• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

Worst Doom music track

Lets see 

Doom2

D_RUNNIN but only the midi form.

Map02: is that supposed to be a demon killing music? (Btw someone should use the salsa part as an intermission music).

Doom: Okay I like the e1m8 track but I heard it to much 

Hmmm....for Doom, I don't see the worst track except Facing the Spider which is my least favorite in the wad and you can't listen much anyway because you need one or two BFG shots saved for the mastermind anyway. However, in Doom 2, I'll say and always say D_RUNNIN....sorry but I can't stand that track...

Oh....and I also hate some tracks in TNT like the ones used in Human BBQ and Metal.

I would say "Running from Evil", but I don't really think it's particularly bad - only I've heard it so many times that it's gotten pretty boring in my ears. I honestly can't even name any tracks I do find bad.

Oddly, I never seem to get tired of Running from Evil, and I think most of the hatred towards it is because they always hear this upon loading up Doom 2. I mean, it does have a nice and catchy tune.

Andrew Hulshult's Running from Evil remake from the IDKFA soundtrack probably made me like Running from Evil even more. All the other remakes floating around Youtube and other form of video and audio (eg MIDIs) just don't capture me as they seem too typical, unsurprising, etc.

I like the track on Human BBQ. It's neat and interesting if you ask me. Same goes for Doom 2's map02 music.

23 minutes ago, Voros said:

I like the track on Human BBQ. It's neat and interesting if you ask me. Same goes for Doom 2's map02 music.

For Human BBQ, why there's 2 versions of that track? I heard one version that has percussion and it's very energetic while the other version doesn't have percussion and sounds boring. Also, I like D_STALKS (maps 02, 11 and 17) too.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Even D_STALKS (map02) is good considering it's straight up gentle, easy-listening Salsa music - unfitting for Doom in every possible way, but still a good piece of music.

Fun fact, that is one of my favourite classic Doom MIDIs, and I still have it in my playlist after all these years.

20 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

For Human BBQ, why there's 2 versions of that track? I heard one version that has percussion and it's very energetic while the other version doesn't have percussion and sounds boring. Also, I like D_STALKS (maps 02, 11 and 17) too.

The vanilla Doom.exe (and Doom95) aren't capable of playing notes above a certain volume and unfortunately, many notes in that song are above the volume cap. This is why the percussion and bass are missing completely when played on certain source ports and whatnot - they're still in the music file itself but the ports simply ignore those notes.

This puzzled me big time as a kid. When I first got to Human BBQ I thought my sound card had glitched or something and hung on a sustained note, sort of like what happens at the end of The Inmost Dens. I heard the correct, non-messed up version of Human BBQ many many years later and thought it was an awesome remix, I was blown away to learn that it was supposed to sound that way all along.

I still find it strange that they didn't edit the midi to make it quieter, it's like not a single person playtested with the music on or something. I think this messes with a few TNT tracks but only minorly, on Human BBQ it really does a good job of butchering the song completely.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This puzzled me big time as a kid. When I first got to Human BBQ I thought my sound card had glitched or something and hung on a sustained note, sort of like what happens at the end of The Inmost Dens. I heard the correct, non-messed up version of Human BBQ many many years later and thought it was an awesome remix, I was blown away to learn that it was supposed to sound that way all along.

Yep, same.

Interesting. A lot of Freedoom's music was replaced post-v0.10 because they would stop playing notes at some point for some weird reason, in Chocolate Doom.

Would like to see the "boring" version of Human BBQ's track. Anybody something like a Youtube video? Or if you can tell me exactly which instruments don't play, then I can just listen to the MIDI without said instruments.

I don't much care for D_E2M4.  Maybe if they decided to use Duke Nukem 2's E1L3.  It's basically the same song about halfway in, just sped up.

I was stunned that I couldn't find a single rip of the glitched version, so I went ahead and recorded it for your listening "pleasure"

The MIDI sounds like it's dying for the first few seconds.. Almost reminds me of the agonizing sound of an NES or Famicom when it hangs or something. Without the context given by the drums and bassline it all sounds pretty damn weird. I actually kinda got a headache just recording this from that goddamn droning note right at the beginning.

Worst tracks ever: MAP08 and MAP04. I will take this opportunity to nominate the worst track of Duke 3D as well, this being E3L3.

Map08? I love how those distortion guitars work together to create this echoey effect! I like the funky beat too.

@Memfis Man, that's just crazy to me. I suppose its only for the nostalgia, but maybe it actually sounds better to some. That droning tone is too much for my eardrums!

