Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How about those ceilings?

I was mapping the other day and noticed I had a rather empty looking room, so I added some support beams and pillars to give the area more dimension. I then realized I tend to this whenever the floor sectors aren't very busy. Sometimes I also imply piping and cables, or add ceiling windows. Now I find myself wondering how classic Doom maps handled ceiling details. What about you, for the mappers out there?

Ceilings are like floors, except you don't have to worry about players bumping into and complaining about your every bad design decision ;D

29 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Ceilings are like floors, except you don't have to worry about players bumping into and complaining about your every bad design decision ;D

Unless your map is Gothic99.... or flying monsters can't navigate them for shit.

This reminded me of how I just got a pretty cool (imo) idea for a Wolfenstein/doom 2 crossover mapset today (which I guess you can technically consider as my "second wad" even though the first one isn't done yet lol) and, as usually happens with me when I think of an idea for something that I think is pretty cool, I started working on it. I already have quite a bit of progress on the first map which is basically your typical flat nazi base with pretty lighting and some secrets :) The part of this that is relevant is that It has the light bulbs lowered a bit in comparison to the rest of the ceiling to make them look more like *actual* lights and not just flat textures. Speaking of, man, trying to find a good light texture for a Wolfenstein style map is unsurprisingly kind of a pain especially in the vanilla textures.

Also don't worry about the maps just being a bunch of boring flat rectangles, the goal is to start it off simple then make each map more complex as they go along, like the first one is more or less just flat ordinary wolfenstein (will definitely need to find a wolf enemy wad so that I can use more than just ss...), the next one will have a few more doom features like using switches for doors and maybe an outside area or two, the next one might have some discrete height variation, then the next one might have non-orthogonal room angles, at some point you will start getting monsters from the doom bestiary, etc. How would you guys like a massive corrupted nazi hell base map? :D

Now actually just talking about the main subject though, you should use the ceiling for things ceilings are made for lol, like lights and hanging places for signs and origins of natural structures that grow from ceilings like stalagmites. Overly flat ceilings look just as boring as overly flat floors imo. But of course you don't want to go too overboard on it just like you dont want to make overly bumpy floors, although the negative side effects of a too-bumpy ceiling are a lot more negligible like Fonze said