Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

Your Favorite & Least Favorite Albums Of 2017

As the title says. Post a list or even one album that stood out to you this year.

Bonus: I know not many people listen to new music, so you may add an album even if it's not from this year, just as long as you first heard it in 2017.

My Favorite Album of 2017:

aqvP3r2.jpg

My Least Favorite Album Of 2017:

Xzxr05D.jpg

(I loved you Lana, why did you do this to me)

Best: Ayreon - The Source

At this point it's become one of my all time favourites. Over 15 songs and not one dud, that's impressive.

Worst: Dragonforce - Reaching into Infinity.

Ashes of the Dawn is one of their best songs ever, a couple of other good songs to be found too, and then they tried doing thrash metal. LOL 

Honourable mention goes to The Forest Seasons by Wintersun. The closest I've come to actually liking melodeath or whatever subgenres it fits into. Winter was amazing.

I haven't sought out any albums I've disliked this year, so here are three that left a big impression on me!

Danger - 太鼓

Danger's long-awaited album debut is some amazing cinematic electronic music. I don't know if you'd call it synthwave or electro or what, but it's moody and it's delicious as heck.

Guided By Voices - How Do You Spell Heaven

GBV put out two albums this year, and they were both damn good. This is the shorter and punchier of the two, and it's packed with great tunes from front to back.

Neil Cicierega - Mouth Moods

I've put out some new music of my own this year too so I'm going to shamelessly self-promote here:

(Here's the rest of the EP on Bandcamp)

4 hours ago, Neurosis said:

you may add an album even if it's not from this year, just as long as you first heard it in 2017.

Awesome. A few favourites out of the stuff I first listened to this year (ordered by year of release from newest to oldest):

Spoiler

Wide Eyes - Paradoxica (2017)

Persefone - Aathma (2017)

Vektor - Terminal Redux (2016)

Earthside - A Dream In Static (2015)

Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails (2014)

White White Sisters - Something Wondrous. To be fair, I've heard it before but I think only this year I understood the appeal of it, whereas in the past I thought of it as a disappointment after two kickass EPs. In particular, "Lust for Love" in now definitely one of my favorite songs ever.

Also Chick Corea - Return to Forever. I've heard the second song in "City of Doom" before, but finally decided to check out the rest and was very glad I did. Especially the first track is just wonderful, very energetic and with cool changes of pace.

I'm gonna have to go with this one:

Like every year this one always has really cool metal music that I always enjoy. It was hard for me to pick a true favorite though since there's so many good ones.

It's forum about Doom? Right? OK, it must be top of doom metal(mostly sludge-doom / stoner-doom) albums!

My current top 5:

Top 3 best stoner/doom bands with female vocal:

Also must be mentioned:

11 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Danger's long-awaited album debut is some amazing cinematic electronic music.

It's a very varied and interesting album yet it didn't blow me away as much as his 4 ealier EP's.

My favorite release of 2017

i did a search through my '2017' downloaded albums and these are the ones that ive listened to multiple times and still like:

Alfa Mist - Antiphon / hip-hop, jazz, soul.

BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION / hip-hop. i havent listened to Saturation 2 yet.

Brother Ali - All The Beauty In This Whole Life / hip-hop. Conscious rap, listen to this if you feel hip-hop is all guns/cars/women.

Corbin - Mourn / R&B, electro, synth-pop. Worth it for ICE BOY alone

Denzel Curry - 13 / hip-hop. Pretty hardcore/industrial sounding (except for Zeltron 6 Billion).

Jay-Z - 4:44 / hip-hop - unfortunately hard to find on Youtube or Spotify, so here's one of the songs from the album.

Wiley - Godfather / UK hip-hop / grime. Both on top of their game in this song.

Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice / hip-hop. Not conscious at all!

Gucci Mane - Droptopwop / hip-hop. Neither is this!

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic / thrash

Tour De Menage - Gotham The Good/ The Bad / instrumental hip-hop. Pretty much can't go wrong with Tour de Menage.

I don't have a disliked album for this year, only one I've really liked though:

qotsa_deluxe_cover_copy.jpg

Current favorite is a tie between Celldweller's "Offworld" and Leprous's "Malina".

No least favorite as of yet.

Great releases this year (yeah, mostly all metal)

Sepultura - Machine Messiah (another great album by the "new" line-up)

Obituary - s/t (Obituary are better now than in their "classic" days)

Order - Lex Amentiæ (death/black metal from ex-members of Mayhem, Cadaver, etc)

3teeth - Shutdown.exe (LA industrial, classic sounding but with a strong identity)

Atrox - Monocle (Avant-garde metal with great vocals & an industrial edge)

Not so exited about

Dead Cross - s/t (Debut from another Mike Patton/Dave Lombardo supergroup. Missed the mark for me)

I followed a lot of metal like Megadeth, Slayer, Danzig. I liked Gravediggaz and Jeru the Damaja. I wish I had time to listen to more rap.

Rather than listen to a bunch of old song that I don't remember anyway, I just kind of moved towards techno so far this year. You know, on a top 10 album.

Least favorite was some Alternative that was all lovey dovey and didn't really agree with me too much. I might have been into it a decade ago, not now, though.

i think this is the only album ive listened to that came out this year, i might be wrong though

a0734144769_10.jpg

remo drive - greatest hits

pretty good if you like emo/powerpop

^ love Lazerhawk!

My fav album so far this year (a couple I'm interested in hit before 2018), is a cover album by Electric Six called You're Welcome. They also have a solid new album, but I dig a good cover. Plus here they're covering one of my favorite bands.

Not sure about my least favorite album, but my favorite from 2017 would be DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar.

Though one 2017 album i didnt expect to like but actually enjoyed was Divide by Ed Sheeran.

Strange how after buying a few Metal albums I ended up liking the non-metal albums more.

Least favorite albums don't really get a lot of replay for me. So they end up forgotten. The only one that comes to mind is whatever back to back Nine Inch Nails 6 song EPs. Maybe they'll grow on me, but I listened to each maybe 6 times and they didn't grow on me like other music did. Maybe Kesha or Lady GaGa's are worse or more bland. I think I listened to Lady GaGa's 2x and Kesha's 3 - 4 and didn't really find anything redeeming, but Kesha's albums are weird where they grow on me for being "so bad they're good."

As for "best" in 2017... nothing is jumping out at me. The only thing recently I can think of is Marilyn Manson's new album and that's because its recent. It too grew on me after about 3x. According to Google I've played it 8 times.

I'm still busy listening to Otep's "Generation Doom" and Deftones "Saturday Night Wrist."

Edited by geo