Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

(RELEASED!!!) Pigeon Speedmapping Session -- Operation Health

Alas the compilation is beautifully executed again. You never disappoint. 

Yo @bonnie, could you perhaps post your current version of the compilation? I'd love to try all the maps and CBA downloading them individually :D

Edit: And yes, I will propose a map order if I play them all.

4 minutes ago, NaZa said:

lol stop.

5 minutes ago, Surreily said:

Yo @bonnie, could you perhaps post your current version of the compilation? I'd love to try all the maps and CBA downloading them individually :D

well, it's in pieces, as i didn't want to put all the maps, music, and level graphics in right away only to have to rename and reorganize all of them, since that would be a nightmare

i can, however, give you a folder with the maps, textures, and level graphic pngs (essentially all the pieces): https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfwqmute28uqypb/pigeon01parts.zip?dl=1

also, there might be a level graphic for map01 that shouldn't be there, i was just testing it

@NoisyVelvet  I see you had problems with the switch on the grave stone in my Gravedigger's Lot. I thought it was a semi-established trope of sorts, to have switches on gravestones.

Also thanks for this demo and the other. What did you think about the speed maps I made (Gravedigger's Lot and Dead yet Dreaming)?.

I really just wanted to say that I am hype for an other speed map, though my timezone seems to be a little of.

Here's my proposed map order.

MAP01: NeedHealth - Gravedigger's Lot
MAP02: NeedHealth - Dead yet dreaming
MAP03: Walter confetti - Two penny for what? Fat pigeons!
MAP04: Repugnus - The Well (to Hell)
MAP05: Pinchy - Moss
MAP06: Surreily - The Graves
MAP07: Jimmy - Pumpkin HELL
MAP08: bonnie - out of the frying pan...
MAP09: A2Rob - Frankensteinfeld
MAP10: Myst.Haruko - Dead dream
MAP11: bzzrak - Summoning Nelly Cyber-Kallypsa
MAP12: elmle - Gravedigging
MAP13: Forli - Rotting Mausoleum
MAP14: Forli - Spooked by skulls
MAP15: NoisyVelvet - Spooky Speedmap
MAP16: Breezeep - Thriller! In the Wad!
MAP17: Scotty - Exothermal Trauma

No, I didn't purposely put maps by the same author next to each other.

• I got stuck on Scotty's map by teleporting onto a spider mastermind in a pit and I couldn't get out.
  • I couldn't get the red key in bonnie's map, am I missing something?
  • I could cheese the two arch-viles in NoisyVelvet's map by shooting them through the gaps.
  • Walter confetti's map might be worth putting on at the end, as you get every weapon and way too much ammo :D

47 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

@NoisyVelvet  I see you had problems with the switch on the grave stone in my Gravedigger's Lot. I thought it was a semi-established trope of sorts, to have switches on gravestones.

Also thanks for this demo and the other. What did you think about the speed maps I made (Gravedigger's Lot and Dead yet Dreaming)?.

I liked the grave switch.  It was pretty funny to finally find it.  I think I remember most maps being at least decent, don't remember much though of some of them.

31 minutes ago, Surreily said:
  • I could cheese the two arch-viles in NoisyVelvet's map by shooting them through the gaps.

Thanks, I took note too when building, but i didn't bother to implement anything like a deeper floor raise because of the ticking clock.

1 hour ago, Surreily said:

couldn't get the red key in bonnie's map, am I missing something?

aw heckin frick i thought i fixed that ;~;

anyways thanks for the map order, i'll probably be back at my computer only ~24 hours from now so i'll be able to get on that

I got the red key in Bonnie's map, both in version 2 and again in version 4 trying it again just now (prboom).  It's placed a little high on that pedestal, but i can still collide with it barely.

6 hours ago, NaZa said:

At least someone actually put effort in here you useless prick.

Edited by Scotty

6 hours ago, NaZa said:

At least someone actually put effort in here you useless prick.

Edited by Scotty

Gravedigger's Lot was made when I was under the impression that I had two hours to work on it, strict. Therefor it is a little underwhelming in the detail department.

