Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

DOOM source port on iOS when?

Now that files is a thing and we can download things off the browser, could we see a potential version of GZDoom or ZDoom for the Apple products?

If you want to run some random software on your phone that may not be liked by corporate goons for whatever reason, better steer clear of Apple products.

Some of the limitations Apple imposes are just ridiculous, and will kill lots of hobbyist software right out of the gate.

I have to deal with their red tape enough on my job and there's no way I'll ever support them voluntarily.

50 minutes ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

Now that files is a thing and we can download things off the browser

> 2017

> a phone introduces the option of downloading things off the browser

> the option that every every every every feature phone since 2001 had

> ...people legitimately ask why can't a complex game engine be ported to it

lol dump that inferior crap and get an actual phone

Exactly. You guys' debate is hot and all, but I guess you are missing the point of the thread.

@AbsorbedHatch I don't think there is one; as Graf Zahl said, Apple does not allow a very wide gamma of software in their phones, which is why we don't have iDoom, for example. However, nowadays has never been really free days, so if you don't own a PC, your influence in software is limited.

6 hours ago, AbsorbedHatch said:

I asked if there's the possibility of a DOOM source port for iOS, not what your favorite phone was.

If there's a possibility for a DOOM source-port for iOS? -- Yes, there are lots of possibilities. The thing is that it will NEVER go through the Apple Store, and jailbreak isn't always a possibility these days.

Has everyone forgotten about that development version of GZDoom on iOS, from beloko AKA creator of D-Touch?

Youtube video of Brutal Doom running on iOS GZDoom, by beloko

Plus there are other ways to download apps, directly from Safari too. Requires a script though, which will prompt you with a message like "www.lolz.com wants to install NotAppstore" (well the message is something like that).
An example would be this page

There are alternatives to the AppStore too, like TutuApp, HiPstore, etc. (they kinda promote hacked, pirated, Chinese apps :P)

Also, with the right app, you can download stuff from Safari via the correct app. Eg with the TEFView app (available on AppStore), I can visit vgmusic and download MIDI files within Safari onto my iPhone's local storage. For example, I visit www.musicz.com/dat_midi.mid, and then it'll lead me to a page that displays it filename, size and a "Open in TEFView" option. I press it and it gets downloaded and accessible via TEFview, no online connection needed.

I just need to find a similar technique for MP3 files, rather than using cloud services to download the MP3's to my device.

I miss using iFile and other cool stuff on my iPhone 3GS. I wish Android phones were as reliable as iPhones and don't become obsolete within a year or doesn't come from the factory full of stupid apps.

Edited by Voros

Some stupid useless replies on this thread.

On topic: there has been Gameception, a port of Doom, probably PrBoom, which lets you load PWADs. Unfortunately it cannot run on modern iOS versions. The author stopped maintaining it.

Practically the only reason it fell behind was author's inactivity, and not Apple policies. He took care to avoid trademarks and assets, with big thanks to Freedoom.

A big problem with Apple's policies is "no downloading of executable code". Which obviously poses a problem for ZDoom-based ports.

Overall it's more a matter of principle. I strongly disagree with Apple's policies and feel no desire to support them in any way.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

A big problem with Apple's policies is "no downloading of executable code". Which obviously poses a problem for ZDoom-based ports.

Haha, this is where Boom with maps with voodoo dolls can thrive.

I wouldn't expect them to consider ACS a problem. But ZScript is an entirely different story...

No one said AppStore is the only the option here. Nor did anyone say we have follow Apple's policies. I already mentioned earlier that you can install apps from other sources without jailbreak.

I want to see GZDoom appear on iOS, since the iDevice doesn't slow down at all, unlike Android devices.

Retroarch works in both iOS and Android and it has a Doom core based on prBoom.

Thought it's not very comfortable to configure it for playing pwads. It's a pity there isn't a more decent libretro Doom core.

On 10/13/2017 at 5:38 PM, Voros said:

I want to see GZDoom appear on iOS, since the iDevice doesn't slow down at all, unlike Android devices.

Easy there... Have you used a Pixel?

I was pretty content with Gameception on iOS. It was pretty easy to load iwads and pwads into it. I really wish the author would update it, playing vanilla and boom compatible pwads when stuck waiting on something was a nice distraction.

There’s used to be a $0.99 app called gameception that let you play wads that could be played with BooM or PrBooM (with some other exceptions) but it isn’t on the App Store anymore. I still have the app and like 20 wads on my old iPhone 4 so at least I can play alien vendetta or the Simpsons doom wherever. Unless you happen to have a time machine and can travel back a couple years to download the app on your old iPhone 4 or 5, I don’t think there are any ports on the App Store or online, other than DooM itself.

(I just saw the post right above this one but I agree gameception was pretty solid, but I doubt the creator will ever update it for newer iOS.)

On 4/20/2018 at 2:12 PM, R4L said:

Easy there... Have you used a Pixel?

This post aged pretty well, considering I now have one (the Pixel 2 XL to be exact).