Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric the Sandvich

If the Doom movie was independent, would it still succeed?

Let's say Doom never existed, and some guys come up with a movie script and call it Doom, would it be not so much of a failure?

pls linguinny dont kill me i luv ur prof pic

I wish I could see it animated in Akira style. I rarely see animated movies for adults now. Doom deserves more than one failed movie. That's what I think now.

Horror movies do super well. Low budget, high yield. With that said, Doom is action while Doom 3 is more horror.

Would that succeed? Horror would.

Action would die without say $100 million behind it. Chances are someone can do it cheaper, but I'm not sure people go to theaters to see action movies unless its big budget action movies. There are a hundred lower budget $20 million and under that are straight to digital services. Some are good, many are bland. Would anyone watch them?

3 hours ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

Let's say Doom never existed, and some guys come up with a movie script and call it Doom, would it be not so much of a failure?

pls linguinny dont kill me i luv ur prof pic

Thanks. Well thanks to the Rock and Bones too.

It should be a film with a silent protagonist, we as an audience would just soak in the atmosphere.

The low humming of the space station. The computers beeping away. Distant alarms and screams of agony, and maybe even the occasional gunshot can be heard. The demons growling around the corner. That way when there is action, it really clashes in your face as the movie goes from very low and moody to loud and violent. The violence should be quick too, over almost as quickly as it began, unless it's a bigger, badder demon or a huge horde.

If it was animated that'd be even better.

Yeah it should start really ordinarily with the Doomguy chilling in a rec room before being called down to Phobos with his buddies when they get a garbled message about there being 'something evil coming out of the gateway' and Deimos simply vanishing. But as the rest of the team goes inside one of the facilities ours truly is stationed to secure the perimeter, only to receive radio feedback of fighting and death. He has no reason to really talk for the rest of the film as everyone he knows is dead, and whatever he's up against only knows three things: kill, consume, corrupt. So he responds appropriately.

It should be a 30-40 minute version of that Doom 2016 commercial. That is about as much as you can get away with before the character not talking gets a bit weird.

The Movie Is Only Good If They Have Daisy The Bunny At One Point. Thats All If Fuckin Want In A Modern Doom Game Or Film Honestly.

I disagree with these posts. If Doom the game never happened, Doom the movie would have been incredible instead of just alright. Us fans of the games expected a certain story and plot, we got something more akin to Resident Evil.

4 hours ago, geo said:

Horror movies do super well. Low budget, high yield. With that said, Doom is action while Doom 3 is more horror.

Would that succeed? Horror would.

Action would die without say $100 million behind it. Chances are someone can do it cheaper, but I'm not sure people go to theaters to see action movies unless its big budget action movies. There are a hundred lower budget $20 million and under that are straight to digital services. Some are good, many are bland. Would anyone watch them?

c7NJRa2.gif

This is pretty much how I've always felt about the whole "action vs horror" debate within Doom.

In this regard, I think the Doom movie succeeded fairly well. Don't get me wrong, it's still a horrible movie, but it did combine action setpieces with gruesome scenes fairly well. Most of all, it needed actors that gave a damn about their performance, which I'm not sure an independent production would fix.

I did have tons of fun watching the Doom movie with a friend though.

Edited by Agentbromsnor

The Doom movie was bad because it was conceived by bean counters with a director who had no connection to the franchise. It's no surprise that this ended up a mess. It's probably for the same reason that most movies based on video games end up underwhelming. You got to need a director and a writer who have some personal investment in what they are trying to bring to the screen.

Overall, for me the most disappointing video game movie was Max Payne, though. This could have been great in the right hands - the tone of the game was perfect to make something truly remarkable - but again it ended up in the hands of studio drones who had nothing better to do than making a generic and lifeless action movie out of it.

Silent protagonist works best in games because the environment/other characters do the talking for the player, who is already doing the thinking and reacting to crowbar the headcrabs. It's almost better that Gordon Freeman never says anything, he just pushes the crystal into the reactor like a boss. If Romero, Hall and Carmack made a Doom movie it would be different than the one we have, but they are busy making Cybernetic Armadillos on kickstarter or something, I dunno about all that. A film based on a game and people will automatically try new stuff, it's a huge change in format along with everything else. Just ask Super Mario and his jump-boots, or Dr. Aki Ross in the Final Fantasy movie. They both failed at the box office and are critically seen as "bad movies". ^_^

If Doomguy was silent the whole time it would be like an art film, you would have to guess his motivation by his actions, which are obvious. Every fan of Doom knows what it's about, and it could be tough to turn something like that into feature-length, because action games don't need a deep storyline to be good, really. In Final Fight, Cody's girlfriend gets kidnapped, so Haggar the Mayor of the city rips his shirt off and starts suplexing gang thugs who try to stop him. They find the princess, taken by an evil wizard CEO dude with a crossbow, and punch him through a skyscraper window. Haggar rules. Some of the best parts of Metal Gear Solid series are the conversations you can hear on codec that hardly make sense to the rest of the game at all. I just feel safe here... inside the box. Stuff like that is optional maybe? It raises the question of 'sense of humor' in the game or movie.