@NeedHealth but we still love it and you just the same ;~;

@NaZa maybe if you hadn't literally advertised my session in your thread to everyone and then encourage me to make my own discord, i probably wouldn't gotten so many maps and would have been able to compile it quicker for you :(

Hi. I thought I'd give compiling this a go. I don't know the maps and haven't playtested them. I just worked from @bonnie's directory dump and @Surreily's map order. Redid @A2Rob's map's title graphic Frankensteinfeld (isn't that a 32in24 map..?) as neither imagemagick nor deutex would touch a .PDN (paint.net?) file. Merged GSTONE4 and LITEREDX textures for @Breezeep's map, which pulled in extra patches BUL64A and BUL64D. Wrote a dehacked lump to set the automap level names. @Walter confetti's name is cut off in pr+ in 4:3 resolution, sorry. Rebuilt all nodes with zdbsp and rejects with zennode. Hope this helps and saves you time. Feel free to edit further as you see fit. I believe I've got the maps/musics/cwilvs in order but it would be good if others checked. Enjoy.

Download link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=40119140854019775174 *

* Includes @Breezeep's update just posted. Fortunate timing heh.

you have robbed me of the fun of compiling

i probably should have said i didn't really want any official compiles while i was gone, but i was a fool

alas, thank you anyways mr. @RjY you'll always be near and dear to me in my heart ;~;

@bonnie Oh. I'm really sorry. I'll remove the link and pretend this never happened if you want. I don't want credit or anything either. I just thought it would be a help since you were out of town, and since you posted the directory dump, even though you didn't explicitly ask, I took that as implicit permission for anyone to work on it. I could see you had done most of the work already merging textures. All the sky textures were already done for example. I also thought it might prevent further, uh, disagreement. @NaZa is cool in DWIronman threads and you seem to go out of your way to be friendly to everyone. Neither of you are idiots, so please stop fighting :P

@RjY apology accepted. however, such a cruel and evil deed cannot go unpunished. your punishment will be unwillingly receiving credit for compiling the wad c:<

and how dare you assume i'm not an idiot!! i'll have you know, i am VERY unintelligent.

thank you again friend

Damn, it's quite awkward for me, but one half part of me want detail that Dead dream map, because I'm feeling like it was not very finished. But other side is proud that I could push myself beyond mapping limits and provide something playable. Next time if this will be again, I'll try to do my best. 

Actually, all maps plays well for me, maybe I'll try record them all after stuff will be submitted in idgames. 

First attempts for maps 1 to 14 for draft build posted above.

Apologies to authors of maps 15-17 but I ran out of patience as the maps became harder and more frustrating. Comments reproduced below. Sorry about the lack of capitalization, it's a bad habit I've got into but I didn't care to go back through and fix it all up.

Spoiler

1. not true first attempt, i restarted partway through as i realised i was on the wrong complevel. very dark, can't see resources until right on top of them. hard to find the switch which opens the graveyard buildings. one of said buildings has an ultrathin wall sticking up out the back of it. i enjoyed opening the yellow door.

2. a better map than the last one, colourful and not too dark with some nice loops in layout. demo is about twice as long as it should be as after all monsters dead i went wall humping for the secret, only got it when i realised something wasn't making sfx_noway when i pushed on it. pretty well hidden.

3. slaughter map intro with all guns and tons of ammo but mostly quite tame as most enemies are troopers until the very final area. the backpack star could do with being lowered ever so slightly as the backpacks are hard to collect, remember things are always considered to have height 8 by P_TouchSpecialThing so preferably the star would have height at most 7 above the surrounding floor. revenant on top of triangle switch in south area of map is stuck and cannot attack. spectre teleporter could do with being smaller, too many stragglers. is that a self-portrait on the automap? :)

4. a short outdoor intro followed by a dropoff leads to a choice of two routes that lead around a loop? where have i seen this before? despite a totally different texture theme i can't help but see the similarity with one of the authors 300minvr maps, but this is equally good. red key seems superfluous but it did come with a surprise.

