Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaska

New maps! Feedback for my project "Lost civilization" appreciated.

@Eradrop Thanks! I have listened quite a lot midi music now and trying to find the best ones to the maps. I'll add music to the next release.

@Rowsol: Lag may be caused by the (over)use of midtextures. But that's the way I did the landscape so unfortunately not much can be done to that.

I have been playing this on GZDoom, truly fantastic levels so far (am on level 3), I enjoy the landscape as well as the exploration-heavy gameplay. My only complaint so far is that the stock music does not really fit these maps all too well, but I'm sure that will be addressed at one point. If you want I can post some recommended MIDIs.

Also, I have gotten no lag whatsoever in the maps on GZDoom. You might want to play it on PRBoom if your computer is awful and it lags for you.

this has been on my list to play for a while, still haven't gotten to it yet though D: but as far as music goes, the shots of map01 give me vibes of this song from Super Castlevania IV:

On 2017-10-30 at 5:59 PM, Rowsol said:

I couldn't figure out how to beat the first level.  The levels look nice but they lag like crazy.

It was lagging for me too with GZDoom, and a little bit with PrBoom+ aswell. GLBoom+ did the trick and seem to work smoothly so far.

Personally, so far, I've used these midis:

Map01:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3nhcmf

Map02:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/w5ayuz

Map03:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/dqgwr5

Map04:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/l5cqct

Map05:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/h7p67o

They're from old wads, Memento Mori 2, STRAIN, Last Day on Earth and Enslavement.

Edited by Dynamo

I'm currently listening Jimmy's jukebox. Only problem is that there is so much music it takes quite long to select.. :) I have already picked over 10 favourites but not yet decided which map I put which midi.

Played this WAD with two people coop using Zandronum 3.0. Though we only had time to play the first seven maps.

Red key is missing in MAP01 when skill is set to 0 or 1.

Outdoor levels look gorgeous. Really like all the new textures, items and other little realistic details. And the way you use plants, especially to create the hills/mountains looks nice. The laboratory level was my least favorite but can't name exactly what I didn't like about it. On MAP04 I liked that the pillars show up on the switches. Much more concrete than reading and forgetting status messages like "A pillar has risen somewhere..." :)

We also felt more than once that we are completely out of ammo.

Finished today. MAP08 was a pleasant city map that continued the realistic style well. Much fun in coop. Keys were well placed, enemy waves nicely timed. MAP09 was also fun in coop because we could enter the mansion from different areas. I could drop in the water fall to the catacombs and someone could come from the stairs to the wine cellar and then we would meet in the tunnels. Adding the second red card was a good idea too.

Are you going to add more maps or is 9 the final amount?

Thanks @SP_FACE1 !

Have to fix that key issue to next release. Also check the ammo balance. This version still isn't balanced to multiplayer at all.

I'm planning to create 5-7 more maps. Here are screenshots from the unfinished maps:

Outlands approx. 35% ready
xcK0Gsj.png
MBdkdON.png
G8KYdWA.png

Downtown 55%
RBMj0Ai.png

City centre 30%
94Uvj9m.png

Cave 5%
9yLx75L.png

Castle 20%
QJAp8LX.png
02jp6bu.png
UlhHMx7.png
XcjUZzK.png
tSW8Rmv.png

Not named yet 20%
O5KbDHB.png

Not sure if I include any of the below to the finished set..

A cabin 1%
jnMu0qU.png
1m9nAB9.png
A4Br09h.png

River valley 5%
tg3LTCH.png

Towers 20%
f8qpJlV.png
UczafRL.png

"Techbase" 5%
IxokaTV.png

those shots are beautiful. I love your style, especially the way you do outdoor areas

The new maps look magnificent, wish there was a button I could press to get to play them immediately!

Have you considered releasing this in two parts? Ten maps or so feels like a nice chunk of maps for a WAD.

8 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

The new maps look magnificent, wish there was a button I could press to get to play them immediately!

Have you considered releasing this in two parts? Ten maps or so feels like a nice chunk of maps for a WAD.

I'm thinking to release this as one 14-17 map wad.

Played the last couple of maps.

MAP08: Very nice city level done in a more traditional style. Perhaps the streets are a bit too deserted? But it could be fine like this, I guess that the difficulty changes here if you take a slow approach while I played more aggressively and roamed around so I woke up many monsters. The cyberdemon gave some panic at first with the mess that was going around, but it ended to fight other monsters and got killed in the end. I encountered some technical problems:

-some of the cacodemons that teleport had some difficulties with the impassable fences at south and stayed stuck in that area

-a cacodemon got stuck in the lift of the BFG tower, so I couldn't go to pick it, the line 9697 could block the monsters to avoid problems

-furthermore said lift needs to be fixed, in the underground passagge it looks like this (and with a hom too):

Spoiler

doom091.png.2b3a5a583b5e590dbf3abd0e5a16c35f.png

and if you take a step forward the texturing changes:

Spoiler

doom101.png.91817a8f1d7351aa994979aabca5d698.png

-the conveyors belts in the factory haven't been totally fixed:

Spoiler

doom131.png.c656c2cca40531e7dcfca8005d98b611.png

doom191.png.95236d7aa9517b9879c258248d1b1347.png

I remember that in the previous version they had some bigger graphical issues

-be aware that using textures with transparent pixles as solid walls and not as midtextures will cause homs in software mode:

Spoiler

doom201.png.0490d64b14bf311e82a647b059d5711d.png

MAP09: It was rather intimidating initially. A big mansion where you have to understand what are the possible ways you can take to "assault" the building and the outdoor area is all but safe. It can be also quite complicated at first because the inner areas are organized into different actual floors, which initially it was difficult to connect all and have the big picture of where the all stuff was, but after some exploration everything becomes clearer and it wasn't difficult to navigate the map. A rather impressive work I must say. The only problem I noticed is that at the sectors with tag 43 and 49 are missing the destination thing, some monsters can't teleport out of their closets.

