Dark Encounters 32 map MegaWad

Using this thread as reference would easier than copy paste your map text file. Anyway, I saw this on fb already. Cool stuff. I wonder how this it will turn out in reality when I'll play it.

 

Share this post


Link to post

This looks nice judging by the trailer and description. For atmospheric survival levels like these I really like the concept of making ammo sparse and rewarding exploration.

Though I haven't seen that style work out as well in Doom maps as in other FPS games, the additional options of GZDoom look most promising to me when it comes to more complex and atmoshperic maps, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they're being used for this project.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you Walter. Hope is as fun to play as it was to make.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Im impressed and eager! is it compatible with Zandronum 3.0 at the least? Death and Decay might play out really well with these maps..

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly don't know. I have zero experience with Zandronum. No reason, just never got around to trying it.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Can hardly wait. Link up anytime soon?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

It is currently awaiting Doomworld/idgames screening. It could be anytime now. I will also post a link as soon as possible.

Share this post


Link to post

Available now on media fire. See top post for link. I'll provide idgames archive link when it is available. Thanks everyone. Enjoy!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On 16-10-2017 at 1:36 AM, Payload4367 said:

I honestly don't know. I have zero experience with Zandronum. No reason, just never got around to trying it.

 

I'm currently hosting this wad on a Zan3.0 server. It is just great in terms of design and gameplay.

 

However some maps appear to be broken, i heard from some visitors. I have not been able to pin down the problems/maps. Maybe It's just because it has not been designed explicitely for MP or it can be broken cause it uses features that are not available in GZDoom.

 

eg. in map 6 there is a problem with some stairs not going up for some reason (just from hearing not actually experiencing/playing)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

First impressions so far (I'm about 10 - 12 maps in so far):

 

I'm absolutely in love with the level design. Just enough modern/GZDoom mapping tricks used to enhance the levels without going overboard. It feels like just the right amount of slopes, 3D floors, and scrips are used to make for an experience that still feels vanilla while not being vanilla, if that makes any sense. :P

 

Gameplay is pretty tough but that's because I refuse to play on anything below Ultra-Violence (even if I am a nub). It has more of a survival horror feel versus the usual run-and-gun action I'm used to when I play a megaWAD, which is a welcome change.

 

Overall I'm pretty impressed and personally I feel like this is Cacoward material. I'll share my full thoughts once I beat it. :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:41 AM, grrfield said:

I'm currently hosting this wad on a Zan3.0 server. It is just great in terms of design and gameplay.

 

However some maps appear to be broken, i heard from some visitors. I have not been able to pin down the problems/maps. Maybe It's just because it has not been designed explicitely for MP or it can be broken cause it uses features that are not available in GZDoom.

 

eg. in map 6 there is a problem with some stairs not going up for some reason (just from hearing not actually experiencing/playing)

Thanks for the insight and thanks for playing. I should probably familiarize myself with Zandronum and a few others.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Nems said:

First impressions so far (I'm about 10 - 12 maps in so far):

 

I'm absolutely in love with the level design. Just enough modern/GZDoom mapping tricks used to enhance the levels without going overboard. It feels like just the right amount of slopes, 3D floors, and scrips are used to make for an experience that still feels vanilla while not being vanilla, if that makes any sense. :P

 

Gameplay is pretty tough but that's because I refuse to play on anything below Ultra-Violence (even if I am a nub). It has more of a survival horror feel versus the usual run-and-gun action I'm used to when I play a megaWAD, which is a welcome change.

 

Overall I'm pretty impressed and personally I feel like this is Cacoward material. I'll share my full thoughts once I beat it. :D

Thanks Nems, you've described pretty much what I was aiming for in terms of gameplay and design. Thanks for giving it a try.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

Thanks for the insight and thanks for playing. I should probably familiarize myself with Zandronum and a few others.

Guess i was not really honoring the superb qualities of this mapset by putting only one line to say how good it was and 3 other with some complaints/remarks.

 

Protip: change the name of the topic of this thread: This is no longer a teaser/trailer. It is there to be played, rly. I'm really confused for the little amount of attention this effort gets.

 

You should learn some "shameless self promotion" skills, cause recognition for this work would be well earned:

 

Cacoward +++++

 

just to be complete: i can't find anything that does not work in zan3.0 as of now.

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

This wads the best thing since tetley teabags!

 

Bravo good sir!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everyone, for over 160 downloads and counting. Looking forward to any feedback. Have a great weekend!

I also added the idgames archives link for Dark Encounters in the top post. Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post

My only criticism so far is that the menu splashscreen should not just be a random screenshot of a map with a clearly visible fullscreen HUD at the bottom. Also, I do not like the music, but I guess that is more of a matter of taste.

 

However, I spotted a typo in one of the quit messages:

 

"retreive the ammo from your fallen enemies."

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Having a blast playing this with Brutal Doom 21 at the moment,  great stuff.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

My only criticism so far is that the menu splashscreen should not just be a random screenshot of a map with a clearly visible fullscreen HUD at the bottom. Also, I do not like the music, but I guess that is more of a matter of taste.

 

I agree 100%. Thank you for pointing this out.

 

1 hour ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

However, I spotted a typo in one of the quit messages:

 

"retreive the ammo from your fallen enemies."

...doh! :P

Share this post


Link to post

I'm only on map10 but this is brilliant so far.  Lots of 3d floors!  The levels flow really well, promoting run and gun play.  I'm not a huge fan of the music choices but it's not bad.  The music changing mid-level is a nice touch.  UV is a real challenge, I decided to stick with HMP for the time being.

 

Overall, a very advanced mapset showing what can be done with gzdoom.  You did a fantastic job with this.

Edited by Rowsol

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Rowsol said:

Overall, a very advanced mapset showing what can be done with gzdoom.  You did a fantastic job with this.

Thanks Rowsol, really appreciate you taking the time to play and comment.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Rowsol said:

A bug to report.  In map13 you can only open the red door once.

Yeah, the door is scripted to lock you outside and then open again after some time. From your video, I can see how this could be a problem that I didn't consider. I'll assign a repeatable action to that line. Thanks, and great video.

Share this post


Link to post

I sincerely appreciate the kind words (and criticisms) I have received for this project that I put so much effort into (loved every minute of it). Thank you anyone who has played and/or reviewed it. Almost 300 downloads and counting. Now, on to a follow-up. :) ...if I could only figure out deHacked....and decorate...etc.lol

Edited by Payload4367
typo fix

Share this post


Link to post

pity you never joined on the zandronum servers i host (grrfield). We had really fun with your wad. You could have learnt something about your wad and to see people enjoying your creation.

 

but anyway. Happy mapping in the future. Looking forward for other great stuff from you...

 

Share this post


Link to post

I apologize and, yep, I missed out. Life and stuff... But anyway, thanks for hosting it and I'm glad you had some fun with it. If you can think of any issues or suggestions with the wad, overall, I would still love to hear it. Always want to improve.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now