Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Eagle Speedmapping Sessions 7 - All Alone in the Flame of Doubt (BETA COMPILAT)

I know i couldn't exit map 02 in prboom+ when I was on the wrong complevel on accident (2 instead of 9) so maybe it is a source port issue, in gzdoom it worked fine for me

I had an inkling I there was an error on map01. Unable to fix it on such a short notice. Sorry, I do it later this day. Could I also request someone to please record an lmp (possibly an fda) of map01 as I would like to see how people play it with the unusual gimmick that it has?

@NaZa Could I also request an name change on the map to It Followed Me Home. It sounds better and it dosen't directly copy a movie title as I initially thought.

You don't have to fix it - I'll do it for you. In about 12 hours or less the next update will be out, with level names and all the good stuff.

2 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

Could I also request someone to please record an lmp (possibly an fda) of map01 as I would like to see how people play it with the unusual gimmick that it has?

Sure here you go. I guess the unusual gimmick is that you pretty much only get rockets? Although it took me a while to realise that. "Where are all the shells? Why do I not have a chaingun yet" and so forth :). But it's still fairly straightforward, so I played it pretty much as I would play any map blind, except perhaps I stood back a bit more to avoid killing myself. The teleporting arachnotron wouldn't stop firing so I couldn't get a decent aim at it, and seemed to take more than usual damage likely because of this. As already noted the exit switch appears to be misaligned.

eagles07-map01-0703

Thanks ! As usual it me being bad at playing doom because you seemed to have almost a cake walk, while I struggled when play testing with invul, heh. Eventually I'll also learn.

8 hours ago, therektafire said:

i couldn't exit map 02 in prboom+ when I was on the wrong complevel on accident (2 instead of 9) so maybe it is a source port issue

I fear other maps in this project are unplayable with -complevel 2 too. (huh I got scared) ;-)

8 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Wall texture wrong on west outside wall corners.

Thanx, here's the a new fix:https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vkld0zpoknli7v/102c3.zip?dl=1 (MAP02 +D_STALKS)

I heard something about rockets and a speedmap so I took @NeedHealth's map for a spin on D-Touch after getting back from the daycare easrlier today, then my reply vanished so I didn't retype it til now; fun. Here is an FDA. Apologies for the uncoordinated virtual touchpad play, hehe. I killed myself once ;p Also apparently I never messed with defaults on this device, so I accidentally defaulted to HMP, but there doesn't appear to be much difference between the skill settings.

A nice quickie; I really liked the layout of this map and the height variation used. This layout had a lot of potential, especially for a speedmap, as it was nicely interwoven and interesting to explore. Of course being a speedmap there is only so much depth to be had, but this is also an area the map faltered. Some areas could totally have been expanded upon, like that final push to the rk, but again speedmap and I understand well the time restrictions. By a similar token, a couple traps would have fit well in this map. The only part of the layout i didn't like was the tiny maze, which admittedly wasn't too bad since it was tiny, but it didn't add much of anything to the gameplay or experience of playing it.

Detailing and texturing was nicely done, especially for a speedmap. Everything looked nice and of course the aesthetics of the map were aided greatly by the layout and height variation used, as those add detail of their own naturally to a map.

Combat was severely lacking, especially for the firepower given. I will note that I liked how monsters were generally placed and how the height variation present was used to foster pressuring the player from multiple angles/heights. I'll also note that this map perhaps would have been better without the reachable shotgunners.

Bulls/ls's+rockets=fun, heh, but something to note: only 15 of the 46 enemies are bulls and lost souls only make an appearance once :( so this map played out more like a "normal" map than one with restrictions on mobs.

All in all, fun map and great job! There was more I'm forgetting now but nothing critical; fun times!

Thanks,  @Fonze . I noticed an error with item spawns. So here's an updated map. I also added an other secret with some rocket ammo to compensate. @NaZa e- also fixed the exit switch texture.

https://ufile.io/o1i4x

This map:

I've tried to make a normal sized rl focused map before, but it became unwieldily. The small format of speed mapping made it much more wieldy so I added an rl on the spur of the moment really and designed the encounters around that.

Honestly in hindsight, I made some erorrs with this map but that is the beauty of speed mapping also a testament to that I can't lead my shots. Ever.

My idea with the maze was to provide different scenarios, therefore maze. I intentionally limed the presence of lost souls (which are not spawned on the easiest difficulty) because that could have gone out of hand quickly when you're waving a manpad around. The shotgunners (initially chaingunners but I changed my mind) was put in the map because I suspected people would complain even more without them. Nice of NaZa to put the wad at first slot.

