Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What makes Doomworld nicer than some forums?

4 minutes ago, geo said:

I don't think it was you. He was banned. I can go dig up the thread....

Yeah you're not the one I was talking about. There were 2 threads. One when it first happened and a second one when I decided to dig a little back in January. In the second one you apologized for being a shithead in the first.

I did? Link? I know my post was post helled, but the first thread still exists, I guess? I definitely remember the 2nd one.

1 hour ago, Jaxxoon R said:

SomethingAwful may not be the most flattering comparison to make, considering the state it and its owner are in now.

Have you paused for a moment to consider that saying DW has been inspired by SA 20 years ago might be completely unrelated to the current state of SA?

It's okay, it's not overly strict to the point I may as well not even bother but it's not so lenient as to allow a Project Manhunt to transpire (where I had originally hailed from) with shit-posters ahoy now and super dead with staff that don't care. I think it might be too safe at times here though, and I say this because I've been on a couple 'rough' forums where there was small but tight-knit communities, mostly chill admins/mods (the last one I was on was the Destructive Creations forums), and amusingly enough I've made more friends at these other places than I have in the 7 years I've been here. You might think 'it takes one to know one', given the kind of games these forums were based on, but that's not really the case and a B&W way of thinking, as I feel I've learned more in a less safe environment than vice versa. Still overall this place is objectively better than it used to be since the software update and what seems like discouraged radicalism; from all sides.

3 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

SomethingAwful may not be the most flattering comparison to make, considering the state it and its owner are in now.

I'm not a regular there so I have no idea about recent developments there.

4 minutes ago, fraggle said:

I'm not a regular there so I have no idea about recent developments there.

I am a regular there and are unaware of any noteworthy developments there. Lowtax did change the forum CSS slightly, maybe Jaxxoon is angry about that?

It's a nice forum. Once upon a time I'd actually argue the GOG.com forums where the nicest forums around, but that has changed drastically in recent years. I don't really put much stock in online communities anymore though. I'm just here until I'm not anymore, woah deep...

Apparently Lowtax was banned from Twitter a few weeks ago. Not sure what else has happened.

26 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

I think it might be too safe at times here

yeah I tested the waters of a joke and got a warning. now look guys, this has nothing to do with laundry. In fact I don't even do laundry that much anymore because my landlord complains about the water usage. Ya see, that was a joke. I know a joke is hard to tell in JUST text form, and I know that you all don't know me that well. That's okay. But the point of a forum is so we can discuss thing in depth. Maybe someone called me a mean name and said I still lived with my mother. That's okay, guys. Sometimes we have to learn from our hardships and criticisms. You strive to be a better forum than most, well that's great. But you also can't hide and try to protect others from the truth. No matter where you go in life, there may be things you don't agree with, but both parties can learn from said encounter. Sometimes you can't prevent or protect, so the only thing left to do is laugh it off, even if you're emotionally attached to the one at the butt of the joke. 

46 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

What makes doomworld nicer than other forums?

Easy.

@Linguica.

Wow, you should write greeting cards or something.

6 hours ago, Quasar said:

Even on well-behaved reddits (like the Doom one for example, never been offended by anything I read there so far) I just find that there's no scope for extended discussion because the entire thing basically functions like a news feed and not a forum. Everybody's rating and clicking the newest topics as they come up and if they get three or four actual replies it's unusual. Topics that have fallen off the front page will stop being responded to or even read by most people, and more often than not they get duplicated in within a few days because there's zero expectation for anybody to ever go past that first page boundary apparently. It feels like being awash in a sea of ADHD, frankly.

I don’t get why Reddit is given so much relevance. It’s full of garbage posts. I find Quora way superior. In fact when I Google for an opinion and find the topic on Reddit, I can be sure it will be full of trolls and empty in information.

9 minutes ago, printz said:

I don’t get why Reddit is given so much relevance. It’s full of garbage posts. I find Quora way superior. In fact when I Google for an opinion and find the topic on Reddit, I can be sure it will be full of trolls and empty in information.

6 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Reddit is mostly trash.

There's only one subreddit I find worth visiting and participating in anyway.

Doomworld is weird. Has its own share of toxicity and problems, but I can never seem to fully escape it. There was a period where the average hostility made me disillusioned with the place and I moved on to a nicer forum, until that place fell victim to moderator corruption and became a strictly controlled hell, now this place is MUCH nicer. Maybe I'll post more again one day. But without a computer to play Doom on, not really much to participate in.

I find Doomworld to be one of the few sites I can revisit frequently enough and find interesting discussion happening that don't involve politics or other cruddy topics that brings toxicity to the mix. It's also nice that there is room for humor but not to the point it becomes obnoxious or repetitive, reddit comes to my mind with that. Feels nice not to be involved in some sites or forums that have the extremes taking over and attacking others for whatever reason they might have.

