Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OneManArmy

What's your favorite Doom & Doom 2 Level?

Doom: E3M2, the slought of despair. it kicks ass so much! Play it on Nightmare, and there's my vision of hell. I just love outdoor levels.

Doom 2: Monster Condo. A trap at every step, really nice design. There's something about its mood that gets to my nerves and makes me shiver.

There's also a lot of wads out there that kick ass, but i dont think i can mention them all, but for example: Am I Evil, by Alex Welikanov.

Doom1: E1M3, E1M7, E2M6, E2M7, E3M3, E3M4.

Doom2: Map09, Map10, Map27, Map28.

Evilution: Map06, Map20.

Plutonia: Map22, Map23, Map29.

Doom 1: E4M2 (Perfect Hatred)
Doom 2: Map 09 (The Pit)

Both highly non-linear, and full of scope for all sorts of tricks.

Dear lord - this subject AGAIN?!? :p

Anyway :

Ultimate Doom - E1M4, E2M2, E2M4, E2M6, E3M2, E3M6, E3M7
Doom II - map03, map14, map15, map29

Doom II's mostly crap maps = fewer D2 favourite maps.

ULTIMATE DOOM
E1M8 - Phobos Anomaly (ambiance, shape construction, straight, short, smashing ending !)
E2M5 - Command Center (small corridors, weird, deadly, many secrets !)
E3M6 - Mt.Erebus (hudge open area, ugly, HELL !)
E4M3 - Sever The Wicked (I don't know why...)

DOOM II
Map13 - Downtown (challenging, urban guerilla, it rocks !)
Map27 - Monster Condo (dark, insane, disturbing !)

MASTER LEVELS
Map19 - Black Tower (concept, design, deadly roof, a must !)

TNT
Map21 - Administration Center (colossal map, nerver ending !)
Map27 - Mount Pain (dark sewers, the vision of the Mount with all the Lost Souls in the end !)

PLUTONIA
Map29 - Odyssey Of Noises (same as Downtown, but with hell atmosphere !)
Map32 - Go 2 It (total carnage, revision of Entryway !)

Anyway, the best of the best stays ULTIMATE DOOM.

Well thats great you can list the levels but its pointless unless you give us a reason for why you like them. As for me:
E1M8
Why?
Because its just so damn evil and simbolic of what Doom is. The Music the design the first "big guys" you have to face and the hopeless ending. You destroy the big guys then die anyway when you warp out of the level. Simple, atmospheric and simbolic.

The Big Robb said:

Well thats great you can list the levels but its pointless unless you give us a reason for why you like them.

I didn't list the reasons because i've done it before; but since you asked so nicely...

E1M4 - Fast paced with a variety of enviroments... the maze like area that leads to the yellow key is atmospheric.
E2M2 - Super-atmospheric, mainly for the crate maze and it's resident imps.
E2M4 - If only for the scale of demons around the rising staircase area towards the end. The soul-sphere secret at the exit is also perfectly implemented.
E2M6 - Extremely scary level for the wooden, dimly-lit area with the red key (i think, been a while since i played thru UD). The various traps up the scare factor.
E3M2 - Non-stop action fest with excellent design and a wealth of zombies and lost souls to blast through.
E3M6 - Open air battling with cacodemons that seem to appear out of thin air often has you turning tail and running on the first few tries.
E3M7 - Partly cuz of the music (yes, i know it was on E2M7 as well), but the teleporter-linked areas and 'puzzles' add an extra dimension to what's already a damn fine hell-map.
map03 - The main 'gauntlet' area, partly cuz it's fun to catch the imps in a crossfire with the offending zombies at the start.
map14 - Great design and theme, plenty of chaingunning 'snipers', and of course that Arch-vile and the zombies surrounding him - kill it first and foremost or wind up fighting hundreds of resurrected cannon-fodder.
map15 - Massive map, good design (though i think the sp_rock texture on the steps near the start could have been better). Co-op play adds a cyberdemon (nuff said).
map29 - Again, a huge map with plenty to do, a cyberdemon at the 'mountain's summit, and massive crossfire potential.

