Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dualscreek

what is your favorite doom port

1 hour ago, YukiTakashi said:

Outdated ye but, Skulltag. I've pretty much grew up with it

Skulltag was the first sourceport I used, not even for multiplayer.

PrBoom+ for basically everything. GZdoom if the wad requires it, or if I want to play gameplay mods. Zandronum for multiplayer.

I normally use ZDoom for most WADs and I occasionally use ZDaemon or Zandronum for multiplayer.

GZDoom is also nice for mods and stuff.

Prboom+ when not playing mods and Gzdoom for playing mods.

Edited by bopanog

On 10/7/2017 at 11:33 AM, therektafire said:

So I just downloaded prboom+ and tried it, I like it so far but there is one thing that is annoying me: how do you make it to where you DON'T move when you move the mouse...? I can't find a setting for it in either the doom compatibility or control menu but I would really like to turn if off...

mouselook key binding

For the most part it's PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4, and occasionally ZDoom and ZDaemon for multiplayer. Used to be a real stubborn Doom95 user until Windows 10 killed it, and came to like PrBoom+ better when it included the option for lower-resolution settings and learned about going into the config file and setting the high gamma to 0 since that also bothered me. One of the things I don't like about ZDoom is having to enter R_Drawtrans False in the console every time because I don't like how the plasma looks like I'm firing glass vases at everything. As long as I can enjoy Doom in a 320x200 setting with non-transparency, I feel at home - save for ZDaemon since I usually play that windowed.

Crispy Doom for Vanilla and Limit Removing Single Player; PrBoom-Plus for Boom and MBF Single Player; GZDoom for Vanilla, Limit Removing, Boom, and MBF Coop Multiplayer as well as ZDoom, Heretic, and Hexen in both SP and MP (I tried Zandronum, but I found the community horrible (I find some of the content of Brutal Doom, Complex Doom and MM8BDM Unholy Bosses offensive...and there are probably other servers/wads with bad content)); and Eternity's BananaSplit fork for Split Screen (because Doom Legacy bites, and 3DGE's split screen support is still incomplete AFAIK).

My favorite platform port is DoomAttack for the Amiga. It's very fast and it has freelook and jumping. ADoom was also pretty good, but slower. It allowed resolutions up to 1600x1200, which was hilarious on old 68K Amigas because it resulted in a 1 fps slideshow. ;D

Fave source port is GZDoom. I love GL rendering and the non-intrusive HUD, and it handles just about everything.

I'm starting to use PrBoom+ a lot more because of the Ironman League and the need to make demos. I'm liking it more than I used to, but can't see it supplanting GZDoom.

Risen3D was once my fave GL port until I went over to GZDoom for its monster and secret counters. When I play Risen3D now, it's because I want extra pain. Risen3D seems to have the most player-hostile RNG and auto-aim of the ports I use. This bumps up my death count and overall feeling of desperation on my extra-masochistic days. ;)