Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 7 - All Alone in the Flame of Doubt (BETA COMPILAT)

Will be held on the 21st October, 2017.

BASIC RULES:

- You'll have 2 hours to finish the map, however the borderline is 3 hours if your project is that ambitious

- The maps should be Boom compatible and playable in -complevel 9 in order to increase flexibility. You don't have to use Boom actions if you don't want to.

- You'll get three themes when the session starts to ensure fair play. The bonus, last session will also contain a bonus theme

- You'll need to incorporate at least one theme in your map!

CUSTOM TEXTURES:
Use whatever you want, and either add it in your WAD (the textures you used) or link the texture pack, or do whatever you want man.

- Custom skies aka sky transfers are permitted. Keep in mind they could make outdoor teleporter traps and actions buggy. Also you should include a 3 letter prefix (NAZ_SKY for myself, BZZ_SKY for bzzrak for instance) on skies. Yes I basically copied this text but nvm

So, the first session will be held on 2:00 PM New York time, or 7:00 PM Central European Time and the second session will be held 12 hours after. This is the most adaptable time I found because the 12 hour window covers almost the whole globe nicely.

for navigation - http://everytimezone.com

DISCORD SERVER https://discord.gg/usQDVGd

I don't expect much... even if only three people participate I'll be happy because of the recent fiasco.

Edited by NaZa

Appreciating the shout-out, lol.

I'll do my best to grace the sessions with my traditionally cacoward-tier mapping. :]

BTW, all those times are confusing. EST/UTC/Central European = absolute brain explosion. Why do timezones have to exist. I gather the superior Balkans, where me and you have the privilege of residing, are Central European time?

Also, if the first session is on Saturday at 7 PM, does that mean that the second one is on Sunday at 7 AM?

Central European Time is indeed Balkan time. It's the time in Central Europe. 

Also yeah, that's true.

It's a lyric from a song "City Lights" where the chorus goes like this:
"All alone in the danger zone

Are you ready to take my hand?

All alone in the flame of doubt

Are we going to lose it all?"

But hey, your idea is cool! I'll probably use it as an intermission screen as the title screens are traditionally the eagle pictures with numbers in the corner!

So "new York time" is EST right? If so that is good for me since 2pm EST would be 1 pm CST (my timezone :]) meaning I would have around 2 hours to map which fits the deadline perfectly :) Though that means I would have to incorporate testing time in there too as well... and make especially sure there are no game breaking bugs either as I wouldn't be able to edit it after that point until monday so... hm... I think I will need to practice making some little maps based on some random themes from jmickles random theme generator as if I do decide to participate I would definitely need to do some speedy mapping and I would never get done if I went at the same speed as I am going on my non speedmap lol

(though the reason that is going so slowly is mostly because I didn't actually plan anything ahead of time, and I'm getting bogged down in visual minutae that really dont matter right now like "exactly what light level and color should I use here and how far away should each light be" or trying to add complex room details before even getting the basic layout done, or fixing really slight texture alignments that the player probably wouldn't notice anyway most of the time but I personally dislike seeing. And triple/quadruple checking to make ABSOLUTELY SURE every door track is unpegged even when some doors use polyobjects so it isn't really necessary :D)

edit: speaking of jmickles theme generator when will the next doomworld roulette be? Those seem pretty fun

Edited by therektafire

Yeah it's EST. If the time is good that's great heh. 

I miss the Doomworld Roulette too man, that was good. 

Your local psychopath is reminding you that you should be ready on Saturday for the sessions! I might actually do a map.

EDIT of EDIT: it never existed

Edited by NaZa

I think I will be able to make a complete map for the 1pm session, maybe :) Depends on what the themes are though, I was able to make a sad little level based on the themes of eagle 4 in about 3 hours yesterday (well technically it was an hour and a half of work yesterday and another hour and a half today, with a couple of interruptions caused by me not knowing how to do some things properly...) but thats because they were relatively easy :/ also I will only have the 2 base hours to work on the map saturday so that is another issue... so will I be able to make a map, yes. But will it be in a finished state when the time is over... not sure

edit: i can show you the level if you want, it is pretty crappy and unbalanced but oh well, I don't really want to give myself any more time than i would have because it makes for good practice :)

Edited by therektafire

I wont make it to the first session due to work but I will participate the 2nd session :)

Phew, thought I'd forgot about the time yet again. 

Forty more minutes. The compilation will be ready on Monday or Tuesday. Maybe even tomorrow! :) 

THEMES

- possessed and creepy mansion

- no light levels brighter than 160

- Spectres and Lost Souls should be most dominant monsters although you may use others

Oh my God have I really gotten the timing wrong? Damn me and timezones. Well it's 7 PM CET here... So I started it now. 

I'm sorry guys, I thought I translated the time well. It was meant to start now but for future I'll just adjust the other time to 1 PM New York time because it's 1:45 pm there now right? I'm very sorry, once again. 

Wait so does it start now (1pm) or have I already lost time ;(

Also oh great an inside theme :( I am not very good at building speedmapping...

Edited by therektafire

Okay so due to this mixup I'll allow an extra hour but everyone would've done an extra hour anyway... Haha

Wow I have been working on the map for about an hour and a half and I just realized it looks kind of like a castle/mansion remake of map01 :O Also it is pretty short, so not sure if I really want to submit it or not...

My map is done... I'll submit it whenever I finish music selection and whatnot. It's pretty small, but it looks nice- I hope.