I swear it's almost an inevitability to see one of these threads at least once a month.

Ultimate Doom:

• E1M5 - Phobos Lab (Suspensful atmosphere/music)
  • E2M3 - Refinery (none)
  • E2M4 - Deimos Lab (Very eerie atmosphere/music)
  • E2M6 - Halls of the Damned (See Deimos Lab)
  • E3M2 - Slough of Despair (Suspensful atmosphere)
  • E3M7 - Limbo / Gate to Limbo (Suspensful atmosphere)
Doom 2:
  • Map18 - The Courtyard (none)
  • Map27 - Monster Condo (Suspensful atmosphere)
Final Doom - Evilution:
  • Map16 - Deepest Reaches (Eerie atmosphere)
  • Map26 - Ballistyx ("The Wonders of Hell")
  • Map28 - Heck (See Ballistyx)
Final Doom - Plutonia:
  • Map03 - Aztec (Eerie atmosphere)

DOOM
Nuclear Plant
Central Processing
Computer Station
Deimos Anomaly
Containmnet Area
Deimos Lab
Spawning Vats
Unholy Cathedral
Gate to Limbo
They Will Repent
Fear

episode 2 is my fav in original Doom. Playing these the first time changed my life, what can i say.

DOOM2
The Waste Tunnels
The Pit
Circle of Death
The Factory
The Courtyard
The Citadel
The Chasm
Monster Condo
The Spirit World
The Living End

these are my personal choices for Doom2. Explaining why i like these levels would take forever, just play them and relive the greatness.

Ultimate Doom:
All Of Episode1
All Of Episode3

Doom2:
Map30
Map16
Map07
Map29
Map11

TNT:
Map20
Map30
Map31
Map32

Plutonia:
Map30
Map31
Map32

For Doom my fave is Spawning Vats for sure. For Doom 2, it's a tie between Dead Simple and The Suberbs.

Mine with comments.

Ultimate Doom:

E1M3 Toxin Refinery:
This one has this mellow basey feel of E1 in the most concentrated form. Also the secrets are some of the best I have ever seen. You get a few glimpses here and there, but if you search carefully the whole map unfolds.

E1M6 Central Processing:
So many majestic base areas, and hey i'm a TEKWALL addict.

E1M7 Computer Station:
Shows that E1 style can be scary too. The dim lit hallways in contrast to the few very bright rooms. The windows and overlooking areas gives this corridor level an excellent feeling of space. Seeing halls that you have already cleared repopulated by monsters was really unnerving (though it lost it's bite when I figured out where the monsters exactly came from).

E2M4 Deimos Lab:
Again, majestic base areas. I can't resist them. The room just after you took the first teleporter totally blew me away (and still does) in all it's simplicity.

E2M6 Halls of the Damned:
For some reason I just love this level.

E2M7 Spawning Vats:
The primordial Doom level in the tech style Doom were originally planned to be. The "hellish" areas are so seemingly integrated with the rest it's a dream to behold. The level is complicated, yet compact, and very varied.

E3M3 Pandemonium:
Played UV from pistol start this level is so cool because you cannot just run up and grab the shotgun but are forced to take the long way around gathering up an entourage of monsters on the prowl. This level is very non-linear giving you an unique sense of space. I love this hell/tech style (the level was originally all tech).

E3M4 House of Pain:
I still love that hell/tech style and I think this level added a bit of mystery to it with it's eerie strangeness. The initial rooms are killer and I love that "gallery of suffering".

Doom2:

Map10 Refueling Station:
Again the nonlinearity coupled with the large halls gives an excellent sense of "grandness". Also this level has this toned down tech style you'll really only find in the alphas.

Map24 Chasm:
It is not the thin wallways gimmick that keeps me coming back to this one. It is the side areas that interest me. I really love the contrast between the big murky cavern and the bright cramped side areas.