Sorta reminds me of how some people prefer the butchered up version of this Mark Klem tune (Give In With Pleasure) from brit10.wad. I'm guessing the conversion to MUS was done wrong resulting in scrambled notes and desynced instrument tracks:

correct version

glitched version

Unlike with Human BBQ, I can sorta get it with this one, I still prefer the original though. The glitched version is very busy and it sorta bothers me not hearing MIDIs as the composer intended due to a mere bug

I'm guessing the conversion to MUS was done wrong resulting in scrambled notes and desynced instrument tracks

I'm more interested in how is that possible. What limitations were present in the code that the MIDI broke them? At least I'm assuming that's the case.

Midi2Mus is the program mappers used to put custom music into Doom wads in the early era, but it doesn't seems to be as good as whatever ID developed in-house to convert their midis to mus format. I've noticed that, only on particular midis, it can change instruments, remove pitch bends or vibrato, desync different tracks from each other and other strange side effects that potentially ruin or at least alter a midi. ID clearly didn't have this issue as pitch bends are retained, but a lot of old Doom maps have music that's been damaged somehow through mus conversion.

As a digression, does anyone know if there was another variant of Midi2Mus out there that didn't mess up songs during conversion? I know it would be a sin to do a mus conversion these days but I'm curious if everyone relied on that one program alone to get custom music into Doom in earlier times. Team TNT clearly had access to something better than Midi2Mus as the final Doom music is choc full of pitch bends and such

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Midi2Mus is the program mappers used to put custom music into Doom wads in the early era, but it doesn't seems to be as good as whatever ID developed in-house to convert their midis to mus format. I've noticed that, only on particular midis, it can change instruments, remove pitch bends or vibrato, desync different tracks from each other and other strange side effects that potentially ruin or at least alter a midi

Some of batman doom tracks sound really glitched when ripped from the wad, guess the MUS conversion is to blame

Spoiler

Also a lot of people really dislike "Facing the spider", i kinda like it since it grew on me, but i gotta admit that the first time i heard it wasn't in the game, but instead i heard it when i was looking into a random jokewad WAD, and at first i tought it was a midi parody of heavy metal sound and it made me chuckle.... then i found out later it was from the game and it was based on an actual heavy metal riff

Even the MUS2MID program has problems when converting a MUS file to MID. The notes tend to be a mess, the instruments just don't sound the same as the original MIDI (if you ask me). Sometimes the instruments are mistaken too.

This is Freedoom's map24's MIDI converted from MUS. and this is Freedoom's map24's original MIDI file. Compare the notes in a program that can display MIDI files, like FL Studio, Anvil Studio, or something. You'll see one has notes clearly visible and properly laid out and the other is a hot mess.

Plus, Doom supports the MID and MUS formats, so I'm not sure why they bothered converting (surely, saving disk space wasn't the only reason).

I feel sorry for the people in the Doom95 era though.

I kinda like how in Kama Sutra some converted songs have a slower tempo than intended. In particular, Heretic's E1M9 sounds a bit more epic that way I think. Slow drums are badass.

Damn, I just love all tracks, I really dont think I dislike one single track, they all have something special for me now.

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Eris, man, that remix is simply amazing! Really put a fresh spin on an old favorite and was admittedly much less harsh on the ol' earholes. I was disappointed when it ended, that's how I know it was excellent. I'll be checking out more Lorcan remixes, great first impression.

The Doom II tracks that appeared in TNT were also remixed, and those are also very good, particularly DOOM and Message from the Archvile, from memory. American Pie sure grew some balls too. Lorcan also did a very nice Legion of the Lost, but I still think there's no better version of that than this masterpiece.

The worst one, after all, would be Untitled (E2M9 and E3M1 and Map16 of Plutonia) because it is just so annoying and there is clapping all over the song, and the clapping is not even drums, it is now made out of instruments, and the song around just sounds like riding a horse when I am not even riding a horse!

In The Dark (MAP06/MAP12/MAP24) for Doom 2. All I remember about the track is that you hear the same dull notes for over 6 minutes until suddenly there is a change in the melody but only for about 15 seconds until you go back hearing the same dull notes again. Probably doesn't help that the track is played in MAP24: The Chasm, a map that isn't all that great to look at or play.

The worst one is actually Facing The Spider. It being used for Plutonia Map12 (which btw is a super awesome map) doesn't help it either, and only harms the map's reputation.

The best track would be Message for the Archvile, because it has cool sounds and a cool pitch drop, but unfourtunately it has only the rhythm for the first 75 seconds.

I always loved muting a few instruments here and there in a MIDI and listening to the result, for shits and giggles. For example, Freedoom's map15 MIDI without the distortion guitar, makes all the other instruments much more distinguishable. In fact, almost all of Blueworrior's MIDIs (map15's MIDI is composed by him. You can find all off his tracks on idgames' music section and in Freedoom too) have 1 or more distortion guitars that basically hides the instruments.