Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kloki38

WolfenDoom: Coming of the Storm (Cancelled, DEMO download))

WolfenDoom: Coming of the Storm is a fan WIP remake of the classic Wolfenstein 3D mod Coming of the Storm that was released in 2004 by WSJ. This mod became famous not only for a good level design, but also for various modifications of the Wolf3D engine, such as storm lighting,rain drops, ambient sound effects and directional sprites. Since COTS is a Wolf3D based mod with modified engine, it can only be played in MS-DOS emulators like Dosbox. That limits the game´s resolution, speed and playability. A lot of people also have hard times with Dosbox configuration and new ones also with the command prompt.

For these reason I have decided to remake this mod in GZDoom. GZDoom offers better resolution, mouse look, more comfortable keyboard settings and it doesn´t have an annoying command prompt.

This mod will include remakes of all original 18 levels plus 3 brand new created for multiplayer. Of course all 18 maps will be multiplayer compatible as well (for DM and Coop modes).

New features:

• 18 original maps + 3 new for MP
  • original COTS graphic and sound effects
  • 8 weapons - knife, pistol, smg, chaingun, rifle...
  • Dynamic lighting for certain objects - lamps, furnaces, torches...
  • Item score system from Mac port of Wolfenstein 3D
  • Multiplayer
  • Storm
  • Ambient sound effects

MODDB page : http://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfendoom-coming-of-the-storm

DEMO : http://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfendoom-coming-of-the-storm/downloads

Video :

Some screenshots :

Screenshot_Doom_20171008_194352.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171008_210025.png

Screenshot_Doom_20171008_194313.png

Edited by Kloki38 : demo, cancelled 2 years ago

I am working on two wads atm and one of them happens to be wolf3d themed as well though they are original maps :D Do you know of any wolf3d texture and enemy wads I could use? I'd really like more than the ss soldier and the textures that come with vanilla doom 2

I love Wolfenstein 3D and all of the Wolf TCs that I've played so this is pretty good news to me. I really like the lighting in your screenshots, especially the bits on the walls. It's a small change but it makes for a really nice overall effect. I'm looking forward to trying this and seeing the lighting and storm effects in action.

4 hours ago, therektafire said:

I am working on two wads atm and one of them happens to be wolf3d themed as well though they are original maps :D Do you know of any wolf3d texture and enemy wads I could use? I'd really like more than the ss soldier and the textures that come with vanilla doom 2

Check out Laz Rojas´s WolfenDoom projects (Treasure Hunt, Operation Artic Wolf/Rheingold, original Wolfendoom) - they have a lot of wolfenstein 3D-like textures and sprites. If you want some genuine W3D graphic, then download a W3D editor like Floedit II, which can open the original WL6/SOD files and export graphic, sounds etc. Here is also a non-active W3D sprite resource page called "Monkee´s image world". Some of the sprite sets look like cr@p, but for the most part they are decent : http://mmimageworld.dugtrio17.com/

Grab DOSBox 0.74, open the .conf file for it inside the folder and look for and set CPU to dynamic and cycles to max. Set overlay to openglnb also since it uses native color settings instead of something potentially too dark, also make sure aspect ratio is set to true so the screen isn't stretched/fat. Grab COTS, drop the executable onto DOSBox's executable, and boom it should be running well enough. The levels with the textured ceilings (skies) and rain might run a bit choppy because of DOS emulation but the majority of the game will run fine. You should be able to run any DOS-only Wolf mod this way.

Otherwise, this looks potentially interesting if a bit jarring. Authenticity may be hard to replicate without knowing how Wolf3D's damage output system works as well as player momentum. I mean sure it's WolfenDoom, not ECWolf, but still it doesn't hurt to try to emulate since this is obviously going to be faithful to the original level design and TC features.

Is that a do-it.wad reference?

[EDIT] Looks like the post in question, indeed, did-it.

Edited by Xaser

I actually really do love coming of the storm. I made a thread about it on skulltag forums when it was new. Its amazing.

35 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I actually really do love coming of the storm. I made a thread about it on skulltag forums when it was new. Its amazing.