Interesting wip screenshots, I'm glad that there will be other maps in the future and I'm looking forward to play them. This wad is among the best I have played this year.

Hey, thanks for the teasers. I'll be looking forward to any more of these I can get my hands on. I'll probably play the first 9 again sometime soon too.

finally started this! played the first two maps and they're absolutely beautiful. the setting so far is some of the coolest I've ever seen in doom

Here's my thoughts on Lost Civilization. Overall I was pretty much blown away by the quality, the looks, the atmosphere. The gameplay is also very solid. Only overall thing I can come to complain about is that there's no custom music. Now on to the specifics!

Map01: Right when it starts, I was very impressed with the openness and the realistic looks! And it goes on that way through the map. I really love details such as the hill forests, campfires, shovels and other tools as well as realistic looking buildings. And the map plays well too. And what a lovely sky it has! A really great map all in all, and one of my favorites of the pack, probably #3.

Map02: Another nice map, although not as great as Map01. It still has great looks and atmosphere. But the gameplay is just a little on the absent side here, it's not that the gameplay is bad, it just feels a little bit like it lacks some intensity. It has some open spaces without any enemies. A nitpick here would be that the lavafalls doesn't animate. A map that is more good than bad though without a doubt.

Map03: I really liked this map! It has nice gameplay, and the visuals is just breathtaking. The texture choice matches the Doom 1 sky really well. Atmosphere is great too. I'm impressed with how you handle caves and mountains, you use very few color variations, yet it looks rich and well detailed. When I map, I have to use many colors to create the same effect. :P  Anywoo, can't find much else to say than that this is a very nice map.

Map04: Another very good map, and by far the most challenging yet. For me, this was one of the hardest maps of the pack, because of the tough start. Again, gameplay is very solid, the atmosphere is great and the looks are stunning. Especially outdoor areas are very very detailed without being too much. All in all, yet another really nice map!

Map05: What's got me really intrigued as soon as I entered this map was the very awesome thunder sky! I didn't even know you could have such a sky in a Boom compatible map! Really impressive. And the map itself is not exactly shabby either. :P A solid map, looks good and realistic too. Atmosphere is also good. It's maybe not my favorite map of the bunch but still a very solid one. Only major gripe is that the could've been just a tad more ammo around.

Map06: Another good map, once again you capture a realistic feel, of this time, a prison. Good gameplay, quite challenging too. The visuals and atmosphere is real nice as well.

Map07: I liked this one as well! A realistic feel, good gameplay and nice visuals combined yet again! I really enjoyed the little details such as the cable packs, very nice UAC double door. I liked the new marine. The final view is breathtaking. I liked the smart thing you did with the yellow key bars. I will try not to spoil things for other so I'm not mentioning exactly what I meant. All in all another real good map.

Map08: Wow, just wow! My 2nd favorite map of the bunch! I really loved this map, what a realistic city feel! Really complete with lots of realistic features, such as realistic buildings complete with condos, white marks on the road, parking lots, swings complete with sandboxes. A nice and realistic power plant with clever silent teleporters. And some fierce encounters too, this map was quite challenging! So yeah, great atmosphere and looks, great gameplay, smart solutions. A good choice of sky too, the original Doom 2 sky is still one of my favorite city skies. All in all, this is definitely my second favorite, a truly amazing map!

Map09: And finally, the very best map in my opinion: the castle! This one is a true masterpiece if you ask me, a close to perfect map for one who really loves castles. Just want to give away what I thought could be improved here. First off, the lavafalls doesn't animate. Secondly, I thought the catacombs were a bit too cramped. And third, if you stand on top of the castle, and look around, the sky will overlap at a couple of spots. This only happens if you go up the highest point though. Those nitpicks aside, the rest of the map is just pure perfection! Without spoiling everything, I should point out just a couple of the things I loved about this map. It looks very realistic, with many of the traits a real life castle has. It has realistic texturing, nice chandeliers, a nice clock tower, nice floor clocks, gorgeous windows, very very clever silent teleportation, and several floors. There's lots more to love here, but I won't spoil everything for those who haven't yet played it. All in all, fantastic visuals, amazing atmosphere, great gameplay, quite challenging as well. An ultra-realistic feel. Just as close to perfection as it gets!

So to summarize again, a really great pack of maps, shock-full of wonderful, realistic visuals, great gameplay and stunning atmosphere! A really great work, and I really can't wait for the new maps to be released. So keep up the great work! / Mattias

Thanks for the feedback! That really helps to keep motivation up :)  I have quite fixed all of the issues now. Those aren't still updated to latest linked version. I'll put it to the next release which will be hopefully the final version sometime next year. Haven't had too much time to do mapping recently.

4 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

@Jaska What happened to the previous map01?

I'm putting it to a different mapslot. So it's not on this release at all.