Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Your favorite thing about Doom

No doubt, Doom has a fierce and excellent community of fans, veterans not only of the game itself, but of its history and things related to it. With all the time that has passed, I think that more than some of us have something special that stands out for us in Doom. In my case it is:

The simple and flexible gameplay
The history of its creation
Freedom of creation
The amazing community

Some are directly from Doom, some more indirectly. But whatever it is, Doom has earned my respect and affection, keeping me happy and satisfied for many years with his immense opportunities for play and fun. So tell me, what's your favorite thing about Doom?

giphy.gif

I dunno its just.....DooM
I like everything about it,but the thing i love the most is the near perfect "combat-chain"with every monster filling a specific role.

Bugs Features, because Doom can't have bugs. Its movement code is the best.

1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

So tell me, what's your favorite thing about Doom?

Slaughter maps. Not only in terms of playing them, but also in terms of them being a possibility to begin with. Since doom's hardware demands are so low, it is one of the best games to get a lot of stuff going at once.

14 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

The atmosphere and exploration for sure, followed by the music and sound effects.  This is

probably reflected in my maps.

A lot. Epic.

28 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Slaughter maps. Not only in terms of playing them, but also in terms of them being a possibility to begin with. Since doom's hardware demands are so low, it is one of the best games to get a lot of stuff going at once.

10000 demons at once, now thats something! 

It was made.

That, and it came on floppy disks when I still didn't have a CD-ROM drive.

I love how easy it is to just pick up and play. Even if I go on long breaks (if that's even possible) I can still come back and have a ton of fun.

1 minute ago, Jamins34 said:

I love how easy it is to just pick up and play. Even if I go on long breaks (if that's even possible) I can still come back and have a ton of fun.

Same, I usually play it about every single day, but when Im out of the city or just without the emotion to play, I can leave it for 1 month, then when I come back It just feels even more fun and fantastic.

Even though games like wolf3d and Doom are simple, you can still see a story if you look: like there's a door in the back of the club? it implies a larger world in a way, and I imagine that there's a Doomguy or two just outside smoking cigarettes

It's simple enough and complex enough at the same time.

The maps are uncluttered. I hate that modern games have worlds that are so full of clutter that you get stuck everywhere and interactive items need a flashing highlight to be noticeable in all the rubble.

The fact that it’s a game you can just sit down and play and not have to sit through endless cut scenes and tutorials right from the get go. It has memorable baddies and weapons and tunes that compliment the nonstop gameplay. Doom is a game that you can replay over and over due to the endless custom content that’s released by wonderfully talented people who are passionate about Doom even after all these years.

50 minutes ago, reflex17 said:

I imagine that there's a Doomguy or two just outside smoking cigarettes

But Doom being a 90s game, they's just light a fat one indoors and it'd be perfectly cool. No ghetto back-alley smoking for the cool kids, back then.

Mapping/modding being easy while flexible enough to always make new ideas possible, and the amount of existing maps/mods that are fun to play and available for free.

8 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

Mapping/modding being easy while flexible enough to always make new ideas possible, and the amount of existing maps/mods that are fun to play and available for free.

I just wonder like how many wads have ever been created, most be thousands, so much to play! 

Flexibility, compatibility, gameplay, music, difficulty, that freaking gif and all of the above. Doom is love, Doom is life.

I was getting ready to say just about the same damn thing that leodoom85 just said!

It is definitely part of our life!

Well here's what I was going to say, well I might as well say it then. :P

AH DOOM!
Gloooorious DooM!
The master of all games known to man!
The gem that will never collect the dust!
The game that we fall back on every time after playing any other game!
The game that our life has revolved around for over 20 years!
The real reason computers exist today!  
A prodigy, A marvel, A god of sorts, A love, An art.
DooM..
That and it's fun to play and super easy to create and share stuff with. :)

DOOM WE WUB YOU!

@Anidrex_1009

Heck man there's a lot more than thousands.. unless your just talking about mega wads, MODs, and TC?

Hmm, yeah it's gotta be in the 100 thousand mark or something.

Let's see:

- The vast variety of styles of maps you can find and play: adventurous, incidental, exploration, claustrophobia, spacious, puzzle, punchy, weirdness, slaughter, infestation, etc, etc, etc.

- Cacodemons

- Music in OPL2/3, I really dig into some tracks, to the point I sometimes feel like starting a map, pressing ESC and listen to the music repeatedly, in fact I'm going to do it right now.

- Cacodemons

- Texture diversity, I love playing Doom in every existent color except fluorescent... 

- Cacodemons

- The bestiary is really varied, aside from the two nobles of different HP, I like how for oneself each monster represents different levels of threat according to specific situations, but in between monsters (that means infighting) the strongest or usual winner may not be the one who's generally or popularly more dangerous for the player, e.g. a 1 vs. 1 in between an archvile and a baron, the last one will always win because of higher HP. 

