Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whatup876

Intermission screen maps for FreeDoom: Phase 1

You know how the first Doom game had each episode (except Thy Flesh Consumed) showcasing a different area, indicating where the levels took place and which ones were completed or you're about to play?

Has there even been plans for something similar to FreeDoom?

I heard (If i'm getting it right) the trick for Doom: The Way id Did's intermission was just replacing the map, with a new one, but the areas are still in the same spots, since you can't mess around with the blood spots, apparently.

Maybe i might be wrong about this, but i believe it can be difficult.

Doom_-_DOS_-_Intermission.png

It would look cooler but it would take more time and just be an all around pain in the ass to do. Unless we have an Intermission screen like the ones in chex quest with an animated character or something in that matter. That could be lesser of a pain in the ass i don't know.

And yes I found a few intermission maps of freedoom phase 1 only if you play with mod freedoom delta, i dont know if that is a addon or something but yes it looks cool

I've been also thinking if something like this could be included in an update too...

I mean, granted it's more or less just a gimmick of the first DOOM game, but having it in Freedoom would not only show off it's capabilities, but actually add to the lore.

The Easy part would be replacing the assets with new art obviously, but it would be a good chance to see how that part of the engine ticks so that it would be easier for others to implement their own custom "intermission geographies".

Could come useful as an additional "ease-of-use" update in the level editors as well.

But that's just my opinion. This thread might help:

Edited by SecularSteve

On 1/31/2024 at 3:43 AM, SecularSteve said:

I've been also thinking if something like this could be included in an update too...

I mean, granted it's more or less just a gimmick of the first DOOM game, but having it in Freedoom would not only show off it's capabilities, but actually add to the lore.

The Easy part would be replacing the assets with new art obviously, but it would be a good chance to see how that part of the engine ticks so that it would be easier for others to implement their own custom "intermission geographies".

Could come useful as an additional "ease-of-use" update in the level editors as well.

But that's just my opinion. This thread might help:

The thing is, the intermission screens in doom 1 are animated (a few blinkers work) now if not taken that into question, yes it would be a great idea to add a intermission screen since it's a nice little gimmick that adds more to the lore, the the devs do it, I guess not because freedoom has lot of other stuff that needs to be improved.