Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vorpal

90's Mark Klem Album + Data Preservation Help Request

@Tolwyn has teased us about an upcoming project, which reminded me of an old Klem album I had obtained when mp3.com functioned like a modern day bandcamp/soundcloud by allowing independent artists to publish their music (physically, in this case). I harassed David who harassed Mark to allow the sharing of this piece of Doom history.

The album is Silicon Sanctuary, one of several that Mark sold on the mp3.com storefront (sadly I don't have them). It doesn't seem to exist at all on the interwebs (and by that I mean I quit looking after page 2 of a google search), there are songs from Memento Mori mainly I think, a handful of the songs ARE on youtube but youtube's re-encoding was very unfriendly, and then there's some other very cool compositions not heard anywhere else AFAIK.

Tolwyn, did you also have physical commercial media made? I could have sworn you did, or had some kind of Tol-Klem Smash Hits compilation out there?

I would like to have as pristine a copy available, but I ran in to some problems that maybe Actually Smart people could help with. I tried to create a bitstream copy, but the resulting image was recognized as corrupted by all mounting methods / software that I threw at it. This was true of 3 different images by 3 different software (dd, brasero, ftk - the "broken" one by ftk is in the torrent). So as a compromise I decided to do a FLAC conversion but the final track was troublesome in all ripping software EXCEPT Windows Media Player (lol?) which can only do mp3. So track 16 is provided as mp3 only for now. Track 16 indeed has an issue where most CD stereos / PC media software will try to play the track for 7m 27sec resulting in several minutes of silence after it ends, as it's really 4m 55sec. I suspect this is not physical damage to the disc, but some stupid shit mp3.com did when creating it. Or maybe it's too sophisticated for the software I'm using, as it's an "Orange Book" disc like Hexen, with both data (including mp3.com's own mp3 conversion in a subfolder) AND the actual CD audio tracks. Or just some metadata on track 16 is corrupted, causing these issues? Would love some assistance in preserving this!

disc photo - the jewelcase/art is long lost

torrent

I'll seed this for a couple weeks. Report issues here as I've never hosted a torrent before. Don't download the 600MB .iso file unless you want to troubleshoot an apparently broken image.

Oh yeah, we embarassingly did that in like 1999 or something. Mp3 would "burn" a CD for you if anyone bought it.

I have it around somewhere, but I wouldn't pollute your ears listening to it!

Use Audiograbber or CDEX to rip the CD into WAV. Then use WinLame or zip it up and send to me through Google Drive and I can encode into FLAC.

Orange Book format is simply re-encoded PCM wavforms. CDEX or Audiograbber will rip it into WAV.

Oh. I'm getting the torrent, now.

I have the download. What am I looking for?

The ISO image is damaged, that's all I can tell you.

I have the CD Audio rip and cd Data; be great if you could rip the CD into PCM Audio (16bit, 44.1Khz).

Have you tried poweriso to image the CD?

But here's the rub. If Mark uploaded these to mp3.com in 128kbps; that's the best you're going to get even from the CD; as it would have been transcoded from MP3 into PCM and then to CD (orangebook).

@markklem do you have the original PCM wav files from this?

Ok. Mark doesn't.

I dunno on this one.

The CD was burned by transcoding whatever he uploaded to MP3.com; if that was 128kbps stereo mp3, then that's about as good as it gets.

So, if I farted in a can and recorded it at 8bit, 64kbps mono, the MP3.com would have transcoded that into 44.1Hz, 16bit, stereo, but it will still sound like shit... (er... fart).

If it were me, I'd just do what you've done. Rip to FLAC or back to MP3 as you've done with tracks 1-16. FLAC is your better bet as re-encoding them in a lossy format... you're going to lose some detail.

I understand track 16 might be a loss and you have to just have it mp3...

@JDoyle has uploaded some stuff running the midis through a Roland SC. And I have ALL of Mark's original MIDIs (at least as far as I know).

Maybe we should go that route.

I slapped the tunes together and fed it to the Mysterious and Vengeful youtube transcoding gods. Hopefully I didn't screw up the song order or other dumb stuff:

If anyone out there has the original album art, it would be nice to complete this album's "collection".

edit: updated yt url, track titles are baked in to the video now, so if you favorited the old video you may want to do it to the new one instead (in case I delete the old-n-busted one)

Edited by Vorpal