The story we know he's a normal person, when the first versions started they were all playing cards and stuff. By the end of Doom 64 the player goes literally through hell and back, multiple times, and Doomguy would stay there to make sure no more demons show up. That's a badass soldier, but the story also talks about making it back and rebuilding earth, so he shows the qualities of someone who just wants to get back to normal before all hell broke loose as well.

A few key lines of dialogue for Doomguy could help maybe, a little goes a long way. It could make him seem even more human against the groaning/snarling mobs if he said something once in awhile. What would he say I wonder? Are there other any other characters besides the monsters? If Doom was IRL a lot of people in the character's place would lose their minds, get eaten right away, or jump over the nearest wall and run off to the misty hills. Who can say if the comic book's language was like that on purpose or not, if he's completely gone insane and the only thing left is getting better weapons and piling up the legions of the damned?

(DVD version - Chapter 14: Doomguy says words Part II) 

Oh hello there Imp, my spiky old fellow. Fancy meeting you here in the dark! I shall hereby name you from now on: King Charles Gregory Unicorn Houseboat Nebula the 3rd. I won't ask how you're doing, because you're an imp. Anyways, this evening I found a delightful new rocket launcher, and I was planning on painting this now useless base with a rainbow variety of exploding demon guts. You see, I stumbled upon a "hidden door" full of rockets for it and some of those little glowy armor helmet things. The considerate and thorough staff of the Union Aerospace Corporation placed them all there some time ago, and without a seam in the wallpaper. How kind! How clever! The things you can come across pressing every wall you come up to, it's really amazing. You wouldn't know much about that, it's a real pity that guard pathing was removed, just ask my friend BJ. Not a problem for me, though. Dreadfully sorry old chap for my choice of methods. I am an artist. Maybe you've heard of some of my berserking. Thanks for your patience, my warmest regards to all your friends. I've already met like 500 of them! Happy trails, then!

Imp: Hold on a second my name is Steve - I'm not like the othe...

<SFX department> computer panels with blinking lights, BOOM, gore spray etc.

draw curtain

Edited by reflex17

One thing I don't get is why movie adaptations of video games or most other forms of media never end up being truly faithful to the source material. Like the Max Payne example above, they changed so much and made it like a generic action movie with a toned down plot. Is there no studio and director that knows the game and also knows how to do movies? If not, someone needs to get started on that. A specific studio and director dedicated to making video game movie adaptations that is actually good at it and can capture the source material would be awesome... and we are not counting Uwe Boll. I mean someone else lol.

One thing I did like about Max Payne was the credits. The gun stuff they did was pretty cool and the music was awesome. It's rare for a movie's credits to be better than the actual movie.

They want to appeal to the mainstream masses aka casual moviegoers but the thing is they don't get the references to the game and the film just ends up being confusing or boring to them while the fans get pissed off at how changed and wrong everything is. It's all money at the end of the day for the executives.

The only decent game to film adaption was the first Silent Hill and even that didn't escape from getting fucked up on its sequel.

Doom movie would be a success, but on what level I can't really say. It was a good movie if you ask me, nice to watch it once at least.

Super Mario Bros, now THAT is a terrible movie. Even if Mario didn't exist at that time, it would still be ass.

I think what he was asking is if the Doom movie was made as it was (even the FPS scenes would be there), but there was no Doom game to base it on, how would the movie fare?

I'd say it would do moderately well in the theaters, maybe barely breaking even. Then it would end up on cable TV, where you might see it in the schedule a couple times a month, and you'd watch it at least once just to see how it was. Then it would be more or less forgotten.

So, basically the same as it is now, but without all the animosity towards it.

Take something that's widely seen as a faithful adaptation, like Lord of the Rings for example. Even hardcore fans like myself miss Tom Bombadil, but old P.J took that scene out of the movie because the Hobbits leave that place essentially with nothing that they didn't have before. It has meaning in the book, Bombadil's interaction with the Ring, but that sequence would seem like filler if you had no idea of the source material. Gotta keep it snappy, Weathertop then Rivendell. Lots of changes were made in LOTR, some good, some maybe not so good. The most vocal people of something like this will be the fans, and they will be the ones most upset when they 'mess with it'. I really like the LOTR movies but the Hobbit ones not so much.

If you look at Doom as a movie on it's own, as if the game never existed, it's no worse than any other sci fi action movie, really. Sci-fi is long associated with being campy and over-the-top. I know the first-person type of shot/sequence is used in a lot of films, like westerns and war pictures, but in this case thinking of it I would say it goes on too long. I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, just hard to imagine the idea when you're a fan of the source material. I heard people cheered in the theatres during the FPS part, so that's cool.

That movie is so shit it might as well not exist. The game movies are always bad excuse doesn't defend such an abomination. (Some like resident evil are still cheesy fun)

I would place both Doom and the Resident Evil movies on the same tier of 'cheesy factor'. I like both series a lot but in my mind, all films concerned go just a little bit too far away from the source. Survival horror is one of my favorite genres, and I like sci-fi, but I don't _really_ like Doom or any of the RE movies. Even though there's silly/cheesy elements in the games, crazy action and wanton bloodshed, the overall tone is grim and serious. It's hard to mention an adaptation that all fans agree on. Another one I can think of is Transformers movies, so much untapped material it's bewildering but they are generally seen as basically excuses for massive explosions all over the place and crazy special effects. If you like Godzilla type movies you might enjoy them though. Godzilla rules.