Edited by NeedHealth

I beat your level finally @NeedHealth :D Pretty comfortably as well, it took a few tries though and I really took my time and was cautious (it took 12:34 to beat it) but I did finish it nonetheless, without saving too, and I uv maxed it. Overall good map, there is plenty of ammo and health to go around even for a relative noob like me, you just have to be careful and make sure you don't stupidly blow yourself up on pillars...

I didn't let you down, no more.

v2 out! All the individual level fixes were added (except the GLNODE and EUREKA one - I simply renamed it to GL_MAP04 than rebuilding the nodes), level names were added, interpic and titlepic are proper now, so yeah basically what the first version would've been!

Suitepee, this is the version you may play! :)

I hope y'all come back for more next month, and if there's more bugs, well, let me know!

eagles07_v2.zip

@NeedHealth's map: UV Max in 1:41 (-complevel 9)

nd7eagles-141.zip

(I used "nh_eagle07fix.wad". I didn't follow the thread closely, so I hope I didn't use the wrong one.)

Apparently, I suck at using Rocket Launcher :D  The map is very fun to run and I took like one hour to grind this run, but still, I think my run is far from good.

If you're talking about slowly go through the map, the map could be kind of boring because you're given strong firepower with not that many monsters. However, if talking about running through the map, the placements of rocket shots play a very important role. You have just enough rockets to deal with everything, so it's not a good idea to waste them, very nice resource limit. Plus, bonus point for Castlevania music.

What did you do to the Demon!? They won't die even they take a direct hit of rocket! (JK)

@NoisyVelvet Your demos goes out of sync when i test them with eagles07_v2.wad - at least noisy_eagles07_v7_m3.lmp does it and I suspect the rest will too. Castlevania is my go to music actually. Going to watch GarrettChan's demo now.

5 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

eagles07_v2.wad

Oh crap, I'm blind and dumb as hell... I didn't even notice there's already one with everything inside... but if you didn't change anything, probably it could be fine, or I can record it into a video.

Just now, NeedHealth said:

@GarrettChan That is okay, I think Fonze did something similar.

Also... I wanted to name the demo "nh", not "nd", but for some reason, this happened...

14 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

@NoisyVelvet Your demos goes out of sync when i test them with eagles07_v2.wad

Plays back in Prboom-plus 2.5.1.3 on both cl -1 and cl 9; I recorded in the prboom default of cl -1.  I had a death early on, so don't let that confuse you as a desync.  the demo should still find the exit properly.  If it still doesn't, then that's pretty weird, huh.  Let me know.

map 03 i had a lot of deaths on too

Ahaha. I played it with prboom-plus-2.5.1.4 which is the latest version as far as I know.

e- Still it would not work,

e 2 - the strange part I forgot to mention is that the first two demos plays back with prboom-plus-2.5.1.4.

e3 - Oh wait. I am stupid.  This is not a joke. Long day at work.

e4 - No I am not. It still won't work. Picture removed.

Edited by NeedHealth

lol don't sweat it.  i'm probably gonna sit on my old-n'-trusty 2.5.1.3 version for now, unless someone convinces me of some critical reason for why i need to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

lol don't sweat it.  i'm probably gonna sit on my old-n'-trusty 2.5.1.3 version for now, unless someone convinces me of some critical reason for why i need to upgrade.

To be honest, one of the selling point of PrBoom is that demos are not only for a particular reason, which GZDoom failed to do so. Therefore, demos from 2.5.1.3 should be totally fine on 2.5.1.4. BTW, the newest version is 2.5.1.5, which is in SDL2 (whatever it means...) and the mouse sensitivity is totally different from SDL, so it will screw your control setting. That's why I don't even consider updating it...

Blind runs for maps 02-08 (eagles07_v2.wad)

Spoiler

1. ( previously done, see https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1811721 )

2. Plasma gun map, quite a rarity. Missed essential switch in darkness, led to considerable wandering around. Missed megasphere. Should it be secret (giving 2 secrets) ? Plasma cutting through monsters always fun, so I liked it in the end.

3. Puzzle map with annoying lost souls and no health. Frustrating weapon placement. Forced pistol / unpowered fist use for almost entire map, then gives chainsaw when it's no longer useful. It's well-detailed, though, so there's that.

