, I will at least fix the archvile setup.

Because it's still in beta, here's fix I guess: Fixed Map15.wad (only map lump, rest of wad not included)

Changes:

-I changed the exit box texture alignment

-fixed the texture on the back side of the Blue Card well

-changed the bounding perimeter skybox shape to a tigher, more squarish shape.

-changed the rocket boxes to clusters of 5 rockets each.

-changed the archvile fight delivery mechanism so you can't cheese it anymore.

Not changed:

-any conundrum that you can get to by turning off infinite height (sorry zdoomers and rare nomo players, but other popular Boom wads that use pit monster setups do this too so I'll use them as an excuse).

-skybox around the red key tan brick building (aka. the Bone Box); I like it's particular height as viewed from the ground level, even if there is sky cutoff from above.

Someone asked on intermission screens about title screens still being fucky.  I answered: "Map 02 Dead yet Dreaming when coming from the first map has fucked up title pic. e- it looks like someone pressed once time to much and created a new row."

Edited by NeedHealth

41 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Map 02 Dead yet Dreaming when coming from the first map has fucked up title pic. e- it looks like someone pressed once time to much and created a new row.

This is a vanilla engine bug that many source ports have left unfixed (not in the least because there are wads that try to work around it)

// Draws "Entering <LevelName>"
void WI_drawEL(void)
{
    int y = WI_TITLEY;

// draw "Entering"
    V_DrawPatch((SCREENWIDTH - SHORT(entering->width))/2,
                y,
                entering);

// draw level
    y += (5*SHORT(lnames[wbs->next]->height))/4;

V_DrawPatch((SCREENWIDTH - SHORT(lnames[wbs->next]->width))/2,
                y,
                lnames[wbs->next]);

}

This is from Chocolate Doom but PrBoom+ is the same. Note that y (the offset of the top of the graphic to be drawn from the top of the screen) is incremented by the height of the CWILV multiplied by 5/4. Normally both ENTERING and CWILVxx are 16 units tall. In that case 5/4*16=20=16+4 so CWILVxx is drawn 4 units below the bottom of ENTERING, which is generally what you want. But here each CWILVxx is taller than 16 due to the second line (due to author name subtitle), so it is moved proportionally further down the screen.

There are two bugs here really, a mystifying choice to multiply height by 5/4 not add on height plus a bit extra for a gap (can only assume this was a thinko), and the incorrect use of the height of the CWILV not the ENTERING graphic, likely a copypaste error (code from WI_DrawLF that draws CWILV followed by FINISHED was obviously copied and edited to make WI_DrawEL). Must've been written in a hurry!

Okay my absolute final update of my maps. I really don't want to touch these maps anymore despite being anl rentive, so that is saying something.

https://ufile.io/asqa5

---

Gravedigger's Lot

the midi is Rudora no Hihou - Dance with zombie

- made the map more visually interesting
- made enemies appear faster
- made the cave area more brighter
- move the super shotgun and arachnotron somewhat to prevent potential wall clipping

Dead yet Dreaming
Changed the music to  Rohan Davey - Day Of The Beat.mid

After some thought, I have decided that there will not be regular Pigeon sessions. Having two completely separate speedmapping sessions every month would be detrimental to everybody. Fewer people will submit maps, and fewer people will want to play the compiled wads.

So, I believe it would be in the best interests of everybody if I didn't continue with Pigeon. That's not to say Pigeon is done for entirely, but as long as Eagle is still going on, there isn't much point in continuing. If Eagle ends or dies out, I promise that Pigeon will return and I'll run regular monthly sessions for it. Otherwise, so long as Eagle survives, Pigeon is done (unless the next Eagle session doesn't happen for whatever reason).

Thank you friends for participating, it was really cool seeing so many people support me and submit maps :D

Perhaps this will give me the confidence to run my own independent community project in the future... :o

P.S. I'll still upload this version of Pigeon to idgames or whatever once everybody is finished updating their maps and whatnot.

P.P.S. I know NaZa said otherwise, but he actually made this decision on his own without consulting me first. :/

edit: Thanks to mr. voltcom9, I have now decided that I will still run pigeon sessions on special occasions and holidays. However, NaZa will likely already be running sessions for most holidays and occasions, so we'll have to wait and see how things turn out. c:

edit edit: read OP

Edited by bonnie

Don't be sad, @bonnie. It was cool experience and I can't say anything bad about this speedmapping session. If you'll ever do this again, I'll join again ;)

Just now, Voltcom9 said:

Eagle could continue on as a monthly speedmap session whilst Pigeon could be held on Holidays or special occasions.

:O that's a frickin great idea!!! oh my goodness!!!! i'm totally gonna do that now :D

I have no respect for NaZa or the eagle sessions and i pity people who've submitted maps to his projects and their whack themes when he can't even submit one of his own... I wish you'd keep going with this Bonnie and let that other bullshit die out from poor leadership as it rightfully should. Especially if you really did get banned or even kicked from his discord for doing this; don't take that shit.

^ they settled it out, for the record. (apparently, as bonnie's back on the eagle discord)

also, are you legitimately saying that the only regular speedmapping session on DW right now deserves no respect? Kind of a destructive statement, really.

...Honestly, I will admit NaZa's project leadership skills are kinda clumsy (he kinda admits to that himself), but he's persistent(-ish), and that's all that counts, I suppose.

Here are FDAs for maps 01 through 09:

pigeon01beta_v4_01-09_fdas_benjogami.zip

Cool stuff. Bonnie's is my fav so far. A2Rob's is also very good but I'm still too mad about the end to give a fair assessment. ;)

MAP08 bugs: in software there was a sector leak on the cross on the coffin lid at the end, and a HOM on one of the steps that goes down.

Damn that's a shame. I really thought you'll continue :c

But saying there's absolutely no respect to something you didn't even submit anything to is comedy gold man. Yes, Fonze, I agree it's really easy to criticize from the background, how about you make a map once instead of trashtalking every time? 

He is semi-right though - to be fair I haven't gotten to uploading any session except the first two on idgames because I got a new PC and I don't have FileZilla yet there, also I don't make maps of my own because I rarely have that much time. I usually write the themes via phone and compile the session when I have some more time available. 

Cheers. :) 

Edited by NaZa : I agree I'm bad

Well, take your stuff together and upload those compiled sessions, because now it seems like wasted people efforts, you know. They wasted 3 hours of mapping and thinking how to execute your given themes, instead of doing something else. It's not fair, even if you don't have much time for compilations and mapping.

Yes, I'm talking about you @NaZa

Well, it's not that hard to download and install it, just 10 minutes or less for it.

"filezilla" sounds like some shitty shady website where one might go to get free music downloads or something lol... why not just get people to email you their wads and then compile them together in slade or something?

Just now, therektafire said:

"filezilla" sounds like some shitty shady website where one might go to get free music downloads or something lol... why not just get people to email you their wads and then compile them together in slade or something?

FileZilla is a program where you upload the WAD to /idgames. It's probably the most recommended client to do so.