Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(RELEASED!!!) Pigeon Speedmapping Session -- Operation Health

10 minutes ago, NaZa said:

FileZilla is a program where you upload the WAD to /idgames. It's probably the most recommended client to do so.

Oh it's an ftp client, I thought it was something like mega or mediafire

@NaZa upload those bad boys. 

Personally, I don't think it matters who hosts the sessions, who picks the themes as long as the themes are good, or whether that person is in the session (tho if they are picking the themes, then doing a map might strengthen the integrity of the themes, and themes are important)  I also don't care about the name either.  It can be called Poopy-Erection-Nipple-Imp Speedmapping Session (or PENISS for short) for all I care.

I just wanna say though that I've enjoy playing speedmapping sessions like these since A.S.S. 

Speedmaps are short and punchy with varying quality, and the whole mapset can be done in one or two sittings; good source of fast-food doom snackies.  I'm not sure how many i'd want to pay per month, but I like em.

1 hour ago, NoisyVelvet said:

It can be called Poopy-Erection-Nipple-Imp Speedmapping Session (or PENISS for short) for all I care.

Fun fact, I almost called this session Pigeon Incredible Speedmapping Session (PISS), but it sounded awkward.

24 minutes ago, bonnie said:

Fun fact, I almost called this session Pigeon Incredible Speedmapping Session (PISS), but it sounded awkward.

PhoenIx Speedmapping Sessions

Buuut... as I am the very nadir of anl retentiveness, I probably shouldn't be doing speedmaps, as bzzrak pointed out. Really. I have "troubles" producing maps under less constrained forms.

But they're so fun. Stop it.

11 hours ago, NaZa said:

Yes, Fonze, I agree it's really easy to criticize from the background, how about you make a map once instead of trashtalking every time? 

You first; you can't even submit maps reliably to your own sessions, which is why I haven't submitted one to them either... why do you think I haven't submitted anything aside from a lack of respect? I can't speedmap? Fool I've made more than you and I never put myself out there as a host/organiser. You haven't even matched your own speedmaps with number of eagle sessions, and as you've literally just said you can't even get off your dumb ass and submit the more recent sessions to the archives; you know, including the ones where you did nothing, didn't even make a map, yeah including those. So other people map for your project and because of you, their completed maps are still not up on idgames. Put your big boy pants on and do something responsible for a change.

But let me make this clear for you: I like to speedmap, I like to see others speedmap, I want to see an active, regular event on DW for speedmapping; that all said, I will never, never make a map for any project you lead, and at this point: ever. I will continue to make my own speedmaps solo and at most 5 people will play them, as I've always known. Im not in the business of pr and i am free to speak my mind. Not only that but your reaction makes me want to speak my mind. I will never support you: a child with no sense of responsibility, in leading projects which other, more respectable people spend their limited time on.

Just because you are the only McDonald's in town doesn't give you a legitimate claim to respect or attention. It takes all of 30 minutes each session for the leader to come up with (optional) themes and to compile things. Like we're talking barely any effort needed, yet wait, the last session you couldn't even compile; 24 hours in a day and you can find 10 minutes for something simple (aka using slade) to combine maps and midis? Include a texture pack which is your choice to include or exclude? Well... I guess that shouldn't be a surprise when you can't even make maps for you own events........................................................

There is a lot I could say about you and your leadership skills, NaZa; I'd suggest you stfu now and let my comments be burried rather than giving me more reason to speak my mind, cause I can do this all day, every day.

@Fonze holy fuck dude calm down

i don't know what it is with you and your fetish for people submitting maps to their own projects, but you really gotta tone it down

i regret wasting 5 hours struggling to make a map for this session as

1. nobody likes it

2. it was time i SHOULD have spent playing other submissions and working on the compilation (which actually takes a bit more than 10 minutes to put together)

if i hadn't tried making a map, the compilation would have been out that night, or at least sunday morning.

i can't really speak to some of the other things but that part was really bothering me :c

"Number of your speedmaps doesn't exceed Eagle speedmaps" where'd you get that from. .. I made 2 for ASS, 5 in my thread and 2 for Eagle, that's 9, I think a bit more than 6. But again my math can be wrong. 