5. continuing the trend of very dark maps with little light variation and no obvious place to get powered up, i ran around the start area avoiding the monsters and trying not to take damage until i spotted the switch which just brought in more monsters, and led to an even darker more monster-infested crypt. i finally got an upgrade for pistol but with too little defence and surrounded by what sounded like a hundred zombies i was cornered by lost souls, exhausting my ammo completely, then health. restarting i was more lucky with finding resources, by making a left turn i was presented with light goggles and a shotgun which carried me through the chaos for long enough to build up some defence, but never to a point of safety as the map loves to drown you in death by a thousand bullets. would i have done better had i stumbled on the route to the berserk earlier? or remembered there was a green armour in one of the graves? i guess we'll never know.

6. i think it took me until here to realise there was a monster theme (zombies, ghosts, skeletons, and spiders) going on. too busy concentrating on individuals to see the big picture i guess. it took me 6 maps of Mayhem2013 to realise it had a two-monster-types-per-map theme going too. anyway this one looks really nice, an open sea layout with long lines of sight, lighting contrast with pools of light in darkness, although just slightly too dark making it hard to see where the edges of the platforms are to avoid falling in the sea. chaingunners and homing revenant missiles are lethal here, fortunately there were few of the former and none of the latter and i prevailed, but i was never comfortable, just lucky i think. i think one of the light pools has the wrong floor (sector 86/87 retains flat10, maybe should be rrock19) and also the three wood8 pillars to lack light sources (sector 32/298/302) maybe meant to have torches on top? after the graveyard fight it took a while to realise i was looking for multiple switches on the backs of random gravestones, it doesn't help that due to light level the switches are only really visible when you're right on top of them. was expecting a nasty end at the RIP sign but it never came.

7. ah yes here we go, a professional modern map right out of the BTSX/skillsaw design school. sorry i'm not getting at you it's just i get super jaded over mapping fashions :). linedef 27 is weirdly bright like it should be casting the light not absorbing it from the other side of the room, but i'm nitpicking i guess. the layout is great and loops around nicely. the sky texture and orange liquid were funny. at least it wasn't too dark. i regret not having found the super shotgun earlier.

8. copy-paste heaven with 3000+ sectors! okay sorry but this one has some real gameplay annoyances. the pervasive darkness leading to missing vital resources unless you're right next to them. a wide open layout full of undodgeable bullet attacks, and worst, all areas are caged off with impassible fences that don't show up on the automap and are too dark to see until you run into them, making things very hard to navigate. i ended up throwing myself at this one and dying repeatedly until i got enough defence to survive through pure luck. the light goggles were nice but came far too late. then a long period of cleanup with very few monsters alive but running around a space full of movement blockers that aren't visible until you're right on top of them, looking for keys. two are obvious but the third is hidden in a random grave and took several minutes of blind chicken running to stumble on. it also doesn't help that the exit is a Boom three-key door, so it doesn't get coloured on the automap, but that's the engine's fault, not the map. i really should have just given up and used iddt. watch me cowardly flee from the last monster as after all that i probably would have killed myself irl had i died to it. (well, not really). having said all that i bet this one will be fun to speedrun once all the key locations have been memorised. but i strongly suggest making giving all the fences the ML_SECRET flag so they are visible on the automap, just to reduce navigation frustration.

9. before there was the aforementioned BTSX/skillsaw school of design (which, thinking about it, should be equally, if not more, credited to Espi) there was the Erik Alm school of design and this is right out of it. it is an entertaining arena fight, you run around and shoot at things and try not to run out of health and ammo (the latter of which especially seemed a bit tight). again as with map04, feels vaguely familiar having played the authors' 300minvr maps very recently, indeed i was totally unsurprised by Spear of Insanity-esque multiple archviles. indeed Did Not Finish here because i couldn't be bothered to redo the whole map after dying right at the end to them in a tiny room. obviously i shouldn't have used rockets but had nothing else i had i felt would take them down fast enough. oh well. i got my strategy wrong anyway, should have used rockets earlier and ssg for archviles, the map is probably fine.

