Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What makes Doomworld nicer than some forums?

41 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

3. Doom is a simple game, so there isn't too much to get angry about.

5. Generally less stuff about politics and religion.

Heh.

3 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

(And it's changed for the better these days, eg removing Post Hell and the decline in popularity of giving out lots of derogatory custom titles, which were probably things that contributed to the old reputation of Doomworld being rather unpleasant).

Ha, yeah, and the thread labels 'DUMB' 'LOOK AT ME' 'WOW'. I typically garnered early on that this forum has had a rich history of dealing with morons, and I did like the Losers subforum even if I did go there a few times (most of them being my fault) because it was a more friendly way of making you think about what you had done (I also thought more forums could really benefit from such a temporary banishing). Post Hell was just worth a lol and to see what is and isn't tolerated around here as well as providing insight as to what went wrong in a thread. Now we have warnings that hover over some of our heads as a reminder that 'just two more times I dare you motherfucker' and we may be gone for good one day for either a slip up or mere self defense from a haughty member. That's a bit more demeaning IMO, but at least here we don't have a flashing user title banner with 'WARNED MEMBER!' like there once was on the Manhunt forum.

23 hours ago, Poorchop said:

If there's a thread where the topic calls for speculation, there's always someone saying "these threads need to stop."

I always said those things jokingly, and I'm sure others too.

It's just tiring to see the same thread appear repeatedly, but most people bear it and move on. 

On 10/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, 40oz said:

Where are all the jerks supposed to go?

4CHAN, Vine, Twitter, Reddit, Snapchat, Facebook; in that order.

On topic with the OP, I think these forums tend to be more pleasant because the Doom community is older and generally more mature. Younger and potentially immature fans of Doom probably don't even know this forum exists because they simply assume that the Doom community is small and isolated and never bother to investigate it. That's part of the reason I didn't join this forum until this year, I didn't know how large or dedicated this community was until I was seeking help with a nodebuilder error in Doom Builder 2 and discovered the massive quantity of helpful people who responded to my first post. I generally refuse to engage with most social media, primarily due to the toxicity that is tolerated for no good reason on most websites now and other more personal reasons I've mentioned in a different thread that I'm not repeating here.

On this website, when I look at an older thread and see a member post something awful and disgusting, I notice that under their username it says "banned", and smile knowing that this person has either left the forum or has created a new account after having learned something and (hopefully) improved from it. I also see threads of a particular nature that makes them likely to become toxic and am glad to see moderators close them down as soon as they appear to be going downhill to prevent unwanted unpleasantness.

7 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

We are brought together because of our passion for demons and chainsaws in space.

And avenging Daisy.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:01 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

or the DOS games forum where most of the posts were by a guy who would include incoherent stuff about Jesus in every post and once made a thread about molesting his cousin.

Oh goodness, I remember that.  Those posts are kind of terrifying.  I wondered if that user was a troll or an actual crazy person.

3 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Oh goodness, I remember that.  Those posts are kind of terrifying.  I wondered if that user was a troll or an actual crazy person.

Wonder if it was the same guy who spammed crazy religious stuff and gore in the Doom General forum.

Wonder if it was the same guy who spammed crazy religious stuff and gore in the Doom General forum.

Oh damn, not that guy I again. I try to forget all those he spammed us with cuckoo blessings and religious spam along with the gore (which I didn't see for some time until I turned on image loading on my browser).

Although I'd gladly love to see some multi-core Doom development.

2 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

I kind of doubt it.  That one seems to have a long-standing and actively malicious grudge against the Doom community for whatever perceived slight happened ages ago, the guy I was referring to came off as more in the class of "weirdo with no sense of propriety and oblivious to his own weirdness".  Sure, he could've been a troll of some sort, but in that case would've been one playing a long-run persona rather than just a punk trying to trash the site by flooding it with junk.

I sign into DW so I can talk about maps and shit professionally. Of course a talk about other stuff occasionally is fun. DW is perfect for that.

I think doomworld is better than other forums because people are more nice to each other and people are more mature with what they say here.

Edited by bopanog