Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

Worst map in The Plutonia Experiment

Well of Souls disappoints me the most. I just don't see what's supposed to be intuitive about the invisible bridge. That doesn't stop anyone from figuring it out, but it took me a few deaths to realize. Rest of the map is fine; I've always liked the odd staircase. Plutonia hits a nice minimum map quality despite some annoying bits in maps here and there.

My personal least favorite is Map 29. I don't care for city maps at all, and one this complicated, especially for a 100% Kills, Items, and Secrets player, makes the map a chore for me to play through.

Overall, I think the worst map is Map 16. Even though that one can be kinda forgiven because it's right after Go 2 It or The Twilight, which are IMO Plutonia's hardest maps (that and Caged). Even though Map 16's design isn't that good either. If we ignore 16 because of that, worst map overall is Bunker. You can SO easily miss kills in that map it's not even funny. Sewers is also bad IMO because it's just filled with nothing. There is barely any enemies for a map that large. Also too many rockets in 1 map. Makes the map a piece of cake. Also, the archvile at the end. If you don't one shot him when he spawns with the BFG it's almost impossible to kill him without taking damage.

I can recall MAP15 and MAP29 being pretty annoying off the top of my head.

For me it's going to be The Sewers, not necessarily because it's bad, but rather because it simply is an uninteresting level and definitely not as architecturally beautiful like most of Plutonia. But hey, sewers I guess.

Map28 the sewers is p boring and I'd vote it the worst plutonia map. Good old standard design... sewers map = draw 100 tunnels, much fun. If map28 is fun and 'exploratory' you might as well load up some of Tom Hall's etch a sketch doodles er I mean maps and go 'immerse' yourself in that world.

Pretty sad how even the contenders for plutonia's worst map are better than like all of tnt.wad on average. hmm haha

Someone should make a modern version of Hunted, where monsters can pursue you much better, so you really feel hunted.

I love the invisible bridge from Well of Souls; reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

If there's a level that I dislike, it's MAP32. I guess the E3M9 joke didn't work this time for me.

MAP25. I always thought that level was as if the halves of two potential levels were awkwardly glued together. The aesthetics before and after the hell noble room never really matched all that well.

If there’s any other thing I dislike about Plutonia, it’s the invisible bridges. I found their presentation in MAP02 to be lacklustre and confusing. MAP03 in co-op presents the concept better with a Cyberdemon standing on it. On top of that, invisible bridges were never used in any of the later maps, making their usage come off as contrived.

@printz How about MAP11 of Plutonia 2? Or maybe E1M8 of Double Impact?

Three particular maps stand out as worst for me.

Map 3 - Aztec

The curve corridors screwed with my movement. Cramped curved corridors were always my DooM pet peeve. The entire map has poor level design, especially with the torch invisible bridge.

Map 28 - The Sewers

Looooong elevator, a secret with six super shotguns & plasma rifles (The hell???), last area with the arch-vile has no hiding area & an odd 'invisible' BFG inside the yellow key area.

The overall map has uninteresting & ugly design to itself.

Map 29 - Odyssey of Noises

While it has nice concept of the map, placing monsters so further away from you when you can't even hit them (behind Cyberdemon), is one of the worst things a mapper can do, especially for the completionists.

I don't really like Plutonia but The Twilight (MAP15 slot) in particular really slotted me one, I really don't like it and was "The Twilight" of nothing but my god damn patience.

What's wrong with a secret with multiple weapons? Nothing wrong with that, it's just more ammo, just different.

1 hour ago, Cynical said:

28 or 31.  Cyberden sucks, I'm surprised I'm not seeing it mentioned more here.

31 can at least become fun with a mod that has powerful cyberdemons (unless you go full snipe thru the windows (coward)). 28 sees less of an improvement like that.

Having recently replayed Plutonia, I don't get the hate for MAP10 and MAP16. Decent maps, any one of them. For me, Plutonia dips in quality only in its last third, when it starts resembling more TNT with maps like Impossible Mission (is it MAP22?) or Bunker (MAP26?). I don't care for the Sewers map either, and Odyssey of Noises, while it beats Doom ][ maps like Downtown, is not that fun for me. And MAP25, the one that starts in the ugly pool of blood with hitscanners perched around it. The best maps in the final act are the Living End pastiches.

Before the final act, there are only two maps which I wouldn't look forward to replaying, and they are MAP11 - Hunted and MAP31 - Cyberden. Hunted gets a pass for being experimental for its time, it's only aged not-that-well, and with Cyberden much of the irritation comes from the invisible archviles.

I've never been a big fan of Abattoire (Map09) mostly because of the final room. The door behind you closes permanently when entering the room, and the pits in the room are inescapable. The previous room contains a Soulsphere that you can no longer obtain once you enter the final room, so you can't go back and use it to heal if you get banged up in the final room (there are two Soulspheres in the map, so you could enter the final area with 200% health without picking up the second Soulsphere). There's no real safe way to hide from the monsters in the final room either, as you will be exposed to something regardless of your location, whether it be Imps, Mancubi, or Revenants sniping at you from opposite corners of the room, and you can't remain on one spot on the circular walkway for too long as there is always guaranteed to be a Revenant missile on your trail.

Temple of Darkness. If feels like outtakes from other maps stapled together, plus that part when you get the red key, teleport back only to have a firing squad of chaingunners behind you. I know Plutonia is known for its traps, but come on.

Temple of Darkness, The Combat is so Cheap and not fun, especially in the Green Room with the Hell Knight, also the Platforming in the flesh area is so Janky that I keep missing the platform.. easily one of the Worst.. Dishonorable Mention goes to Anti Christ , Abattoire because of the Death Pit at the end.. and Odyssey of Noises..

Odyssey of Noises is a Hot Mess of a map, it's way more confusing than Downtown and I spent ten Minutes trying to Lower the Red Bar after grabbing the Red Key the first time I played this map, but then I found out that the Red Bars lowers after Grabbing the Red Key.. also the Cyberdemon placement was very bad.. he can snipe you from a far without you even noticing and kill you in the cheapest of ways.. also getting 100% kills is a pain in the ass and not very fun..

Probably one of the first 10 maps in the set. I'm not sure which one.

I'm one of those folks that actually likes levels like Tombstone, Bunker, and Sewers. But then again, I also like swaths of TNT Evilution, so my preferences lean more towards aesthetics and exploration over combat and traps.

Wouldn't be able to tell. Unlike TNT, Plutonia's maps are largely unmemorable and they just kinda meld into one big blob. Right now I'm finding it really hard to name a single map other than the ones mentioned in this thread.