10. a welcome return to a more plain style after "professionally detailed" maps 07 and 09 and the copypaste madness of map08, this one starts you off with some punching then a nasty-looking chaingunner trap, then a multi-tiered pit fight which you can play safely from high ground or just scream COWABUNGA and jump in. was expecting the revenant towers to lower and spill out their contents but it never happened and i think shooting them one at a time then waiting for the next to teleport is a little tedious. the map ends through the red door with a huge load of rockets and revenants and spiders. i died here due to missile dodging failure (i kind of wish the doors stayed open, i wish more they weren't switch doors that aren't reversible). replaying to that point i tried to charge the spiderdemon which i realised was in an illusion pit, but i guess i skipped a linedef and fell in with it. i didn't try again, sorry.

11. again continuing the theme of maps too dark to see any useful non-fullbright resources so i had to resort to blind wandering. i pressed a switch and admired the animation of a large glowing cone rising and falling. for a while i picked plasma cells with no weapon to be seen, until i realised there were monsters chasing me, who increased in number. i almost died but in desperation pressed on a megasphere platform which to my delight actually lowered. then suddenly an Icon Scream rang out and the map ended. not sure what happened here, needs investigation, probably i missed something essential (like a weapon).

12. oh boy another ultradark graveyard with no weapons! at this point after 12 maps i am getting really tired of this theme. this time the monsters hiding in the graves don't pop up quickly, so you can find your path blocked by a monster in the floor (and get punched by it with very little warning). after dying once i go around and manage to survive the rest of the monsters, only afterwards realising that some of the stones are pressable and give you rewards. in fact that seems to be how you get the necessary key. inside the church a path to the crypt has opened, this goes well at first until the light goggles run out and i am left completely blind. fortunately i found the soulsphere but completely missed there being a rocket launcher in the dark.then the final arena turns out to have a spiderdemon in a huge chamber where there is again no light. i realise now what the partial invisibility was for. i am trapped behind a pillar with dwindling shells and my terrible reaction times are letting it whittle away my health. oh no i have 1% health. oh no i have 0% health. wait that means i'm dead.

13. sorry i'm just not good enough for this map. it's a "run around madly trying to survive" map. on first try i survived almost to the end but could not deal with the revenant horde's homing missiles while dancing around ledges above supernukage with only a few 32-width pillars for cover. i died a further, what, seven times reaching that far again, sometimes due to trying to dive to the end due to impatience, others just bad luck with dodging monsters, and then the same thing happened again - having not enough health to take a few revenant missiles, and with that little cover and room to move, i've no idea how to pass the final battle. the theme/texturing reminds me of rayzik's maps from sf3 a little. the revenants in the windows by the blue door need monster blocking lines around them, otherwise you can push them out due to boom compatibility physics. also i could really do without the forced weapon changes in the middle of battle. please place a shotgun and chaingun at the start so you pick them up before SSG/plasma.

14. the start is a little less hectic, with traps and lock-ins instead of arenas, but i think the last couple of maps have sapped all my patience and when i reached the obligatory ultradark room with light goggles, and sloppily blew myself up with the rocket launcher on a lost soul, i decided i'd really had enough. so my apologies to the authors of maps 15-17 but i shall stop here.

13 minutes ago, RjY said:

11. omg this map can be beaten lol

Hahaha!!!

No investigation necessary, everything went juuuuuust as planned (thank God Nelly). The plasma rifle can be obtained if you shoot a certain switch.

Also, the large glowing cone is supposed to be a fire used for the summonning of Nelly Cyber-Kallypsa.

....don't look at me like that. :]

edit: yes, the map is that bad intentionally

@RjY The reason the cave is very dark - it occurred to me now - is because I have Roy Orbison eyesight so I tend to play on a higher light level then most. 2 I was working against doom builder who wanted to add textures where I did not want it to, as I wanted to give the illusion of not all buildings being the same height. I missed that sliver of wall. 3 To me, it is a trope to have switches on gravestones, but both you and NoisyVelvet had troubles with it.

Second map I have not much to say about, other than that a gravestone lights up more than the other and the walk over trigger for the secret is placed in the path I would jump down after hitting the switch.

