Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Which DOOM Level Feels The Most Like A PWAD

most PWAD-ish: map08, e3m9 (with the assumption that e3m1 was already released).

most IWAD-ish: map11 (defines doom2), e1m3 (defines doom e1).

DOOM: E2M9 (Too short and too dull, not much variety)

DOOM II: MAP10 (sheer number of monsters is PWAD-like), MAP21 (really ugly, amateurish level)

Draconio said:

Mount Erebus (E3M6).

[...]

The strange design (not knowing what "Mount Erebus" is supposed to look like, but somehow I don't think it's "demonic military base built on radioactive volcano" which is the best description I can come up with for this level)

Mt. Erebus is a volcano in Antarctica.

Erebos means the infinite darkness or something similar, which really doesn't match with the fact that Mount Erebus is probably the brightest level in Episode 3.

Linguica said:

Mt. Erebus is a mountain in Hell from ancient mythology.

I don't know if it appeared as a mountain in any ancient writings, but Erebus is some part near or in Hades that is all shadows. Mount Erebus, as lament indicated, is a volcano in Antarctica (near it is another called Mt. Terror) and the reason id used "Mt. Erebus" instead of the classical shadowy realm is probably because the volcano appears in Lovecraft's "At the mountains of Madness" that takes place near it. And we know that at least some of the id guys were more or less familiar with Lovecraft's writings (cf. Quake.)