Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Olroda

Jovian Palette

JPC.png

The flatscreen technology of today makes DOOM too bright. This WAD is an attempt to bring our favourite game back into the CRT-induced darkness from whence it came.
The Jovian Palette, or JovPal, is a palette and colourmap replacement which is quite similar to the terrific PalPlus, by Sigvatr.
One could say that my attempt is a different take on the same subject, and it has languished enough in solitude on my hard drive since I made it back in 2014.

Why should you get it? It makes DOOM look better - and darker - without sacrificing the really bright colours.

LINK

It looks similar to the lighting used in PSX Doom (kinda), which is nice. I'll take a look when I get to home later.

Why colormap though? Wouldn't it be enough to change the palette?

This looks like it makes things greyer where they shouldn't be.

On 2017-10-20 at 6:41 PM, Da Werecat said:

Why colormap though? Wouldn't it be enough to change the palette?

This looks like it makes things greyer where they shouldn't be.

Mine is a bit different than the original, but yeah, the palette is the major change. Not sure I agree about the grey part, but I'm not saying you're wrong either. It was difficult to get it right.

Just the screenshots alone brought me back to looking at Doom on a CRT with gamma set to 0. Neat little mod, downloaded!

I haven't like... done measurements and used a microscope but, I feel that on a CRT the darkness is more intense yes but the bright colors are more intense as well, i.e. contrast in general is amplified.

Glad you people like it.

On 10/22/2017 at 0:00 AM, Vorpal said:

I haven't like... done measurements and used a microscope but, I feel that on a CRT the darkness is more intense yes but the bright colors are more intense as well, i.e. contrast in general is amplified.

Yes - Consider this WAD an approximation. Making it look like it exactly as it actually would on a CRT monitor would, you know, require the use of a CRT monitor. Heh. It goes a long way towards that objective, however.

This is a great addition to my autoload.  It looks lovely and really compliments the more 'broody' mapsets.  I've had a lot of fun playing through Doom 64 for Doom II with it.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Just had a look, good stuff I like it, I actually supplied a personally modified PalPlus for use in my Doom Plus gameplay modification.

It works well with GZDooM, but I'm not sure about the others. The effect should be noticable right away though, so feel free to try.

27 minutes ago, Glaice said:

This isn't any use on say, OpenGL ports is it?

GZDoom presumably wouldn't use the colormaps (in favor of GL lighting), but would still use the palette.

Yeah, JovPal functions in any GL port that still makes use of the palette. I just tried it with GLBoom-plus, and it worked fine.