What makes Doomworld nicer than some fourms?

no one know me here in real life.

its generally secular

12 hours ago, 40oz said:

Where are all the jerks supposed to go?

To the Something Awful forums, where they become SA goons. Though that place does have its own set of apparently arbitrary rules. Oh well, that's why there's /b/ and /pol/...

13 hours ago, 40oz said:

Where are all the jerks supposed to go?

There used to be Loser mode which basically prevented losers from viewing anything other than Post Hell and Losers category for a limited period, I went there twice or so, fun stuff.

I generally scratch my head when people say the Doom community is nice/reasonable/mature.  Then I remind myself of the Warcraft II forum I peeked into once where the posts were things like "I'll rape everyone and steal the gold again" and "your still retarded", or the DOS games forum where most of the posts were by a guy who would include incoherent stuff about Jesus in every post and once made a thread about molesting his cousin.  I guess the Churchill principle applies; Doomworld is the worst forum, except for all the others.

But I do agree with the assessment that a lot of it probably comes down to having staff that police things the right way.  (And it's changed for the better these days, eg removing Post Hell and the decline in popularity of giving out lots of derogatory custom titles, which were probably things that contributed to the old reputation of Doomworld being rather unpleasant).

2 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

or the DOS games forum where most of the posts were by a guy who would include incoherent stuff about Jesus

So that's where Carlos went...

15 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

...DOS games forum where most of the posts were by a guy who would include incoherent stuff about Jesus in every post and once made a thread about molesting his cousin. 

Interestingly enough I actually came across that when trying to figure out DOSBox.

1. Users that are older and more mature on average.

2. A lovely calming deep blue as the site background.

3. Doom is a simple game, so there isn't too much to get angry about.

4. People are generally happy to help others and are decently emphatic. (Any status update involving some kind of tragedy is invariably met with kind comments.)

5. Generally less stuff about politics and religion.

I'm not going to comment on site politics since the only experience I have with that are a warning courtesy of Fraggle and a few posts fron Ling.

15 hours ago, Poorchop said:

I'm kind of new here but I see angry people all of the time. If there's a thread where the topic calls for speculation, there's always someone saying "these threads need to stop." I've seen thread creators getting lambasted for asking genuine questions. There is a ton of hostility on these forums and it has kind of steered me away from the more general subforums.

It's interesting to see this post in between all of these other posts talking about just how nice and friendly this community is. I think it's worth considering this person's viewpoint as a brand new member to the community.

When I first registered on Doomworld, it took me nearly a year before I even made my first post. It just didn't seem like a friendly and easy place for a new member outside of the "old guard" era to start posting. There were long ingrained forum customs and in-jokes everywhere, many of which seemed very hostile or just simply "SA-tough" to me. I only started posting after a review for my first level ended up in /newstuff chronicles, and even that review seemed somewhat cold and indifferent at the time. After several years here though, I felt the community warm up a lot. I joined some IRC channels, started getting involved in some community projects, and just got to know the other people posting here. There was a long history of drama and in-jokes that I never got to be a part of, but that sort of thing really fascinated me.

I eventually ingrained myself in this community, and I'm happy I did so. The majority of my online friends are from here, and I feel I'll be posting on these forums for a long time to come. With that said, the Doom community really doesn't have a warm and fuzzy exterior all the time. It can be very intimidating for a new member to open up a subthread on EE and find dew and Tracer arguing with each other for several pages. Scorned past members have fragmented off of DW to start their own unmentionable communities, based entirely around their united hatred for Linguica and Bloodshedder. Carlos periodically floods the pages with gore and crazed religious lunacy. Doomworld is cliquey, with tight groups of members doing a lot of their discussion on IRC and Discord channels outside of the forums. It definitely doesn't reach the level of "doominati" that some people complain about, but it can be tough to figure out which subset of Doomers you need to get 'in' with before feeling like you really have a place in this community. I could probably go on.

I think the past year with DW's new layout and features have done wonders for the community though. The new interface is a little more modern, which is attractive to newcomers and gives them more ways to easily start jumping in and interacting with the community. Post Hell and Losers are gone, which I still maintain to be a good thing even if they were entertaining to look at sometimes. I always found their presence to be a deterrent for people like myself who can be intimidated by a forum that puts their idiots on display like a sideshow attraction. It seems like new membership is way up since the changes, though that could also have to do with the new DOOM game released just last year. The quality of discussion and posting has gone up, and we're seeing a lot more new mappers feeling comfortable to show their levels and get friendly help from our veterans.

@Poorchop I don't know you, but please stick around. DW can present a cold exterior, but it has a warm interior.

Yeah, I had to agree with Poorchop. I think it's gotten a shit-ton better since the forum update and some changes, but before that I felt the same way, DW was a tough nut to crack and I always felt sorta under scrutiny, worried if I said anything I'd get shat on for it. But it's all good now, I've seen a lot of members joining lately and some civil discussion on the WADs and mods board anyway, few dickholes still around but it's minor stuff.