Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomslayer11122

How to find Doom like Midi's?

Now I adore Midi's, but I cant ever find any good ones. Only ones used with a piano program and I don't like the sound. Doom Midi's however sound amazing. And I cant seem to find a way to find Midi's that sound like they came from Doom. Anyone know a website to find some good Doom like Midi's?

Every midi can sound differently with soundfonts. Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack could fit in your request, I guess. 

Most of the good ones are made by Doom fans. You could try lifting the ones you like from wads you downloaded. If you release a map with it, be sure to credit the original creator or the wad you got it from.

Best advice I can give: listen to A LOT of midis, because most of them are either extremely primitive or totally non-Doomy. For example, you can download the whole vgmusic.com archive and play 10 midis a day. After a few months you should have some decent stuff picked. As 40oz said, other wads can be good sources as well.

Nice ideas guys. Theirs 2 WADS I found that have Midi's i want. Zdaemon City and Doom center. You can choose what songs you want as well in those WADS so its really helpful!

Expanding on what 40oz said, PRIMEVAL is one of the Doom community musicians who sticks quite close to the style of the original Doom soundtracks. His Doom wiki page has a list of WADs he's written music for.

Mark Klem of Memento Mori/Requiem/etc fame was probably the biggest name back in the 90s, he also did a good number of cool songs, so those are some WADs to look at for sure. Not so close to the Bobby Prince sound I guess, but being involved with so many classic WADs, his work is iconic enough to be thrown in with "oldschool" Doom music, for lack of a better description.

By the way, I was assuming by "Doom MIDIs" you specifically meant the original games, but maybe I've misunderstood?

See if anything I've picked up fits here. Contains originals from Eris Falling, Jimmy, Stewboy, Deadwing and other content from mostly Doom stuff. Get 7-Zip to open the 7z file.

Edited by Glaice

You can use slade3 to extract midi lumps for easy listening. If they're Mus format, there's a program (can't remember what it's called, damn..) that converts them to midi.

I love the plutonia midi pack and exec.wad soundtrack, among many many others. Hell Revealed 2 as well!

10 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

If they're Mus format, there's a program (can't remember what it's called, damn..) that converts them to midi.

slade3 can convert MUS to MIDI if i remember correctly

Correct, you can do this by right clicking on a MUS file and it's in the Audio option at the bottom.

Also I recommend remembering the authors name of midis you really like on vgmusic since they do consistent work (Jay Richards comes to mind will all of his great midis)

The majority of the music in the PK3 archive I linked/uploaded up above is in MIDI format.

For those curious, the "Original tracks" subdirectory is a list of content from Laura's MIDI Heaven, which I had the fortune of able to download what I enjoyed before that site vanished.

I do plan on expanding the PK3 size to be one of those "One in all" type archives for easy access for mappers.

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

Also I recommend remembering the authors name of midis you really like on vgmusic since they do consistent work (Jay Richards comes to mind will all of his great midis)

*Reichard

In your opinion what is the best midi editor (now daw)? On my phone I have a daw called caustic 3 that I would try to make midis with but the midi export is pretty terrible as I cant seem to find a way to specify what bank each synth should export to so everything except the drum machine exports as piano...