4. Huge numbers of wall lights which don't seem to penetrate far. This place must be full of smoke or something. Doors past the red need texture alignment. Three BFGs?? Oh boy here we go. Very cautiously played ending, realise I could have just run to the exit switch, but wanted to max, not die. Exit switch doesn't animate. Thanks Eureka for automatically applying the selected texture to both upper and lower walls!

5. Very weird map inside a dark box with no apparent way out. Died looking for one while spectres / lost souls annoyed me. On second time I triggered the exit somehow. Nice colours result from translucency + 32bpp :).

6. Punching map. I knew about the ending in advance ("replaced mancubus with two barons"). I had 100% kills in 1:49 then spent another minute looking for secret trigger, which turned out to be a simple punch wall. Repetitive and somewhat "noisy" texturing, maybe a bit too much copypaste?. Also the map is symmetrical which makes you do everything twice. Please try to avoid this :).

7. Argh! I died to the last monster (or my own splash damage). Eventually I decided not to bother retrying as it was pretty much complete. Yeah I know it wouldn't count in a competition but these are just throwaway blind runs. Leave me alone! The map itself is nicely done with clean texturing and geometry which fits it. I like the weapon shelves especially the SSG's which was made to fit into the surrounding wall texture. And the classic "having been shown door, retrieve key, then return through repopulated area" gameplay is well executed.

8. Finally a bzzrak map that makes some sense :). Tons of scripting e.g. requiem-style swinging doors, and small, highly detailed sector furniture rooms. Slow to get going though. It wasn't obvious you were meant to push on the wooden box to turn it into a staircase. Pressing buttons (that don't animate, or sound) in four identical bedrooms, with no monsters around. The chaingun room was fun though. Finally the main event: a horde of spectres and skulls, and a hyperactive crushing ceiling. A brief glimpse of Mr. Romero and you're done.

18 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

FWIW these all seemed to play correctly for me.  All maps finished, after a few deaths in some cases, except 05 which you clearly got fed up of. The Pit was unexpected :).

@RjY The switch doesn't animate? Is it a switch problem with textures, or my shoddy compiling skills?

Also you better prepare for Ironman, only three days left haha.

16 minutes ago, NaZa said:

@RjY The switch doesn't animate? Is it a switch problem with textures, or my shoddy compiling skills?

It's not your compilation, no. Line 465 has SW1BRCOM on both its upper and lower textures of its front side. The logic proceeds thusly and only animates the upper texture, which is of course invisible in the ceiling.

I immediately pointed at Eureka as I know @therektafire uses it and this is one of the fun things it likes to do. When you select a line and apply a texture to it, it applies it to both (or even sometimes all three) textures on the line's sides. This is all very well if the sectors move later, as missing textures won't suddenly appear because you forgot to set them. But it interferes with the way switch texture change. If you're not aware of this, you're very likely to be bitten.

I'll answer the other bit in the proper thread :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/185866497

My playthrough of all 8 maps on UV & pistol start. A few good maps, but to be honest this Eagle session was a bit disappointing for me. (granted there's been some drama around this edition, so I'm willing to take that into account for the "meh" overall quality.....this time around)

Expecting a bit more in Eagle 8.

4 hours ago, RjY said:

It's not your compilation, no. Line 465 has SW1BRCOM on both its upper and lower textures of its front side. The logic proceeds thusly and only animates the upper texture, which is of course invisible in the ceiling.

I immediately pointed at Eureka as I know @therektafire uses it and this is one of the fun things it likes to do. When you select a line and apply a texture to it, it applies it to both (or even sometimes all three) textures on the line's sides. This is all very well if the sectors move later, as missing textures won't suddenly appear because you forgot to set them. But it interferes with the way switch texture change. If you're not aware of this, you're very likely to be bitten.

I'll answer the other bit in the proper thread :)

Oh no, I didn't know about that ;( I thought it is a pretty nice feature for speedmapping because I know that when I want to apply height variations to an area I can just steal the upper and lower textures from the previous sector and come back to it later to change it if I need to and there at least won't be homs if I forget, but I didn't know about the whole "switches don't animate right if the upper and lower textures are the same" thing, what a nice "feature"... I would have changed the upper texture on the switch line if I had known about that but honestly a non animating exit switch would have been pretty low on the list of things I wanted to change about the map anyway, as I said I myself am not particularly proud of it myself to begin with but it's all I could do in the time I had since I'm not very good at speedmapping, yet.

7 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

My map was still not correctly named. Maybe should have spotted that while I had the chance. Heh.

I've noticed in in the stream itself. The CWILV is hilariously right, but the name in the map and the is are wrong. I'll fix that and upload to archives.