Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Merry Widow

Do you find Doom a relaxing game?

Personally, I find Doom very relaxing.So much so, I almost fall asleep while playing.Your opinion if you like?And yes this a dumb thread, but I'm curious.No one has to reply if they don't want to.Also, have a pleasant day!

Yeah, quite relaxing.

Especially when playing slaughtermaps, that's like morphine to me. To be exact, when other people are playing slaughermaps and I'm watching the long uv-max demos. I once legitimately fell asleep. :]

Yes, I'm intentionally trying to derail this into a slaughtermap shitfest, problem?

Great way to de-tense and unwind after a stressful day, that's for sure. I've never fallen asleep playing it though (just gotten extremely bored with whatever levelset I happen to be playing at the time).

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Relaxing? nope....

Why not? You didn't write much explanation.

Yeah, as for me, when I load good map(or megawad) and see how things were made, it makes me comfortable and I forget some stuff and let my head rest while I mindlessly kill demons and search stuff to heal myself.

When playing normally it's not that relaxing perhaps because I'm trying to survive and I don't use saves, so it's always somewhat stressful (in a pleasant way). But when I'm grinding a speedrun where you have to keep trying the same thing for hours and just wait for it to work, it can be almost like meditation.

I think any game you start to learn the ins and outs of and play a lot can start to become comfort games. You start to develop a flow and it all just kinda glides along nicely. I can think of a number of games like that for me.

The only time this isn't true I think is with online MP games, but maybe I'm just competitive.

7 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Why not? You didn't write much explanation.

Yeah, as for me, when I load good map(or megawad) and see how things were made, it makes me comfortable and I forget some stuff and let my head rest while I mindlessly kill demons and search stuff to heal myself.

Not relaxing in the term of the game itself as a genre. As a game to spend time ...yes, it'll help you to delete some stress but you'll end up a bit tired of focusing much of the gameplay like reflexes, fast-paced gameplay flow and difficulty (depending of which skill you chose). That's why I don't find it relaxing.

Doom definitely keeps me up way later than I would normally go to bed. But yeah it definitely takes me away from the frustrations of mundane life and routines.

It's stressful more than relaxing, since I play without saves and usually play levels that will challenge me, but that's how I like video-games in the first place. Should be a challenge rather than something you can sleepwalk through.

Stressful but fun.

There is something cathartic about Doom.

For me, especially, seeing monsters infighting always brings joy. There's something so fun about watching demons destroy one another, that cannot be expressed adequately in words.

There have been times late at night when I nodded off while playing Doom. It is not that Doom put me to sleep, but that it failed to keep me awake when I was exhausted.

When I would still drink, over 3 years ago, I would sometimes play a game of Doom while lightly intoxicated. I still have enough of my motor control in place to play decently, but my inhibitions dulled enough to take risks and not really care if I died. There was something zen about dodging melee attacks in the crowds or weaving through streams of fireball from across a courtyard. 

It's relaxing when it's not a slaughter map, specifically maps that require puzzle solving or seeking keys :)

If it's doom in general, then yes, it's relaxing as fuck

But if we're talking about wads or mods, well, it depends of it:
If we're talkin about wads with slaughter maps then no, it's frustrating and requieres a lot of concentration to complete a single one imo 

If wads contains a lot of amazing visuals (Like Ancient aliens, valiant, Hell on earth starter pack, or reevilution) then yes, they are cool

if we're talking abou mods, then there's only onethat satisfied all my needs and that is russian overkill, which you can destroy EVERYTHING in just seconds and well that's just....well, glorious :')

IDK if it's relaxing, but when I load up Doom, another form of intelligence seems wakes up inside of me and does the Dooming for me. And I'm the passenger who sees a blur of movement and yet I know everything/nothing that's going on.

Interestingly, I'm reading a book about the brain, and it's gotten me thinking about really crazy shit like everyone is born with 2 minds but one is in control of the other (the hemispheres).

I also find myself asking questions like "when did I pick up this keycard" a lot after I open a seemingly-locked door or flick a locked switch.

Is it relaxing? I guess I do zone out a bit, if you consider that to be relaxing.

Playing deathmatch is like having an angel's sweet, soothing voice right in my earholes

Doom, as long as its doing its job, is never relaxing for me. It is a hell of a way to destress though. I had to think about this question as in a way doom relaxes me, but gets me going at the same time.

I do not think a game where you have to kill all kinds of demons with a shotgun can be considered relaxing. But, I do not consider it a game too stressful, it is good enough to alleviate anguish and have a great time, especially trying to overcome challenges set by ourselves is incredible and very funny.

You fall asleep? Well that sounds pretty weird, if I play a game that makes me sleep, I should get another one, the point of the games is to have fun and awaken sensations in us, joy or emotion, perhaps sadness or reflection. In this case, Doom is extreme fun and nostalgia. Relaxing? Umm, no, pleasant? Oh yeah.

Shotgun.gif

19 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Yeah, quite relaxing.

Especially when playing slaughtermaps, that's like morphine to me. To be exact, when other people are playing slaughermaps and I'm watching the long uv-max demos. I once legitimately fell asleep. :]

Yes, I'm intentionally trying to derail this into a slaughtermap shitfest, problem?

Nope, I have no problem.I would call it a sense of humor.:-)

The only parts of Doom that have ever made me feel bored enough to be "relaxed" is the first episode, and that's mainly because I have played it to death.