Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lingyan203

How to make lifts, doors, and teleporters in Doom Builder without 3D mode

Hi,

I'm trying to make a lift using Doom Builder but when I try to access 3D mode, I seem to have trouble accessing it as it does not show the visuals of my map when trying to make a lift, door, or teleporter. In the screenshot below, I'm trying to make a lift for my map but I can't seem to figure out how to make my lift or get it to work and since my map won't show up at all in 3D mode, how can I do this?

The lift I'm making is in the screenshot marked with the red X.

I hope anyone can give me some ideas on what to do since I'm having trouble getting my map to show up in 3D mode.

lift help.png

Give tag to lift first. Flip linedef where small corridor is. Give actions(first linedef which faces brown water and second linedef which leads to corridor) to your lift and assign tag(the same tag that you gave to lift). First linedef, I believe will be walkable one and second will go with pressing switch. If I'm wrong, someone will help you better. 

These are the steps involved in producing a basic spacebar-operated door:

1. Create appropriate sectors. Any shape will do for the door, but it will need two adjacent sectors for the doorway to connect between. Unless you particularly want a tall door, make sure that the sectors adjoining the door have ceilings no more than about 128 units from their floors; use recess sectors as necessary.
  2. Make sure that the lines bordering adjacent sectors have their right sides facing out from the door sector.
  3. Set the sector’s ceiling height to the same as its floor.
  4. Put appropriate door textures on the upper texture slots of the lines representing the faces of the door; clear their upper unpegged flag.
  5. Put appropriate textures on the side walls of the door sector; set their lower unpegged flag.
  6. Set the special attribute of each door face that you want a player to be able to activate to DR Door Open or whatever.

4 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

I tried to open the pdf file but it does not load at all.

Are you certain that the download was successful ? 2.86 MB

Did you save the pdf file to your harddrive, then used Acrobat Reader to open it ?

8 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Are you certain that the download was successful ? 2.86 MB

Did you save the pdf file to your harddrive, then used Acrobat Reader to open it ?

Oh I didn't. Thanks for pointing that out. I only tried to open it through the internet.

10 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Did you save the pdf file to your harddrive, then used Sumatra PDF to open it ?

FIFY. You're welcome.

Did you add the visual mode camera thing? Its thing 32000 and Doom builder needs it somewhere within the existing space for 3d mode to work properly

Why would you need to manually add that -_- isn't that something it should add on its own since, you know, that's what it's designed for...

At least by placing the thing manually, you can define the camera's position. If you rely on the automatic position, the camera can end up in the middle of void too far from any map geometry, and since you can't see anything in that case, you might be unable to find any map geometry by just flying around.

15 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

At least by placing the thing manually, you can define the camera's position. If you rely on the automatic position, the camera can end up in the middle of void too far from any map geometry, and since you can't see anything in that case, you might be unable to find any map geometry by just flying around.

Well why does it not start out at 0,0 or the position you left it when you last edited your map? Well maybe it does I guess since I've only used eureka so far since I can't use gzdb for the time being so I guess I wouldn't know but I do know eureka is very reliable when it comes to camera placement. It either places it slightly in front of the center of the map (when you just start a new map) or it remembers where the camera was when you last saved your map (I assume this position is stored in the __EUREKA lump or somewhere else inside the programs main folders, I haven't really taken the time to check) and restores that position when you open it back up again. I haven't had it do otherwise on me yet and I have opened quite a few maps (though all of them have been mine in all fairness). Having to worry about manually placing the camera to make sure it doesn't spawn in the wrong place seems kind of annoying especially for such an advanced editor as GZDB

9 minutes ago, therektafire said:

Well why does it not start out at 0,0 or the position you left it when you last edited your map?

It does, but that doesn't guarantee it will be good. Mappers can build their maps far from the 0,0 coordinate in the first place, or move whole chunks of map geometry by large distances away from the camera's last position.

In GZDoom Builder, go to Tools / Preferences / Controls and look at what key you have for Place Visual Mode Camera. I changed mine and don't remember the original. Use that key to easily place the camera where your cursor is, or to move it if you already have one.

16 hours ago, scifista42 said:

It does, but that doesn't guarantee it will be good. Mappers can build their maps far from the 0,0 coordinate in the first place, or move whole chunks of map geometry by large distances away from the camera's last position.

I never understood why some maps do this. Isn't it best practice to try to build your map around (0, 0)? That way, your map is always very close to being center in the void. I know at far enough distances from the origin, things get wonky. I wonder why some maps are like this. Even in Doom 64, MAP19 The Spiral is actually pretty far away from the origin.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

I know at far enough distances from the origin, things get wonky.

No they don't, and nowhere has anybody ever said they did. The only issue close to this is maps that have points greater than 32767 in distance from eachother, but as long as all map geometry is contained smaller than that, and the resulting map size doesn't break the blockmap limits (where applicable), where the map physically exists doesn't matter.

Doom's use of fixed point math specifically enables this, as the fractional unit stays the same no matter how far out you go, with the trade off being that the value can overflow the larger the calculation is (hence the physics distance problem as noted), as opposed to a floating point engine which doesn't overflow but larger/further distances have less precision (however even at Doom's range, you would need half-precision floats for that to be relevant).

The only reason for building the map closer to the center is that it allows you to build further out without having to shift your entire map.

Edited by Edward850

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

No they don't,

From P_GroupLines in p_setup.c:

// set the degenmobj_t to the middle of the bounding box
	sector->soundorg.x = (bbox[BOXRIGHT]+bbox[BOXLEFT])/2;
	sector->soundorg.y = (bbox[BOXTOP]+bbox[BOXBOTTOM])/2;

If the sector is too far from the origin, the sum of "bbox[BOXRIGHT]" and "bbox[BOXLEFT]" and/or the sum of "bbox[BOXTOP]" and "bbox[BOXBOTTOM]" can overflow, setting the center of the sector's bounding box to a wrong value. This map has experienced sound glitches because of it.

Edited by scifista42

Hmm, amusing. I do wonder how many ports use the vanilla sound sector handling, or atleast don't fix that problem (a stand alone sector that has no lines elsewhere shouldn't need to scan out that far to find the center). It appears to be the only affect sector sound handling, however, because there doesn't seem to be anything else that tries a ludicrous scan such as that.

(This issue also seems to be completely undocumented. I must do something about that.)

Edited by Edward850