Map27 Monster Condo:
This level is spooky with the large empty dark rooms and the sudden trap attacks, but what really hits home is the creepy sense of weirdness. It looks like a kind of city, but yet it really looks like nothing at all. It looks like something from earth, but yet everything screams hell. You find a heavy steel door in the middle of a dark arcane library. Behind it is a storehouse of unspeakable horrors.

Map28 The Spirit World:
Pure fire 'n brimstone. Gotta love it. Slip into a crack to discover a whole new world.

Evilution:

Map06 Open Season:
Shows that tech style levels can be scary. You have to do a bit running to and fro after keys and switches, but i'll do anything for atmospherics like these.

Map20 Central Processing:
This level is so massive. Unfolding each time you take a turn to become larger and larger until you reach a climax with the outdoor area. Also this level always takes unexpected turns with the architecture.

Map27 Mount Pain:
Almost for the same reasons as Map20 this one offers some good fights too. The mountain of fire spitting lost souls is clever and gives this map the ending it deserves.

Plutonia:

Map23 Tombstone:
Somewhat E1'ish .Somewha E2'ish. Somewhat Doom2'ish. Reminding me of old Amiga games for some reason. Nonlinear with dangerous fights utilising mixes of monsters rather than clusters of a kind.

Map29 Odyssey of Noises:
Excellent city level though a bit too light brown. That cyberdemon firing down the main street making getting to and from a bit tricky.

Ultimate DooM
Favorite Levels:
Episode One-Knee Deep in the Dead
E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, E1M5, E1M6, E1M7, E1M8
Episode Two-Shores of Hell
E2M2, E2M4, E2M5, E2ME, E2M8, E2M9
Episode Three-Inferno
E3M1, E3M2, E3M3, E3M8, E3M9
Episode Four-Thy Flesh Consumed
E4M2, EMM4, E4M8

DooM 2
Favorite Levels:
Map01
Map04
Map05
Map06
Map07
Map08
Map10
Map11
Map12
Map13
Map16
Map18
Map20
Map24
Map28
Map30
Map32

Wasn't the question asking what your favorite level was in the two games, not your favorite three or five or ten?

Doom - E1M5. I just love the music. I also like the design, the circle down to the switch below the lift, the nukage, the flashing lights in the last room, the secret with the freaky teleporter...

Doom 2 - Map08, not because it's such a wonderful map, but because it has most of the monsters easily accessible and I used to use it all the time when testing Dehacked patches.

So may levels to narrow down.. hmm..

The Ultimate Doom

E1M3 - Nonstop bloodbath.
E1M5 - Suspensful with many errie elements, and VERY fitting music.
E1M6 - Good monster populace, and the kind of music that will keep
you moving in a 'killing groove'
E1M7 - LOVE the whole thing. Music. Atmosphere. Construction. Amount
of monsters. Placement. It's all laid in there like a perfect
picture.
E1M8 - As someone said, for the same reasons, embodies all of what
Doom is. This level is evil, had very sinsister and hopless
music, it's the first run in with big monsters, and it's a
moment I'm sure we will have tattoed in all our minds forever.

E2M2 - Great environment. Loved stalking/being stalked by Imps in the
box maze.
E2M4 - Most atmospheric level in the entire game. Ever.
E2M8 - First run in with a Cyberdemon. Enough said.
E3M2 - Wow.. this is my second favorite level of all of Inferno.
music that, to me resounds of agony on the run. Frantic last
chance kinda thing. Great level.
E3M6 - Best Inferno level. HUGE landscape and it just had 'Hell'
screaming off of ever pixel of it.
E3M7 - One level that scared me whenever I got lost, cause it just
kept getting more trap filled with every step I took.
E4M2 - Fave of all of Thy Flesh Consumed. It reeked the most heavily
of Ep4's Theme.

