Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chewyninja69

Any famous people/celebrities who like/love Doom, Doom 2, etc.?

As the title states, is there any famous person or celebrity who has confessed their true love for the Doom games? Excluding the Columbine shooters, of course (although I guess they should be considered infamous and not "famous", per se). And if so, who would be considered the most surprising fan?

Joe Rogan from Fear Factor has an Ultimate Doom poster in the background in some of his podcast videos. He used to be a massive Quake fan.

theres a video if Conan Obrien playing the new Doom before it was released if that counts.

12 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Remember that picture of Nikki Ziering playing ZDaemon?

I do not but I looked it up to see what you were talking about.

I heard Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson liked it from the extras on the Doom movie disc.

Other than that I only know of "YouTube personalities" big and small liking it.

I dont know about famous people, but theres this youtuber, Vargskelethor, that has some really cool and long Doom videos. Freaking fun to watch.

Well, the most well known Doom loving celebrity was of course Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.  There's a reason he hopped aboard Quake.  But he apparently used to play the game quite a bit during tours.  I also think I recall Michelle Rodriguez saying she liked Doom back in the day, but my memory may be fuzzy there.  

The late Robin Williams might have played some Doom in his time, he was certainly a big Quake fan.

I know Mike Nelson from MST3K was quite a fan back in the day, and I even saw a video on YouTube of him playing deathmatch at a convention with another MSTie.

Its tough to find answers to this question. When I search "celebrities that play Doom" it doesn't return many specific results. I'm combing my memory for moments where someone you might know mentioned Doom. When I wear my doom shirt, random strangers I talk to tend to comment on it. Most people who have played doom love it. There are some id software retrospective documentaries and stuff you can find where both games journalists and commoners have extremely vivid memories of playing Doom and being in love with it.

It might be a fun idea to tweet John Romero or John Carmack if there were any famous people that they were shocked to find out played and enjoyed Doom.

Canibus once rapped about being a fan of Duke Nukem, so he's probably a fan of Doom as well.

@Cynical Trey Azagthoth is probably better associated with Quake 3 than he is with Doom. He was the leader of the Sailor Scouts, who were well respected for their railgun accuracy. 

Michelle Rodriguez 100%. She played Doom growing up. She's probably still here. One of us!

Trey's map was crap, I remember playing it. Also, regarding his love for Quake, Morbid Angel does have a song called "Place Of Many Deaths" :)

Markiplier I guess, although the video he has on his channel is Brutal Doom, I don't know if he plays vanilla doom at all. I think he said he did when he was younger.

21 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

Markiplier I guess, although the video he has on his channel is Brutal Doom, I don't know if he plays vanilla doom at all. I think he said he did when he was younger.

BD doesnt count

2 hours ago, Revved said:

I know Mike Nelson from MST3K was quite a fan back in the day, and I even saw a video on YouTube of him playing deathmatch at a convention with another MSTie.

He mentions it in an episode too. One of the bots is making fun of his character for having been a temp and he's like "it was a pretty sweet gig, pretty much just hung out and played Doom..."

He's talking about the character, but he probably wouldn't even have mentioned it if he wasn't a fan to some extent. 

Vin Diesel is probably a pretty good bet. He's about the right age, grew up playing D&D, and loves FPS.

4 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I heard Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson liked it from the extras on the Doom movie disc.

Something about the way he described Doom in that part and the fact that he was holding up his hands like he was using a controller made it seem like he was lying/faking about growing up playing doom when he was younger. I'm sure he played it right before filming to get an idea of what it was about, and maybe still plays now. But I really doubt his sincerity in that interview. 

I knew about Trey Azagtoth, Trent Reznor (that have a big a part with quake making), cyriak and MarkPillar, also i could add james Rofle as a Doom fan, maybe Doug Walker (he quoted the bfg 9000 in his 80s ducktales review for a joke)?

51 minutes ago, Brewtal_Legend said:

Something about the way he described Doom in that part and the fact that he was holding up his hands like he was using a controller made it seem like he was lying/faking about growing up playing doom when he was younger. I'm sure he played it right before filming to get an idea of what it was about, and maybe still plays now. But I really doubt his sincerity in that interview. 

Well he could've potentially grown up with one of the numerous console ports that were available.

1 hour ago, Brewtal_Legend said:

When he did an interview with Connan for another movie, he mentioned he's also doing Doom. What character are you playing? I'm the guy! he said or something similar. No he wasn't. I'd say Bones was "Doomguy."

I know I posted this in another thread, but adding on to Trey Azagthoth, I should mention that I've seen a couple of live videos of Morbid Angel, where they actually played the music from the Playstation/Saturn version of Doom as ambient interludes between songs.

I don't know if this counts but History channels Modern Marvels always had a Doom door sound effect of it closing, for their intermission.

Edited by Mr.Rocket