Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rellik

Hey Fodders...

Since I can't seem to find your email address I'll just post this here:

I'm putting together a DOOM Deathmatch mod review site and I was wondering what your thoughts of it were. Think it'll last? Think anyone will care?

http://www.teamdeim.com/discharge

You seem to be the local authority when it comes to deathmatching so I am hoping you could help out with your opinions of different engines, connectors, and maybe even some levels? I'm hoping with a good level / mod review site it'll encourage more people to make more levels / mods and in turn get more people to try playing over the net too.

I'm hoping this site will become kind of like the LvL site for Quake3. The place to go for level reviews, with reviews by anyone who wants to send one in. With a comment thread on each review people will be able to voice their own opinions of the mod and the original review so you can get multiple opinions on a level. This might get mappers more attention too so that there is a public reward for their hard work.

heh, I might get rid of the sections for tips on making DM / Bot levels but the layout is pretty much done now. I'd appreciate any help / advice you could offer. Thanks!

Jim (Rellik)

Guess this goes for any of you deathmatching gurus, whaddya think? Oh, and I might see about getting this site hosted here at DoomWorld since it's the place where everyone goes. I'm also looking for people to run it as I don't really want to but I will if I have too. Hell, I'm just looking for a good place to get my stuff reviewed. :) I'm really hoping that the community will help out alot sending in reviews and suggesting levels for review.

Hell if there's enough support and people willing to do it there could be a section for single player levels as well. I think the most important part is that the site be independent of any one person so the site can keep going long after the original people leave. That's another reason to try to get hosted here. So it'll have a home for a long time to come.

Bah, I dunno. Maybe it's just dumb. What do you guys think?

It does sound like a good idea, only detractor I can see is, AndrewB reviews wads here. Perhaps though for a deathmatch review, 'coz AndrewB is rubbish at reviewing Deathmatch levels ( Sosueme wad being a case in point) :), Biffy could be the way to go, Send him , or Raider perhaps, a wad, they/he could host it on one of the ZDaemon servers and players could send in comments here ?

Rellik said:

I'm hoping this site will become kind of like the LvL site for Quake3. The place to go for level reviews, with reviews by anyone who wants to send one in. With a comment thread on each review people will be able to voice their own opinions of the mod and the original review so you can get multiple opinions on a level. This might get mappers more attention too so that there is a public reward for their hard work.

lol, this is amazing! However, you aren't the first one who came up with that thought, and you aren't the only doomer who gets jealous of that quake3 lvl review site. I have come up with that idea about 10 months ago, but I never had the skills to develop a site like that due to my lack of knowledge to web designing. Well, if you are interested and currently looking for a host for the site or something, contact me, 'cuz I have an account that is available for you, as long as you know how to code a site like .:LvL. The current url to this site is http://zdaemon.com~doomcon.

btw, I had also registeredd a irc channel for it quite a long time, it's at irc.openprojects.net #doomcon, I think I have told fodders back in the old days for awhile, but never really thought to turn to his help. Instead, I talked with Nightfang and Raider, or deathzor.

Thanks guys, yeah I was thinking about getting hosting here just cuz it's, well, DoomWorld. :) Instant street credibility. I can host it on my own domain (teamdeim.com) but it wouldn't get near the traffic. I just want to set up a site that can be passed from person to person. No sense in having another review site that'll die when the owner loses interest or run out of the free time needed to keep it updated. Well, I'll host it on my site for now and if it ever gets big enough, maybe it'll move.

So I've tried to make a thorough but easy template for others to do reviews and send them to me. What do you think of it?

http://www.teamdeim.com/discharge/review_template.html

Did I forget anything?

And would you guys be interested in writing up a review or two for the various engines I have listed? Know anyone that would? I haven't hardly played them so I don't think I'd be qualified to write one. I really want to make the site good before I make a general announcement cuz as you know first impressions can last a long time. There's enough lame and half-assed DOOM sites out there already. No need for another one. :)

Hmmm, it seems that some of the sites linked here aren't hosted on the DOOMWORLD domain. Does that mean that I could host it on my server but get it linked here?

Do you wish this site will only accept deathmatch maps or all types of Doom maps? In my humble opinion, I'd suggest Doomworld should host a site that maintains the progress of all reviews of the incomings and be more organized, rather than having one simple-looking page with a couple of screenshots, along with some descriptions for the maps.

Well, if things can work out for both of us, you may use the logo I have designed on my page, or even the name for it as well. Since id oftware won't be hosting an event named as Doomcon in the near future, at least I don't think so. No offense, but I thought those graphics on the current design of your page look a bit weird :)
However, I agree with particular features preferly to be added on, in order to archieve and satisfy people who would like to voice their own opinions through commenting and voting.

Map reviewers?....um, I have written a couple of deathmatch map reviews and posted here, look into history through the search engine if you intend to. Generally, I'm more intrigued in doing deathmatch maps review, namely oldschool maps, or as long as it runs compatibly under Zdoom 1.22. Perhaps, you may find some people who will be interested in doing this on #zdaemon at irc.openprojects.net or Zdaemon's forums. I might be interested in doing it, too, but I'll have to see how this will work out for me. However, I'm sure there's more people out there are far better that they can write better reviews than me. About the section of distributing deathmatch tips, I think you may keep it around for awhile first. Besides, tips cannot be judged to be discovered and concluded instantly. It needs to take time to let people to play out the level and develop their thoughts on consequences of the gameplay.

Do you wish this site will only accept deathmatch maps or all types of Doom maps? In my humble opinion, I'd suggest Doomworld should host a site that maintains the progress of all reviews of the incomings and be more organized, rather than having one simple-looking page with a couple of screenshots, along with some descriptions for the maps.

If I could find people who wanted to do the single player reviews, I'd make a single player section but I'm personally only interested in the Multiplayer stuff. heh, yeah it'd be nice if someone wanted to make a site where you could look for specific kinds of wads but I don't know anything more than basic HTML. If someone wanted to create a site like that I'd gladly host it and help maintain it. I'm only doing this cuz it seems like something the community could use.

No offense, but I thought those graphics on the current design of your page look a bit weird :)

Heh, they aren't great but I've only spent 2 days working on the site so graphics have been an afterthought. I don't worry about graphics until I know the site isn't going straight into the recycle bin. ;)

However, I agree with particular features preferly to be added on, in order to archieve and satisfy people who would like to voice their own opinions through commenting and voting.

Yeah, I think it'd be great to get multiple reviews on a level. It would be quite easy for people to add their own opinion too.

BBG, 999cop, the site is 100% open to reviews written by anyone who wants to submit one. I think the key to a site surviving and thriving would be that it lives independently of any one person. If things went perfectly you'd only need a person to add the reviews to the site and the community would take care of the rest. Then the site would die only when the community got tired of it. :)

So know of anyone who'd be willing to make the site searchable and sortable by wad type?

I'm glad to hear that we both are fallen in the same line of interest that we both are multiplaying fellows. A better way to survive from this to raise its popularity is to spread this news to those people who actually ARE playing Doom deathmatches nowadays, namely Zdaemon. I think most of the doomworlders are simply SP fans rather than MP fans. If you wish to make the site efficient, commenting and voting features would most likely be needed. Therefore, you know what this means, basic html codes won't do it. As you can see, .:LvL is operating with .asp codes and something more extraordinary. If you'd ever have a clue about what it is, that is. The current Doomcon logo I've made I spent a few weeks to work on. It seems pretty good to me for such a psp newbie like me.

it would be great to see dm map review website. :)
If you get one up, what about review some of the older maps (dwango, judas23. dweller, etc...)

Torn