Doom II

Map 02 - Level feeling, music, layout, EVERYTHING went flawlessly
hand in hand with the name (this is more than I can say for
Map 15.. Damned castle in the middle of lava..)
Map 03 - I love this level. Love the music to little tiny peices.
Love the feel. Love that moment you can mow down an entire
group of zombies with the SSG in the beginning. ;)
Map 08 - Tricks and Traps are exactly what it's full of, and that's
why I like it.
Map 09 - Every bit of this level is just marvelous. ESP the music.
Map 13 - Geurilla combat in a city. What more do ya need?
Map 16 - How could I NOT acknowledge that football team of Imps. ;)
Map 28 - My fave Doom II level. Got my fave music to boot. Great
Atmosphere, and it's another one of those levels that has
'Hell' screaming from every pixel.
Map 30 - This was one of the most intesne fights I have ever fought
on UV when I didn't know what to do.. evne when I did
figure it out, that still didn't make it any easier.
This was a FANTASTIC way to end Doom II. Unlike the origonal
Doom (NOT Ultimate)... so very anticlimactic the end of
Inferno was...

elbryan42 said:

Spawning Vats

Then there is something being made that you will probably like. A LOT :)

elbryan42 said:

Dead Simple

Yes, you will definitely like it ;)

From DOOM, one out of E1M4-E1M7 or E2M2-E2M4. I can't pick one.

From DOOM2... all the maps around the middle of the game are great. It's even harder to pick a fav here.

Ultimate Doom:

E1M5, E1M7, E2M2, E2M7, E3M3, E4M7, E4M9

Doom 2:

MAP10, MAP11, MAP14, MAP25, MAP28

Incidentally, I can't believe some people picked E3M6, E4M4, MAP06 and MAP24 as their favourites :o These are my LEAST favourite levels.

Okay, I've narrowed it down to two this time for each game:

DOOM

Halls of the Damned - Just creepy as Hell with the best music track in Doom to boot. Also, I liked the little computer pit area and I think it was this level that has the fake exit...muahaha.

Gates of Limbo - The big central room, the huge marble doors, the lava maze, that damn cacodemon that for some reason just sat there without attacking me once thus scaring the shit out of me. It's just really cool. Also, I beleive it uses that same music.

DOOM 2

Tricks And Traps - The Baron of Hell conference, the cacodemon trap, the trick corridor, the cool music. Also I was amazed that the first time I ever played it without god mode, I beat it without dieing or being brutaly mauled.

Barrels of Fun - ^_^ Also, it has Them Bones as the soundtrack.

Doom:
E1M3

Doom II:
Map 27 (The room full of bodies does it for me)
Map 30 (Because of the music and that freaky wall you have to walk through. Those faces freak me out)

NiGHTMARE said:

Then there is something being made that you will probably like. A LOT :)

Yes, you will definitely like it ;)

hehe! definitely!

DOOM: E1m7: Computer Station or E1M8: Phobos Anomaly (both for the music and the lvls) DOOM II: Map28: The Spirit World (again, I love the music and the lvl) May Seen odd 2 u but Im different >:D

Doom 2

Map27
Its just the atmosphere and the music (pantera - this love) makes it a hole creepier, Its been my faveourite map for years...

Doom 2 Map 29 or 20, i cant decide (I also like industrial Zone)
Doom 1: Episode 2 level 2

My answer could be like Maonth's, but I'll make an effort and pinpoint one of each:

e1m7 - I'm in love with the whole episode but this one has variety and the effect caused by the openings between the different areas with different heights is masterful.

map14 - Heh, actually in a way this map shares qualities with e1m7, but the effect is quite different, and the monster placement stands out since the combination of revenants, an archvile, and HWDs (and imps that get in the way with their slower fireballs) make it impressive. Who made this map?

O ya, forgot to mention, My Fav. Final DOOM Tnt/Evilution : Map27: Mount Pain - This is one of Fav. Cuz i Love the music and the whole lvl, especially the Mountain near the end, Which is pressumably Mount Pain, Hence the lvl name ;) Or Map30: Last Call - Again i Love the music and whole lvl really along with the multiple ways to end the lvl. Plutonia/The Plutonia Experiment: Map29 : Odyssey Of Noises- I love the music in this lvl, it really suites it in my opinion, also the big area where the CyberDemon, Spider MasterMind are is neat.