Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaido

How to Use Whacked4 to replace monsters via DEHACKED?

Just like in scythe 2 , anybody knows? like I want to replace an afrit with another monster like the nazi. Can anyone give me a step by step guide? or just give me another thread or website that has answers

As far as I know there aren't any concrete tutorials around and wads that utilize DeHackEd in unique ways aren't all that plentiful. Personally I learnt by peering over existing DeHackEd patches like the one from Strain and experimenting randomly in WhackEd2. There's the odd reference lying around like this, but as far as I know the best way to get a good grip of DeHackEd is by inspection and experimentation.

Hm, maybe I should make YouTube tutorials on DeHackEd...

I will look too. I want add one custom monster on my wad but this should work on boom format - also dehack.txt. Sad that boom dont read decorate.txt... :((((( or is possible?

28 minutes ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

I will look too. I want add one custom monster on my wad but this should work on boom format - also dehack.txt. Sad that boom dont read decorate.txt... :((((( or is possible?

Not possible . Only software like zdoom and skulltag can allow custom monsters ,because they can reade decorate.txt .The only way to add custom monsters in boom format is to replace a monster via dehacked . Did you play scythe 2? The author of the wad somehow replaced commander keen with the afrit , by dehacked.txt If you open scythe2.wad using slade and copy the dehacked file as well as the afrit files then it should work.Also valiant . However, I want to do another monster , but I have no idea.

PLUS. You cant copy the files from scythe and viliant without permission from authors , so its better if I just made the dehacked files myself

That's more directed at the maps, I would say. I've seen other wads use the Scythe II Afrit and anyone who knows their way around DeHackEd could duplicate it with minimal fuss, so it wouldn't cause too much harm to do a copy-paste job. It still helps to know a bit of DeHackEd though so you don't mess it up.

Don't download the original DeHackEd, it's remarkably outdated and I'm not even sure you can get it to work on Windows. Use WhackEd4, it's a lot easier. That website's a good find though: Enjay put it up as a general reference eons ago and it should still be useful despite how dated it is.

1. Learn everything about the Thing table and the State table - ideally both from Enjay's tutorial and by looking at the entries in these tables that define the stock monsters or other custom DEHACKED monsters.

2. Choose particular things and states that you're willing to "sacrifice" (replace) - for all states you choose, be sure to also choose all things that use these states.

3. Redefine properties of these things and states to implement your custom behavior - feel free to take inspiration from the way how behavior of stock monsters or other custom DEHACKED monsters is defined.

A limitation you should be aware of: The only custom functions you can give to your modified monster are other monster attacks. For example, you could have an SS Nazi replacement fire anything from a shotgun to a baron's fireball, but nothing beyond already existing functions, however you can alter the damage dealt, speed and other variables applied to fireballs. You can also alter the health of an enemy, movement speed and delay of each frame of animation.

It's restricted in seemingly random ways due to it's hacky nature. You might find your awesome idea gets messed up, for example applying 'infinite ammo' to any weapon other than the fist or chainsaw completely glitches your ammo pool and renders certain weapons useless. It's confusing as hell at a glance, but once you get the hang of it it's like second nature.

Obsidian, I hope you're serious about those YouTube tutorials! It's a thing the world has needed for years now.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

You might find your awesome idea gets messed up, for example applying 'infinite ammo' to any weapon other than the fist or chainsaw completely glitches your ammo pool and renders certain weapons useless.

If I remember correctly you can get around this by modifying the BFG to use 0 ammunition per shot and then setting the ammo for that to infinite.

That allows firing BFG projectiles for free without glitching, but firing hitscans or other projectiles will always glitch the ammo pool.

Yeah, it is somewhat limited, but at the very least you can change the BFG ball to have the characteristics you want. Still leaves hitscan, but ah well.

20 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Still leaves hitscan,

And multiple unlimited-ammo weapons with a different projectile each.

25 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Yeah, it is somewhat limited, but at the very least you can...

Agreed, this is the spirit of DEHACKED, for better or worse.