But let's not talk bullshit in Bonnie's thread - if you have a problem with me PM me don't derail the poor man's thread. 

Now let's get back to the subject - I'll play this set in a few days and report feedback. 

@bonnie I liked your map tho.  Sounds like the classic speedmap problem of biting off more than you can chew for the 3 hour block.  On top of that, there's always the question of whether or not you want to publish the map as is even if it is janky and incomplete.  I've always errored towards the direction of "post anyway" in time constraint projects like this.  It is interesting to see a showcase of what others could come up with after only 3 hours i.m.o.  Other people have more shame and higher standards tho.

@bonnie Watching @Suitepee's stream, would like to confirm the orange liquid flats in map07 animate correctly in PrBoom+, so the fact they don't in his copy of GZDoom is presumably a port bug. But just to be sure, yes I did use your ANIMATED lump :)

7 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

It can be called Poopy-Erection-Nipple-Imp Speedmapping Session (or PENISS for short) for all I care.

I would be afraid a speedmapping session named that would be about making terry wads :D

7 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

Add "Endurance" between Speedmapping and Session for PENISES. 

1 hour ago, RjY said:

@bonnie Watching @Suitepee's stream, would like to confirm the orange liquid flats in map07 animate correctly in PrBoom+, so the fact they don't in his copy of GZDoom is presumably a port bug. But just to be sure, yes I did use your ANIMATED lump :)

I had the same issue when I tried to play Jimmy's map separately. I loaded it with cc4-tex, just in case something was missed. Neither orange falls nor water animated. I then ran it again, loading pumpkinhell.wad after cc4-tex.wad. Both falls and water animated fine. So I think you're right. GZDoom can load multiple Dehacked, Mapinfo, Decorate and Animdefs lumps, but I think there's an issue concatenating multiple Animated lumps. I think it only loads one and overwrites it with any further ones you attempt to load. The same may be true of Switches. Don't know.

Casual max for Scotty's map to fill in for a certain missing play. :D

pg17_rd_demo.zip

From a perspective of being a map for maxes (since you mentioned this in the stream):

+ Fun action overall.

+ Generous health/armor allows for risky strategies, megasphere secret in particular <3.

+ Enough ammo that despite scattered small pickups in a lot of places, you don't have to remember where all the single rockets and cells are, which is sometimes the case in maps with scattered pickups.

= Lost souls are generally annoying but here they are mostly ignorable.

- Darkness combined with all-black rock scheme makes navigation there somewhat uncomfortable (likely to end up running up against a >24-high step). In a non-speedmap, I'd hope for contrasting colors so that the landscape is more 'readable'.

- Roaming spectres can be a pain to track down.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181741868 (my playthrough of all 17 maps)

Similar in feel to the last few Eagle sessions, this wad had consistently good quality across the 17 maps, with no bad ones in the bunch. I struggled with map 17 initially, but eventually overcame it. (after "TRIPLE rage quitting" as Surreily put it...)

I look forward to future Pigeon speedmapping sessions, alongside the hopefully continuing Eagle ones.

3 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181741868 (my playthrough of all 17 maps)

Similar in feel to the last few Eagle sessions, this wad had consistently good quality across the 17 maps, with no bad ones in the bunch. I struggled with map 17 initially, but eventually overcame it. (after "TRIPLE rage quitting" as Surreily put it...)

I look forward to future Pigeon speedmapping sessions, alongside the hopefully continuing Eagle ones.

In Dead yet Dreaming I first had a Judas Priest song that I eventually thought was not halloween sounding enough. The midi was changed to one found in my temp folder Rohan Davey - Day Of The Beat.mid. In hindsight I probably should have kept Judas Priest or made Rohan Davey more quiet in anvil studio.

The music in Gravedigger's Lot is Rudora no Hihou - Dance with zombie.

Thanks for playing my maps. I'll try to join the next speedmapping session and probably catch you streaming it that time.

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Casual max for Scotty's map to fill in for a certain missing play. :D

pg17_rd_demo.zip

From a perspective of being a map for maxes (since you mentioned this in the stream):

+ Fun action overall.