Going to watch the demos now to see if you found the rocket launcher in the first map. NoisyVelvet did not.

e: Important question: @RjY your demo of Gravedigger's Lot seems to go out of sync, but I don't know why. Where did you download it ? This lmp I could at least drag onto prboom plus (together with cc4 and my wad)

The second demo of Dead yet dreaming just jumps to doom 2 map02 no matter how many variations I tried. What I did at first is that I dragged your lmp, my wad and cc4 onto prboom-plus.

This is a the command line (in a prboom shortcut) I ended up using, but this now just crashes prboom

-playdemo pigeon01-draft20171008-map02-0-0534.lmp -warp 2 -complevel 9  -iwad DOOM2.wad -file spdmp_deadyetdreaming01.wad

e2 maybe I am stupid and there is a compiled wad of all the maps floating around.

Edited by NeedHealth : more info

Major props Bonnie for running this event in a much more respectable way than NaZa... I would like to see these sessions continue under this leadership.

Speaking of, will be interested to see if NaZa flakes out of his own event again  later this month. 

51 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Hahaha!!!

Reveal hidden contents

No investigation necessary, everything went juuuuuust as planned (thank God Nelly). The plasma rifle can be obtained if you shoot a certain switch.

Also, the large glowing cone is supposed to be a fire used for the summonning of Nelly Cyber-Kallypsa.

....don't look at me like that. :]

edit: yes, the map is that bad intentionally

Hey I didn't say that!! But okay, I didn't really get what was going on, I assumed there was a lot more of the map I hadn't seen, but as long as you're happy that's fine. BTW I forgot to mention before the combination of deep blue sky, wide horizon, lowish light level, and earth texturing really reminded me of cchest2 map23, don't know if you were thinking of that when you made it or if it was just coincidence but there you go.

27 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

To me, it is a trope to have switches on gravestones, but both you and NoisyVelvet had troubles with it.

Yeah switches on gravestones are fine, as I said I think my trouble finding them was that in a lot of these maps so little light you can't see anything more than a couple of blockmap squares away, this makes it easy to miss things. It sort of invites the player to abuse the gamma correction button. Yours is not the only map I had this trouble with so don't feel singled out, just you play six maps in a row all in the same theme all having low light and easy-to-miss essentials and in many cases a constant stream of health-sapping bullet-chuckers. It's not one map's problem in particular, it's the lack of variety, it can become tiresome.

Second map I have not much to say about, other than that a gravestone lights up more than the other and the walk over trigger for the secret is placed in the path I would jump down after hitting the switch.

Indeed it's a whole 32 light levels higher, I should have spotted this. Entirely my fault, nothing needs changing there on your end.

e: Important question: @RjY your demo of Gravedigger's Lot seems to go out of sync, but I don't know why. Where did you download it ?

It was recorded on (and - just verified - plays back for me in prboom+ with) the compiled wad which I posted earlier in the thread. What seems most likely is you are trying to play the demo on your own copy of the map, whereas the compiled version has had its nodes rebuilt and a reject table added. My apologies, the more I think about this the more I realise how big a mistake it was to do that. I guess for me it's an essential part of the map releasing process so did it without thinking about possible consequences. Now you have two demos that need different versions of the map to play back successfully. I'm very sorry.

@RjY Okay watched the demos. Crap. Dead yet Dreaming; Seems like I still forgot to remove one of the shotgun shells in the elevated area, and the bug with the shotgun shell pack and the shotgun shell ontop of each other is still present beyond the wall that rises. Oh well...

Thanks for playing.

I updated my map. I've edited the map's post, but I'll stick it here too.

Version 2

• All sectors have +16 brightness.
  • New torches added to some pillars.

[Edit] Updated it again, same link.

• Fixed some floor textures (thanks to RjY).

5 hours ago, RjY said:
Spoiler

is that a self-portrait on the automap? :)

lol no, is based upon the NaZa joke about hebrew contents.

fatpigeons.zip

new version with:

- fixed bugs found from Rjy

- fixed sky bug and changed few textures

- added difficulty settings on weapons (plasma and bfg on easy and medium) and few enemies

Rid both my maps of the bugs and visual disturbances people told me about.

-added diving borders where missing.
-added deathmatch starts and a plasma gun for deathmatch.

link to a 7zip archive

here

attempt nr2 to upload this file.

Edited by NeedHealth