Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

The Shores of Russia

I was really enjoying the first map but I got stuck right at the end. The floor lowers when you walk over it (sector 440) and you can hit the adjacent switch to raise it again. Then you lower the floor manually by walking up to it and pressing use and when you go back up to the upper floor, it seems impossible to lower the lift again unless I'm missing something. I think that the problem is that linedef 2579 is W1 instead of a repeatable action.

Other than that, I really liked the map layout. I have yet to try the other two though since I got stuck at this part.

Ай-яй-яй! We totally forgot about that. Thanks for the report, the first post now links to a fixed version.

M1: Really nice, it seems to be a simple level at first but it grows to be rather complex later. Good job.

M2: The demo is a retry after too many deaths where I was only able to get to the yk room, but I gave up later in the outside area. Definetely needs more ammo, and some health too possibly.

M3: Didn't even notice the passage to the plasma rifle area lol. Did you take some inspiration from Nicolas Monti? The dark western area and the corridor after the red door that leads to the exit reminded me of his style.

I attached my demos for the maps.

shorus_gaspefdas.zip

Will there be a full replacement of the episode in the future?

Hmm, the first version of e2m2 was very tricky, but since then joe made it brighter, changed the damaging floors to 10%, and added some pickups I think. I'll ask him if he wants to do more changes. And yes, I had Nicolas Monti on my mind while making some parts of e2m3. :)

There are no plans for a full episode, we just thought it would be fun to do a quick "split" release. Maybe there will be more splits with a vague theme in the future, it's a fun format. Like I could just message a bunch of oldschool-ish mappers, ask each of them to make a single level, and then put all that in a single episode that would showcase our different styles. Kind of as a way to promote each others' work.

On 8.10.2017 at 5:29 AM, Memfis said:

So Chaingunner made a sky texture for this... Link updated.

The first I could think of when I saw this was the iconic tetris MIDI. The second thing that came to mind was falling tetris blocks in the sky. Sorry, but I couldn't resist beating that drum.

FDAs with saves for expediency (view at own discretion)

Memfis and Chaingunner's maps were similar in playstyle: felt tight on resources but just enough to barely scrape by.  Both were somewhat open and explorationy.  The beginning is hard and you need to scavenge for every bit of ammo and health is scarce.  e2m3 was harder than e2m1, I think.  Though, I played e2m1 yesterday, so I could just be playing badly today.  These maps vaguely reminded me of e2m4: Deimos Lab from Ultimate Doom because the first time I played that map, I'd run out of ammo a lot too.

Ilya's map was the odd one out.  It was more of a tight, hectic challenge map.  It required a lot more trial and error than the other two.  I think I broke the yellow key door though because of complevel settings too, or maybe I neglected a proper way, so i DNFed.  Ahh nevermind, i was duped by slow lifts, thinking they only went one way, so I thought I couldn't go back to the start.  I guess I can appreciate this map from a puzzle grind perspective, but the map does not go down smoothly.

Also, e2m3's rush midi actually felt like it could have belonged in an actual iwad, at least to me.  It fits imo.

Took me a while to finish this but I enjoyed all of the time that I spent with it. The third map was an amazing finale and I liked the larger scale. I liked all of the distinct sections like the maze and the darker underground area since it made me feel like I was progressing or working up towards something. I especially liked how the map kept changing its layout as I went along. I really enjoy maps that do this and the third map did this very well.

The first was a great opener although the finale was a bit tough with a lot of enemies in a small space. The second map was fun in spite of being a lot smaller than the other two. These maps could work very well in a full episode. The ammo and health distribution were spot on - resources were kind of tight but just enough to be challenging, not frustrating.

On 10/8/2017 at 5:29 AM, Memfis said:

So Chaingunner made a sky texture for this... Link updated.

So the Russians landed on Deimos in the future...seems legit.