Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Doom what if:90s Doom 3

Ha! The similarity is uncanny...until one remembers that Doom was inspired by Alien to begin with, With updated graphics, it'd make a decent Doom 3 expansion.

It would be interesting to see what a third doom game running on the Hexen engine could look like and taking the doom 2 approach of making something that's already perfect run even more like clockwork by introducing new enemies, weapons and gameplay strategies.

I don't echo Doom 64 being 90s Doom 3, it's a followup to PSX Doom, not PC Doom. The mother monster doesn't mesh with the Icon of Sin at all, which wasn't in PSX Doom. Plus it was a console exclusive on a poor choice console with a bad controller layout(the game looks good but playing it was a chore, too bad they had to stick to no looking around rather than copy Goldeneye), the more recent PC ports don't really fix that as they're unofficial projects and I felt Absolution was a little TOO faithful and limiting, we're not on an N64 controller anymore, the controls still felt stiff. How many of the actual Doom creative staff worked on D64, I wonder? I think it lacked a lot of what Doom had, it was too dark with odd color choices, lots of red and blue lights for no reason. I didn't mind the monster redesigns much

I figure Quake would have been a better example of what would have happened, Id had moved onto the 3D stuff by then. Final Doom sort of counts but was never intended to be, they were just fan-made level packs that got an official approval release at the last minute.

Since I played D64 before PSX Doom, the latter didn't feel quite right to me. It was like a weird transitional stage between D2 and D64 - some things were changed, some remained the same, and it was all clashing somewhat.

Methinks D64 also looks like a legitimate transitional stage between classic Doom and Doom 3, regardless of who made it.

10 hours ago, diosoth said:

Plus it was a console exclusive on a poor choice console with a bad controller layout(the game looks good but playing it was a chore, too bad they had to stick to no looking around rather than copy Goldeneye)

Well that's entirely an opinion, just because it's probably not your favorite console doesn't make it a poor choice. Sure the controller layout was a little difficult but there was changeable button configurations in the options.

Edited by Avoozl

There was also another topic like this here. With that said, I'd like to see what could come of it had it been developed circa '97 with the "new" features of the time.  

Instead of that, it would be VERY cool to see a Community Mapping Project based upon the listening of the Bonus Music from Aubrey's soundtracks that weren't in any of the games. Style the map (and name it) after the track itself. 

Edited by ImpieEyez95 : ideas

I feel like a mid 90s Doom 3 would have looked and felt a lot like Quake. I can't help but wonder how the enemies would have translated to 3D models, considering Quake enemies were only comprised of a couple hundred polys or so, and had only barebones shading, i.e. superficial gourard shading and adjustments to ambient light levels. I think it would have been a slower, smaller, less frantic Doom, but probably a quality product. It's intesrting to ponder how it might have looked on the N64 and PS1...

Well, id and Rogue were next-door neighbours at the time Rogue made Strife. If Romero's wishes of continuing to build on the Doom game/engine success inhouse had become the guiding principle, perhaps the two companies would have merged, instead of what really happened; just Willits coming over from Rogue to work on Quake. Or more Rogue'sters might have been hired, including artists and programmers intimately familiar with the tech. The Rogue employees at the time would have had no trouble picking up the torch on an original engine Doom 3, even if other parts of id were busy developing new tech. We might have seen a flamethrower similar to the one in Strife make it into this Doom 3. id was a very slowly growing for a long time, so this possibility, whether it was aired or not (which I guess we would've heard about by now if it was), was likely never considered seriously, for not wanting to expand out of the limited close-knit group culture that pervaded original id. Just a thought, no facts, gossip or rumours to back this "possibility" up.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:20 AM, SOSU said:

TNT and Plutonia are more like expansion packs that can run without Doom 2 than actual sequels,also Doom 64 is a spin of and quake isn't a doom game.

Technically, you're correct.

However, given how Id designed their later games during the remainder of the 90s, it seems fairly obvious to me that they were not that interested in faithfully recapturing Doom's gameplay, being more interested (as a company) in pushing the graphics tech (which means no hordes of squishy enemies - even tech today has trouble with that), so Quake is pretty much what a mid-90s Doom would have been like (except maybe with a more vibrant colour pallette).

Edited by dsm : Glaring grammer issue

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:18 PM, dugan said:

Brutal DOOM is essentially DOOM as a 3D Realms game.

How? When did Duke flip people off and yell "GO FUCK YOURSELF" or rip monsters' heads off?

17 hours ago, DoctorGenesis said:

How? When did Duke flip people off and yell "GO FUCK YOURSELF" or rip monsters' heads off?

Didn't Duke rip off the boss monster's head from episode 2 and literally shit down its neck?

If id had made a Doom 3 in 1996 it would have been in place of Quake, so what it would have looked like is quite obvious: A visually dull but fully 3D game with levels that contained too many gimmicks to show of the power of 3D, but probably with better monsters.

And Doom 4? Wasn't this called Quake 2  for some weird reasons?

Quake wasn't visually dull, and its lack of realism in level design is a virtue, not a flaw.

Otherwise sure. Except the monsters. Monsters were fine.

1 hour ago, nxGangGirl said:

Didn't Duke rip off the boss monster's head from episode 2 and literally shit down its neck?

Cutscene, not gameplay.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:46 AM, Maes said:

The enemies and weapons were also much more lame.

No NO NO NO. Doom (I and II), Quake and Quake II all have different weapons with each arsenal having one strength and weakness.

On the subject of Duke 3D, I wonder how it might have looked if id had attempted to make a Doom game using the Build Engine. For this, let's assume they have the best kind of Build and can use voxels. Closest I can find is this:

Edited by MetroidJunkie

2 hours ago, MetroidJunkie said:

On the subject of Duke 3D, I wonder how it might have looked if id had attempted to make a Doom game using the Build Engine. For this, let's assume they have the best kind of Build and can use voxels. Closest I can find is this:

This should be it's own thread/Duke 3D TC

On 10/27/2017 at 7:23 PM, GoatLord said:

I feel like a mid 90s Doom 3 would have looked and felt a lot like Quake. I can't help but wonder how the enemies would have translated to 3D models, considering Quake enemies were only comprised of a couple hundred polys or so, and had only barebones shading, i.e. superficial gourard shading and adjustments to ambient light levels. I think it would have been a slower, smaller, less frantic Doom, but probably a quality product. It's intesrting to ponder how it might have looked on the N64 and PS1...

Came into this thread to say that a late nineties Doom 3 probably would have looked a lot like Quake 2.

What I would have liked to see are simple improvements. Double the frames/resolution for sprites. Less hard coding in the engine. Better sounds and overall presentation. Etc.

What it would actually look like is definitely more along the lines of Quake, which others have pointed out. My self in that universe certainly would be fine with that.