Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 7 - All Alone in the Flame of Doubt (BETA COMPILAT)

@bzzrak The Spectrophotometer is one of the most unique levels I've ever seen. Real bad-AAS.

Incredible creative flow described in the spoiler.

Haha. My motivation for creating this was kind of like "I have a pen, I have an apple, pineapple pen!". If anyone remembers the old meme. Basically it's just because of a bad pun.

So I googled up a pic of a spectrohotometer and a diagram of how it works, and tried to put that in the map. Some of the transparent textures in the level represent rays of light. Yeah, I know it looks like total ass.

Then I came up with an even worse idea.

" Hey, spectrophotometers are quite expensive. The last thing you want to happen to your machine is breaking. And how to machines usually break in cartoons? Water!"

To make it even more terriFIC, I made protecting it the objective of the map (kinda)!

All that resulted in this abstract work of art.

Tl;dr I made a piece of chemical equipment as a Doom map because I wanted to take advantage of a bad pun

By the way, making the water rise was a PITA. Stupid action 242.

Edited by bzzrak : Finally got access to the computer

Man, I've only recently discovered these threads.  I'm loving these things!!!  Hopefully I will find the time to participate in one.  May make one based on these themes right now for fun.  Never tried a speed mapping session.

Here is the final (for this contest) version of Mansion01, or at least presumably the final version since naza said he wanted to compile today and I don't want to hold him up. Changes made from the last version:

*There was a 1% health bonus on the left staircase in the starting room which is supposed to be shotgun ammo, that has been fixed

*Lighting in the cyberdemon room and the hallway leading up to it has been fixed to make it more consistent with the rest of the map

*Weirdly shaded lighting patch in the intersection between the red key room and the hallway leading to the red key door has been fixed

*Texture misalignments fixed

*Some changes to some wall textures to make them clash less with the surrounding walls

I still didn't get to add the midi though :( Naza can you add this midi to my map for me if you are going to compile the maps today

hall2.mid.zip

Here is the information for the map formatted more nicely than in the original post:

Name: Mansion01

Author: therektafire

Format: Boom

Build time: 2 hours, with another hour today for fixing the things mentioned above

Themes used: creepy mansion, no light levels above 160, mostly spectres and lost souls

Editor used: eureka

Tested in: Prboom Plus complevel 9 and 2, GZDoom

And here is the map itself

mansion01v1_1.zip

And here is a UV pacifist run in Prboom Plus

mansion01uvpacifist.zip

Screenshots (taken on Android GZDoom):

Screenshot_20171024-012057.png.ccfb904a27b75428926d2046b7bcb87f.png

Screenshot_20171024-012207.png.e584c4d376aaba7586347d37e9282852.png

Screenshot_20171024-012907.png.11f450ecf444fe2b3a192e1a1cb92229.png

Edit: screenshots

Edited by therektafire : Screenshots

Yeah about that wad -_- Here we go again. If I had known it wasn't going to be ready yesterday I would have added the midi I wanted to mine and updated the post I made above with that version. Maybe I will get to do that later today if he doesn't say anything about it, I am on my tablet right now and there are no wad editors for android sadly

New version of my map, now it is at v1.2 :) New changes:

*Added a midi (finally)

*Fixed non working monster teleports in cyberdemon room

*Tweaked teleport locations and cyberdemon start location to make the encounter more challenging (ie, so you cant just run right for the exit like you could in the last version...). Some more health and ammo (but only some hehe) has been given to compensate

*Changed height of starting hallway and the first room to make it look a little nicer

*More texture alignments fixed

*Added an idgames compliant txt file to the zip

After doing some more playthroughs on PC GZdoom and Prboom+ I personally recommend Prboom+ as the preferred port since the lighting doesn't really look right to me in GL and since that's the port I built the level around  (which probably explains why it looks better to me with it)

Here is the zip file

mansion01v1_2.zip

I'm not really sure how badly I've executed the compilation but here we go! Suitepee, don't play yet - it's not an over version as I still have some question to ask mappers and some things to do myself.

NOTICES AND MISSINGS

----------------------------

• Philnemba's map contains a Mancubus at the end - that Mancubus is a pity to punch in PrBoom. 
  • Maps put in beta order, textures included (I hope)
  • Text file!
  • What's missing - TITLEPIC and INTERPIC, and level names

Also I don't have much more time now. Next version will be up maybe even later today, with level names, TITLE and INTERpics.

eagles07_alpha.zip

IMPORTANT: PrBoom+ crashes upon loading a map - ZDoom works fine. I'll look into it.

Edited by NaZa

Heres a fix that replaces the Mancubus with 2 Barons.

ESS7Phil1.zip

Edited by Philnemba : reupload zip file due to wrong zip file -_-;

Oh well I thought about that but I didn't think it'd be a major problem. I'll rebuild the nodes for MAP04.

@dl_simc @NaZa

% lswad eagles07.wad
[...]
  477764        0 MAP04
  477764      430 THINGS
[...]
  596285     4298 BLOCKMAP
  600583       90 GL_MAP01 <--- should be GL_MAP04
  600673     2324 GL_VERT
[...]