- Cacodemons

- Indirectly, I like this place because I can feel like I'm not the only one in the world who still plays a 90's game.

- Cacodemons

I genuinely think it might be one of the most tightly designed video games ever designed; like right up there with Mario or something in their respective genres.

It's fun and there's an endless amount of user content with nearly infinitely high skill ceilings to explore and through which to appreciate a level of craft most commercial releases don't even manage.

*Puts on MFA hat* It's, uh, superlative in its medium.

3 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

I was getting ready to say just about the same damn thing that leodoom85 just said!

It is definitely part of our life!

Well here's what I was going to say, well I might as well say it then. :P

AH DOOM!
Gloooorious DooM!
The master of all games known to man!
The gem that will never collect the dust!
The game that we fall back on every time after playing any other game!
The game that our life has revolved around for over 20 years!
The real reason computers exist today!  
A prodigy, A marvel, A god of sorts, A love, An art.
DooM..
That and it's fun to play and super easy to create and share stuff with. :)

DOOM WE WUB YOU!

@Anidrex_1009

Heck man there's a lot more than thousands.. unless your just talking about mega wads, MODs, and TC?

Hmm, yeah it's gotta be in the 100 thousand mark or something.

This game has definitely earned a lot of brutal fan hearts  :D

Thousands of thousands of fantastic fan-made things to play! 

Here are some points I can just immediately think of:

- The artwork: Textures, monster sprites etc. I think Doom has the most amazing, varied and well-looking graphics among many games I played. Just look at the textures: wooden library, green marble with ornaments, tech and computers etc. I think Doom has more "vibrant" colors than, for example, Duke Nukem, especially the green. I like Heretic artwork as well.

- Creating maps is really easy. There alre lot of editors, and the modern ones (Doom Builder 1/2) are really user-friendly. Most notably, using linedef actions is simple and intuitive. Just look at doing the same in Duke Nukem 3D: all these lo-tags, hi-tags, special sprites etc. Without manual you are pretty lost there. Also I don't think there is any modern, user-friendly editor, other than those based off the original Build.

- Strafe-running

- Double-voice OPL instruments with fine tuning of the second voice. I just love Synth Strings in Heretic and many other instruments like this. Thanks Paul Radek for DMX.

- Modern ports, like (G)ZDoom, bringing many modern features like 3D floors, while preserving the feeling and principles of the original engine.

- HUGE amount of user content, especially the megawads. You could play the existing new levels for Doom continuously over many years, and still new ones are being created. Also many megawads have their own original MIDIs composed exclusively for them by various composers.

- The Doom engine. I think that Doom engine is really HUUUGE step forward from Wolf3D and similar engines. The Wolf3D-based engines are all limited to 2D-square-grid map geometry and no height variation. This leads to maps basically being a simple first-person-view labyrinth. While Doom brings free geometry and height variation, which ebables 1000000 times more creative and complex level designs.

9 minutes ago, Hisymak said:

Here are some points I can just immediately think of:

- The artwork: Textures, monster sprites etc. I think Doom has the most amazing, varied and well-looking graphics among many games I played. Just look at the textures: wooden library, green marble with ornaments, tech and computers etc. I think Doom has more "vibrant" colors than, for example, Duke Nukem, especially the green. I like Heretic artwork as well.

- Creating maps is really easy. There alre lot of editors, and the modern ones (Doom Builder 1/2) are really user-friendly. Most notably, using linedef actions is simple and intuitive. Just look at doing the same in Duke Nukem 3D: all these lo-tags, hi-tags, special sprites etc. Without manual you are pretty lost there. Also I don't think there is any modern, user-friendly editor, other than those based off the original Build.

- Strafe-running

- Double-voice OPL instruments with fine tuning of the second voice. I just love Synth Strings in Heretic and many other instruments like this. Thanks Paul Radek for DMX.

- Modern ports, like (G)ZDoom, bringing many modern features like 3D floors, while preserving the feeling and principles of the original engine.

- HUGE amount of user content, especially the megawads. You could play the existing new levels for Doom continuously over many years, and still new ones are being created. Also many megawads have their own original MIDIs composed exclusively for them by various composers.

- The Doom engine. I think that Doom engine is really HUUUGE step forward from Wolf3D and similar engines. The Wolf3D-based engines are all limited to 2D-square-grid map geometry and no height variation. This leads to maps basically being a simple first-person-view labyrinth. While Doom brings free geometry and height variation, which ebables 1000000 times more creative and complex level designs.

A perfect list, you're absolutely right. I admire Doom in every way because he has simply created something unique that we will probably never see again. A work of art.

that it's been editable by the users, who in turn created this awesome community.   There is no shortage of talent or creativity within the community and it's starting to look like our best years are ahead of us.