It's a classic, as is all WSJ's sets, it's pretty much what sold me on the idea of Wolf modding in the first place. Even though I have a deep appreciation for the original game, many custom scenarios are very cool.

Me too, I think what's so captivating about this mod is that when I play it, I associate wolf3D with having an almost comedic style, with bright colors and all the enemies shouting a final catch phrase before they die in grainy low quality soundfx.

Coming Of The Storm is still Wolf3D, but towards the middle and the end, the mod gets very dark. I don't mean like low lighting dark. I mean in a creepypasta done right kind of way. The gore, the skulls, the dead bodies, long empty hallways, its really ominous sometimes.

I can't think of a good word for it, but its like those TV shows where the writing is so good that what seems like a funny sitcom-esque series really develops their characters and you can really profoundly connect with their feelings later on. And the people you despised in season 1 become your favorite characters in season 6. Wolf3D is the perfect starting point for that kind of "oh this is just comic mischief" transition to "whoa theres something seriously fucked up here"

if this is a one-to-one recreation, I think everyone should play this at least once in their life. There are few game mods that I give this much fluff to.

If you enjoy darker, more disturbing or serious themed mods and total conversions I have several recommendations:

Absence (SDL version available)
Orb of Dilaaria (DOS only)
Castle Totenkopf SDL Edition (remake of the original mod)
The False Spear SDL Edition (remake of the original mod)
Operation Eisenfaust: Origins (SDL only) [also has a sequel that I've yet to play called Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy]
Spear Resurrection (SDL version available with new levels)
Spear: End of Destiny (DOS only)
Wolfendoom (SDL version available)
Operation Serpent (ECWolf only) [and really anything else Woolie Wool/Executor has made if you just enjoy Wolf3D in general]
You may also wish to keep a lookout for an upcoming mod called Beyond the Grave as I am.

Maybe it would be good to change the player's view height to 32, like it normally is in wolf3d? I've seen some ECWolf mods raise the view height too, but it always just ends up looking weird. Just like when you fight the SS guys in Doom and despite being the tallest guards in wolf3d they all look like midgets.

Thank you all for the support :)

Here is an update video with gameplay of the 6th level:

On 10/18/2017 at 9:30 AM, Scypek2 said:

Maybe it would be good to change the player's view height to 32, like it normally is in wolf3d? I've seen some ECWolf mods raise the view height too, but it always just ends up looking weird. Just like when you fight the SS guys in Doom and despite being the tallest guards in wolf3d they all look like midgets.

Gotta vouch for this, judging by the latest video I think the view height should be adjusted accordingly.

The machine gun could also be a little faster.

13 hours ago, Kloki38 said:

Thank you all for the support :)

Here is an update video with gameplay of the 6th level:

Looks pretty neat. Are those background screams supposed to be from prisoners? Kind of unsettling but in a good way since they give the game a darker tone.

You could also make the dropped machineguns spawn at the bottom wolf-style instead of the fancy zdoom-style dropping... or find some other way to work around that weird flying opaque shadow visual.

I see you removed the sprite-based floor light instead of having both that and the fancy dynamic lights, that's nice.

that fog needs to be darker.

1:1:1 in RGB value. Right now it ruining the seam between the sky and the grass texture.

Also its best that you edit out the light pixels on the floor for the lamps if you are going to use Dynamics Lights.

EDIT: Just saw the new video and it fixed the lights.

Hope to see more of this. I love Wolfenstien TCs

Did you get permission for this? I once emailed WSJ about porting this mod to ECWolf and he said no because he had his own plans to redo COTS.

16 hours ago, Voltcom9 said:

I'm really enjoying this so far! This has been a blast to play through so far!

I do have a question however though, I've reached the gatehouse and have killed 33 of the 35 enemies on the map (I'm playing on the 2nd difficulty setting.)

I've explored all the accessible rooms including that lethal red brick room filled with crates. Somehow I've missed both keys but I think I've seen the entire map which can be accessed without either key. Care to offer any tips or insight into something I've clearly missed?

Thanks for the feedback and report.  I looked into that map and found out that I accidentally marked the silver key to appear only in the 3rd and 4th difficulty settings. Gonna patch it right now.  You can spawn the key by typing summon bluecard in the console.