Map04 GL nodes are labelled GL_MAP01 so they're being loaded on the wrong map. Rename the lump GL_MAP01 to GL_MAP04. Or you could just delete all the GL_* lumps and __EUREKA along with it, and build new nodes with something like zdbsp. I feel the time of glbsp's separate GL nodes format has passed, honestly.

Oh great, it's probably my map that's causing the crash especially since there is an __EUREKA lump in it since I'm probably the only person who even has to use it ;( It's strange though, it doesn't crash for me in Prboom+ even with the GL nodes... Not even sure why they are added in a boom format map in the first place anyway, maybe for glboom+? I guess that is something to ask @andrewj about since I know jack about node builders and format node requirements

edit: I just read about how the GL nodes are for MAP01 and you put it as MAP04, huh I guess that would explain it, I didn't think about that...

Edited by therektafire

@therektafire I also use Eureka but I turned off all the GL nodes options (go into Preferences, select the Nodes tab). I must grudgingly admit it's better than Yadex in many ways, but it still has so many annoyances I have to work around constantly, or just put up with. Edit: rant deleted, this isn't the place for it.

If map01 in the compiled wad doesn't crash for you in PrBoom+ that could be because you are using -complevel 9 for a Boom map -- GL nodes are ignored below prboom_2_compatibility (-complevel 13, I think).

5 minutes ago, RjY said:

If map01 in the compiled wad doesn't crash for you in PrBoom+ that could be because you are using -complevel 9 for a Boom map -- GL nodes are ignored below prboom_2_compatibility (-complevel 13, I think).

I wasn't talking about in the compiled wad, I was just talking about on it's own in testing. Also I forgot about how you can turn off GL nodes in the node settings, I was actually in there a couple of weeks ago trying to figure out why some of the walls in this other map I am working on just absorb gzdoom point lights and I thought it was a node issue, apparently it isn't though since I've tried various different node settings and none of them even make a dent in the issue. Changing the angle of the walls does though for some reason :/

Also I would have loved to read your rant. I love reading rants :)

Ok, here is a version of the map with no GL nodes or __EUREKA lump, it should work now hopefully

mansion01v1_2_NOGL.zip

edit: hmm, I noticed in the txt file of the alpha compilation you said my music is "yet to be known", but the midi I chose is in there. is it because I never said the name? Well, I actually don't know what the name is lol, all I know is it is called hall2.mid and I found it on a geocities midi archive with 51,000 songs :D They are only listed alphabetically, not by author or "real" name

Edited by therektafire

12 hours ago, NaZa said:

eagles07_alpha.zip

The exit of MAP03 does not work? - The W1 exit line is only 16 units apart from the impassable line behing the final lost souls.

Wow dl your map is pretty good, way better than mine anyway... I especially liked the lighting, it really added a lot to it imo. I like needhealths map too but it's apparent that I need to get better at doom because I keep dying on it even though it doesn't look that hard :(

5 hours ago, therektafire said:

<snibbity-snabb> > I like needhealths map too but it's apparent that I need to get better at doom because I keep dying on it even though it doesn't look that hard :(

Thanks ! is the music to loud ?

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Thanks ! is the music to loud ?

Nah it is the right volume. Mine might be a bit on the quiet side though...

Yeah, it seems like it is my sound card that does some voodoo magic with midis to keep them level or... something. :-/. Or at least it tries to because one midi turned out to be too loud to other people.

I know about the MAP03 exit problem but I hoped it's a source port thing. Next update will come today fixing a few problems and including level names and proper Title and Interpics. 

Using GZDoom. Played with the updated maps 2, 4, and 6.

-------
MAP01
-------
Exit switch - garg face is below floor level.

-------
MAP02
-------
Wall texture wrong on west outside wall corners. BRICK8 instead of ZIMMER4.

-------
MAP03
-------
Can't exit map. Linedefs next to the exit line are 16 units away and tagged impassable. Can't cross enough of exit to activate it.

-------
MAP04
-------
Map is fine. Music has one long high-pitched note which was giving me a headache. Had to use idmus to change it.

-------
MAP05
-------
Megasphere lift goes down to floor. Shows missing lower texture on higher sector next to it.

-------
MAP08
-------
Another high-pitched note. Another headache.

There is an invisible column outside the building on the north side. No idea what it's for, but you can see the top of it from the bedroom windows on the second floor, which means a HOM.

You can pass through the bars on the fireplace in the Red Key room.

Missing texture on back of crusher ceiling looking back from teleport.

-------

Edit: I guess I'll mention this here. I saw Eagles04 in newstuff at gamers.org. The date on the wad is 7/9. It doesn't include Walter's updated MAP05 which he posted on 7/10.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

3 hours ago, Spie812 said:

In The Spectrophotometer, you can easily hit the exit switch from the bottom.

Oh for Christ's sake, didn't think of that...

You know what, screw it. If HacX MAP16 can do it, I can do it as well.