Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dualscreek

what is your favorite doom port

PrBoom+ or Eternity when i play a megawad, GZDoom when i play a mod or just some small thing

Eternity is my go-to port for playing pretty nearly anything. I've used it since forever and it's comfy and powerful.

Chocorenderlimits is my other favorite, an absolute godsend for testing vanilla compatibility and investigating overflows. Its massive importance to modern vanilla projects can't be understated.

2 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

Eternity is my go-to port for playing pretty nearly anything.

I've only played with it a few times but goddamn, best performing software rendering in the business.

4 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

PrBoom+

I remember when you were a GZDoom girl and didn't even think about PrBoom+ :)

GZDoom for mods and general play.

Zandronum for multiplayer.

PrBoom+ for recording demos (and levels GZDoom doesn't run well on).

Doom Retro for when I want to play Doom in the dark.

If we go by console ports, PSX Doom is the best version to me, the changes to the atmosphere and music makes Doom feel like a different game, which I like.

2 hours ago, Voros said:

I remember when you were a GZDoom girl and didn't even think about PrBoom+ :)

Me too. The first demo I ever recorded and submitted was a GZ 2.4 demo. That was largely due to me being unable to set up PrBoom+ in a way that I felt comfortable with visually (the menu is lacklustre as is GZ's, but I couldn't quite come to terms with PrBoom's at first), but once that's been sorted out, GZ has become a port I only ever use if I really, really have to.

Oh I should at least add that I do use Eternity, just not so much on the side of launching it through DB.

I usually use Exl's Launch Tool for various other ports.

It has only a hand full of port/engine configurations out of the box, but it's easy enough to make them, which is what I did. It's better than making a bazillion batch files anyway. :)

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That was largely due to me being unable to set up PrBoom+ in a way that I felt comfortable with visually (the menu is lacklustre as is GZ's, but I couldn't quite come to terms with PrBoom's at first),

I think gzdoom's menu is fine. PrBoom' s on the other hand is sure something alright... There is very little continuity between the styles of the different menus, some menus are missing pretty important features (you can't unbind keys in the controls menu, you have to manually edit the config file for that, at least that has been my experience with it so far...) some of the options are a bit confusing, for example "vertical" mouse sensitivity vs "mouse look" mouse sensitivity, they sound similar but they do two different things (the former changes how far you move forward or back when you move the mouse back and forth (ew) and the latter of course changes the mouse look speed). Overall I like gzdooms menus better but of course PrBoom is fine gameplay wise as long as you only try to play wads that are compatible, which you don't really have to worry about with gzdoom since it is compatible with pretty much everything lol. And it (gzdoom) looks good with just about everything too assuming you have all the texture filtering and antialiasing and all that shit that is supposed to make the game look "better" disabled :D

Edited by therektafire

1 hour ago, therektafire said:

Overall I like gzdooms menus better but of course PrBoom is fine gameplay wise as long as you only try to play wads that are compatible, which you don't really have to worry about with gzdoom since it is compatible with pretty much everything lol

Not wrong, the irony in what you say is that GZ has problems with certain boom actions ;-)

As a "plug and play" kind of sourceport GZ does a good job by way of making things somewhat convenient for most people.

Once you get the hang of iOS's Settings menu, PrBoom+'s menu is nothing compared to it :P

GZDoom, though I'm currently using some old version of QZDoom.

PrBoom+'s mouse behaves differently to the Zdoom ports and I've never managed to get it set up right. It makes it unpleasant to use to be honest.

Edited by Eris Falling : Oops

GZDoom for no other reason than it's the only new port I tried and it worked.

When learning Gzdoombuilder I hadn't been keeping up on the port news and stuff, so I was just making a Doom map and when making a small window I somehow accidentally pasted 16x128 light texture on the floor of the window and my brain nearly exploded.

When I found out you could drag and drop wads onto Zdoom and they just run that sold it, I don't care much for technicalities, gZdoom is simple and easy so we uses it, precious. *drools*

PrBoom+ for single-player.

Odamex for multiplayer, even though I usually use Zan 'cuz popularity. The words taste bitter in my mouth -- this is the first time I'm ever doing anything because it's popular.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

The words taste bitter in my mouth -- this is the first time I'm ever doing anything because it's popular.

Fellow doomers, we have gathered here today to bid farewell to 42%rebel. His passing away was a rather unexpected result of interaction with what we call mainstream. ;-)

GZDoom is my favorite.

I only seem to use PRBoom and Chocolate Doom when testing for community project submissions.

QZ, Retro, Crispy for everyday use. prboom+ when the circumstances force me. ZDoom 281 for recording demos where I can cheat. ZDaemon for multiplayer. :]

GZDoom when I feel like playing with cosmetic/gameplay mods. GLBoom+ for performance-demanding wads and map testing. PRBoom+ if I'm in the mood for a vintage software experience. 

33 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Fellow doomers, we have gathered here today to bid farewell to 42%rebel. His passing away was a rather unexpected result of interaction with what we call mainstream. ;-)

RIP, me.

Source Ports: Prboom+, Gzdoom and Chocolate Doom

Console Ports: 3do, Sega 32x, Atari Jaguar, Xbox 360 and Psx