Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
386sx

GBA Doom vs SNES Doom (ARM7 vs SuperFX-2)

Hi,

what do you think about both versions? Were the GBA version an impressive result consdering the cpu running into it and comparing it to the SuperFX-2 version of Doom?

Thank

Played through GBA Doom at the time and it was a lot of fun. Never seriously played the SNES one.

From what I've seen of both versions I think i remember the GBA version being way better and more playable, there was also a port of Doom 2 for GBA that was even better.

GBA version is butchered with green blood and inferior music. Some SNES tracks actually sound pretty good, despite the lack of rotations for the enemies and no floor/ceiling textures.

SNES has rekt gameplay via totally rewritten codez and a lot of lag. But it has good faithful visuals and the music sounds very good. Slightly intoxicated drummer and the lack of flats notwithstanding.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Considering the GBA version actually uses the Doom engine, it is objectively superior to the SNES port if we're talking strictly about how faithful the gameplay is, level simplifications notwithstanding

Worth noting btw that GBA Doom 2 does not use the Doom engine (it uses a modified version of the Duke Nukem Advance engine)

The fact that a version of Doom could even run at all on the SNES was an impressive technical achievement, so it definitely wins in that regard.

However, the GBA version of Doom is far better. It has its own flaws like misplaced music and green blood, but it benefits in having a much more consistent framerate, none of those weird graphical glitches, better controls (imo), sprite rotations, etc.

Doom II GBA is an incredible port as well.

Edited by Spie812

I enjoyed GBA version because it had new limitations and new levels even after a decade.

6 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Only one of them has multiplayer, and that is the better version.

They both do. SNES was via a modem only though.

Never played GBA Doom, but I'd imagine that port to not be as horrendous as the SNES one.

While we're on the topic of SNES Doom, I downloaded an SNES emulator and fiddled around with corrupting SNES Doom once. And I came across a rather funny corruption. Imagine classic Doom, but you don't have any weapons, you're immune to any and all damage, and sometimes when you pick up an item, the ammo counter spazzes out.

I own SNES Doom. It's horrible

GBA on the other hand provided hours of fun AND THEN my first deathmatch experience with my little brother

I haven't played the GBA Doom port save for a few minutes just to test it out, but one thing i can say, that despite the horrible music, censored blood and the jag levels, the GBA doom it's playable, and that's something the SNES Doom it's barely capable

It'd be nice if gba doom or doom 2 appeared in the Nintendo Eshop.  I have fond memories of playing my brothers gba

4 hours ago, Jon said:

It'd be nice if gba doom or doom 2 appeared in the Nintendo Eshop.  I have fond memories of playing my brothers gba

At that point I'd rather the XBLA versions of Doom 1 and 2 so I can play it on my Switch

I remember a friend had the GBA port back in the day, something i found weird, but pretty cool anyway. Then i learned that the game was ported to basically every gadget that could run it. Oh boy, was it ported.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:01 PM, wheresthebeef said:

At that point I'd rather the XBLA versions of Doom 1 and 2 so I can play it on my Switch

Well yeah, for the Switch that'd make sense. I was thinking for the 3DS. But that could cope with the XBLA versions too, so yeah I guess. So long as it had multiplayer.

On 07/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, Jon said:

You could just play doom with Prboom on 3DS if you have the Homebrew Channel

It's not the best port but definitely better than it is on GBA.

Edited by Grimosaur

Yes jailbreaking is on my todo list (as is porting chocolate doom) but it's quite tricky with the new 3DS 

If the SNES didn't have that shitty input lag and lack of circle strafing, I'd call this almost even. I feel like the game could have been optimized to run that way and it's a shame because those are the 2 main factors holding it back. As it stands, GBA Doom has accurate gameplay despite the notably compromised visuals and music, making GBA the clear winner for me.

Doom 2 for the GBA has my vote. Despite the small changes and the annoying Armor Glitch, it has mostly intact levels and the complete cast, something you can't say for Doom 1 on GBA since it lacks the Cyberdemon/SpiderMastermind. In some ways, it's more impressive than the Ps1 version since it gets the Archvile and some levels (The Crusher, anyway, it exchanges the gimped heights on the Ps1 version by simply placing a giant pillar in the middle) are even more intact, not to mention it has all 32 levels (34 since 2 got cut in half).

I still have my Doom GBA cartridge. Haven't played it in a long while, but it's not a bad port. It has some unique features to account for the GBA's very dark screen, mainly you can turn on bright, static lighting. This actually makes many maps much easier since it reveals a lot of secrets, such as in E1M3. From what I've read, the port is itself a port of the Jaguar Doom, so it has the same geometry and limitations, mainly simplified maps and missing maps altogether. I recall the controls being decent enough, but weapon toggling was annoying since you had to hold both shoulder buttons and weapons would just cycle, there was no way to register ones like on a keyboard.

The main issue that bothered me with GBA Doom was all the music was shifted up a map. So, E1M1 played the E1M2 music, and so on. No idea why this occurs, and it makes some maps feel very out of place. The corpses also disappear after a while and have green blood. Some enemies are missing as well, such as spectres (replaced by standard demons).