Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Does Doom 3 have themes?

I always thought of Doom 3 as just being tech base after tech base but some areas of the game do look and feel a bit different from each other. Do you think it is possible to group the game into different themes like in the original Doom?

Have you ever played Doom 3? Then you'll see that game does have themes. 

Although most of of the time, its basic theme is techbase.

9 minutes ago, Voros said:

Have you ever played Doom 3? Then you'll see that game does have themes.

I know not every level looks 100% the same. The differences aren't as blatant as in the original. The only part of the game that stands out that much in my memory is the waste/recycle area. And of course hell.

I honestly never gave it much thought, but I'll agree that while Doom 3 is mostly tech-base in its theme, there are some distinct deviations. You could even divide the tech-base portions of the game up into at least two themes: the Recycling sector and everything else.

Techbase, Industrial, and Hell, and Outer space (Sections where you go outside, these were short anyway).

14 minutes ago, dmg_64 said:

Techbase, Industrial, and Hell, and Outer space (Sections where you go outside, these were short anyway).

Don't forget the ancient Martian temples! With these three main themes, human base, ancient Martian, and hell, Doom 3 has greater diversity than many FPS games now and then.

And the outdoor sections aren' t exactly

"outer space", Mars has an atmosphere.

On Team Future we use a few terms for the various themes in Doom 3. These names mostly comes from what folders they put the textures in when you find them in the editor.

Mars City

Caves (dig site human facilities)

Temple

Alpha

Delta

Recycle

Enpro

After 13 (omg) years of looking at the textures inside the editor you get a bit too familiar with the themes. You just know where to find anything you need really. And you know what goes well together. A theme like Enpro rarely goes well with other textures outside the Enpro theme.

8 hours ago, dmg_64 said:

Sections where you go outside

I always found those to be the most interesting, perhaps because they broke the monotony of a game that was set mostly indoors, and gave you an illusion of openness, perhaps even an expectation that you could venture away from it all. I remember reading that the Doom 3 engine supposedly sucked on outdoors/open spaces...who knows. On RoE you even got a quite long outdoors stretch on the Skytram (Here's an old post I made on the subject), complete with outdoors monsters you couldn't reach (or was that the monorail between Delta and Alpha labs? Dunno). Well...for the emost part..

4 hours ago, geX said:

On Team Future we use a few terms for the various themes in Doom 3. These names mostly comes from what folders they put the textures in when you find them in the editor.

Mars City

Caves (dig site human facilities)

Temple

Alpha

Delta

Recycle

Enpro

Doesn't that communications level also have it's own brownish theme? The one with the creepy skeleton?

Anyways I do I think alpha labs are probably the most interesting theme because it sort of blends the high-tech lab theme and the industrial theme together into one. I wonder what it would make sense to call it. Tech-industrial?

12 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Doesn't that communications level also have it's own brownish theme? The one with the creepy skeleton?

Anyways I do I think alpha labs are probably the most interesting theme because it sort of blends the high-tech lab theme and the industrial theme together into one. I wonder what it would make sense to call it. Tech-industrial?

Yeah Communication is definitely also a theme. We just don't talk much about it since we don't really use that textureset that much.

Alpha Labs is also one of my favourites! It's one of the best themes in Doom 3 IMO

I think the 'Cavern' levels were my favorite. So much atmosphere oozing in those maps, being near the end of the game and all. The deep underground felt really cold, detached and isolated. Which is quintessentially Doom. Also, finding these neat set pieces was awesome (clearly inspired by Alien). Reminded me of the scene where Kane encounters the facehugger:

4.jpg

Creepy ambient sounds, falling rocks, and tough spawn-in encounters made for some pretty unpredictable and unsettling gameplay moments. Also, that huge elevator leading further underground. It's just the part of the game that I found the most memorable. "Caverns - Area 1" has the last survivor you see in-game as well, J. Katayama. Kind of insane to think he survived that long, pretty near the entire game. Apparently he died as there were no other survivors, but I have no idea how. He was easily the most well hidden person in the base. I don't see how anything could have gotten near him.

On 18.10.2017 at 2:47 PM, Tetzlaff said:

And the outdoor sections aren' t exactly

"outer space", Mars has an atmosphere.

Now this would be cool. Doomguy in an astronaut exosuit, fighting giant space cacodemons in full 3D freedom (or in a spacefighter)!

I see three themes in Doom 3: Mars installation, Mars underground ancient site and Hell.

My favourite one is the underground ancient site, as it combines the pragmatism of man-made constructions with the mystery of aliens.