Job

Super Map Faceoff: E2M2 versus E4M2 versus Map 24

E2M2 versus E4M2 versus Map 24  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Make your selection for greatest IWAD map of all time:

• E2M2
    • E4M2
    • Map 24
    • Other (this will definitely require an explanation)

Settle the age old feud, choose your favorite and explain why!

We have dozens of threads like this, so why not one more that will settle this matter once and for all?

E4M2

It looks great, a fun challenge to pistol start, one of the last maps made for Doom 1 and 2 so it employs a lot of experience Romero learned making maps up until that point, and I hear it was made in less than 8 hours.

I like E2M2 and E4M2. I can say both PC and PSX versions of these maps were good, but much of my liking for E4M2 stems only from the PSX version: More atmospheric, obviously, but it also used one of my favourite PSX tracks, no useless cyberdemon and if I remember rightly, no barons - it used knights instead.

All positive points IMO, but these were only gained in the conversion process.

Only considering the PSX version, E4M2 wins. Even if the opening view did cause a crash occasionally.

Only considering the PC version, E2M2 wins, quite easily.

Considering both versions, I have to hand it to E2M2.

As for MAP24, some really hate it, and I can see why though I don't really have anything against it myself. A contender alongside these other two though? Nah.

Also selecting 'other' is a real cop-out in a thread like this, heh.

6 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Other: Plutonia map 32 a.k.a. "Go 2 it". Needs no further explanation...

I think you are talking seriously, but I feel the title being sarcastic... Probably you should pick the least slaughter-ish map in this case ;P

For real: none of above

For sarcastic: E2M2

If it is for versions, it's a 50/50 choice......E4M2 for PC and E2M2 for PSX, forget map 24 but.....none of them is the greatest or "cratest" for me

E2M2 all day every day. All these boxes! What's this forklift simulator? When people ask "bro du u evn lft?" I shout out E2M2 mutcha fucka!

E4M2 separates the men from the boys and I'd rather have fun and not dodge pits.

E2M2 vs. E4M2? 

I like to play E4M2 more, personally, but I think E2M2 is still the best single, accessible representation of Doom. And if we get into the ways I think E4M2 is good, there are probably ten or so Plutonia levels I'd put above it for best iwad map.

E2M2 should have a separate subforum so I can ignore these silly topics more easily.

It's a tough call they're all good in different ways, but of the three I would choose Containment Facility.

E4M2 concept was fully realized in Doom 2 Map 29: The Living End, that gets my vote for sure.

I prefer E2M2, because if you know me, you guessed it... ATMOSPHERE!!! And it is a huge map, though it doesn't overstay its welcome. Every encounter is fun, plus the design of it is sweet.

E4M2 on the other hand is also great and it can be a fun challenge, but I feel like it was done better in the form of E4M6, since both maps play around with the idea of lava floors, but with E4M6, you needed to be more careful compared to E4M2.

I don't think I would ever go with MAP24 here, but as a map I feel it is ok, with its high verticality. But not that interesting, compared to the rest of the choices and I think I may had gotten bored when I played it (not sure on this).

23 minutes ago, Grain of Salt said:

What map is the best map ever?? Your options are, uh... *throws darts at a board* E1M9, E2M1 and E4M4. 

Well those are all just terrible. 

20 hours ago, bonnie said:

U S A

E 2 M 2

U S A

MrHHYtn.png

Why does your shot of E2M2 look like that? It's like the more I look at it the more wrong things I see in it.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Why does your shot of E2M2 look like that? It's like the more I look at it the more wrong things I see in it.

It's from my submission to the texture extravaganza project, so I only had a few textures I could use. I decided to make half of my map be an e2m2 tribute.

(psssssst!! here's a link to the map, in case you wanna play it and gimme feedback c:)

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=20170

i hope that link works

8 hours ago, Cipher said:

"Anti-Christ" > "The Final Frontier" > E4M6 > E4M2 > "The Living End"

Fite me.

ROUND 1. FIGHT. lol j/k.

Opinions don't easily win favor, but I didn't know that we were including expansion packs in the mix. I wanted to get them when they were released, but I never played them until many years later, so I look at all the maps considering both nostalgia factor and gameplay value to someone. The Plutonia maps you mentioned could be described, I feel, as having possible better enemy and weapon placement, but I am only trying to give my opinion on "greatest Doom map ever" which I would consider the original games only, and I would even hazard to include e4, but it is official and must be included . To me it seems more like an expansion and not a proper final, but that's another talk entirely. In my mind Doom 2 could've been a better game, but all of them can, and that's the way it goes as they say...

I really like Plutonia and TNT for what they are which is more Doom levels, but again I'm not considering them in my original post. I've only played them a few times, and I realize that e4 and the Doom 2 expansions were released when tons of user content was already out, and made more difficult overall as a result. I don't consider difficulty because there are options in the menu and each player is different so to me that is a different subject than "best map". Plutonia, from what I understand, was only made by two people in a short amount of time, so the maps you mention show many of the problems I have with the entire 32 levels.

Looking at the maps from Doom and Doom 2, I would still say map29, even if one disregards nostalgia. I like techbase theme in Doom the best, so that doesn't explain it either. The Living End is too large and complicated for a new player, for them I would say E1M1 or any other map. When talking about something like this, I also think of the authors of the maps and compare them with other levels in the set and the work they did. Everyone prefers small maps that are quick to complete, especially when playing 32 of them in a row. As a player I really like the idea of being in a place and going somewhere, even if it's abstract and bizarre.

Games like Ultima Underworld, Dark Forces, and maps like the living end are pretty much the reason I still make custom levels to this day, and essentially the reason I am here. That's the best part about it, so many to choose from, might be time to strap on the old boots and take a trip to Plutonia.

Oh sorry, what I meant to say was HADOUKEN!!!!!! ehehehe.