+ Generous health/armor allows for risky strategies, megasphere secret in particular <3.

+ Enough ammo that despite scattered small pickups in a lot of places, you don't have to remember where all the single rockets and cells are, which is sometimes the case in maps with scattered pickups.

= Lost souls are generally annoying but here they are mostly ignorable.

- Darkness combined with all-black rock scheme makes navigation there somewhat uncomfortable (likely to end up running up against a >24-high step). In a non-speedmap, I'd hope for contrasting colors so that the landscape is more 'readable'.

- Roaming spectres can be a pain to track down.

Damn dude you missed the Mastermind telefrag :P  Thanks for your precise thoughts though, kinda what i expected given that it was a pretty rush job with those issues. Indeed the texturing was just a straight up idea i went with and the Spectres were a result of the themes, i don't really like them personally and would just use Pinkies in a map i make myself these days. I would normally apologise for, i guess, obscure-ish stuff like that MM telefrag but in a speedmap shit goes out the window at some point. Perhaps that Mega could have been telegraphed to the player somehow though. I guess i should say that for me an enduring influence is Sunlust 18 in these kinda sandboxy maps... was it really harder than that all things considered?!

Props to Suitepee for actually putting in some effort in learning how to beat the map (watched the VOD just now), tbh i thought that he legit ragequitted and i don't deal with angry people very well at all hence why i left the stream. :P  I just want people to have fun and not beat their brains out on my maps, i know things can be hectic but it's how i like my Doom...

Peace, this was fun to partake in, seeya in whatever speedmap session i can be bothered with in future.

The final update (maybe). https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpmrnt3mcujwgyc/pigeon01beta_final.zip?dl=1

Changes:

• All level graphics correctly cropped
  • Coop starts added to levels that didn't include them
    • As a result, map16 has had it's starting platform altered to fit the coop starts
    • As an extension of that, I added more multiplayer-only things to my map
    • Fun fact, most of the early maps contained coop starts while most of the later maps did not :o
      • Super fun fact: after the idgames release, I'll probably host the wad a bit on a Zandronum server!! better join the discord to find out when!!!!
  • Map01's midi has been replaced with the old version of map02's midi as it was severely borked for me
    • This change may or may not make it to the idgames release, depending on what @NeedHealth decides upon
  • I did not find out what caused map07's custom flats/textures to not animate on John's stream, as they work in my copy of GZDoom.
  • That's it, I think. c:
I could have sworn there were more map updates after John's stream, but I cannot for the life of me find them anywhere. If I missed an update, please tell me immediately. I'll wait couple hours for last minutes changes and fixes before uploading to idgames and being done with Pigeon foreve-
Spoiler

dJdkOe7.png

Oh.

Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    Could not connect to server
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    Could not connect to server

help

Edited by bonnie

Try setting limit connections to 1 in the Site Manager menu if you use Filezilla or just start work immediately after connecting without waiting 20 seconds 

You guys are weird.

Anyhow, here's the way that I like to do it. You don't need Filezilla or any of that nonsense. Just do this in Windows:

- In Windows Explorer, copy the full path to the folder where your wad lives (ex. "C:\Users\goof\Desktop\doom\mapping\finished\")

- Hit dat Start Button and type "cmd" and press enter

- Type "cd", press ctrl-v, and press enter

- Type all these lines, pressing enter after each:

ftp archives.gamers.org
anonymous
<type your email address here>
cd /pub/idgames/incoming/
bin
put mysickasswad.zip
put mysickasswad.txt
quit

All done.

I actually have a bat file with just "ftp archives.gamers.org" in my "C:\Users\goof\Desktop\doom\mapping\finished\" folder, so I can just double-click that and start at the "anonymous" step.

I tried that out once, but it didn't seem to work. That's why I started using Filezilla. 

i have done it

i didn't credit any music so i hope it magically works out for me c:

also i accidentally did my txt file first and not the zip

i hope this does not ruin everything

zoo wee mama 

EDIT NEW LINK:

it has finally been uploaded after exactly 107 bazillion years (i counted)

edit: it is now on the new version of idgames c:

now come play and tell me all about how horribly broken it suddenly is

thank you friends c:

Edited by bonnie