Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jval

DD_VOXEL 1.5.2 (DelphiDoom's Voxel Editor)

DD_VOXEL is a tool for creating voxels for DelphiDoom.

Downloads:

Latest version:

version 1.5.2: https://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom-voxel-editor/files/DD_VOXEL_1.5.2/

Older versions:

version 1.5.1: https://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom-voxel-editor/files/DD_VOXEL_1.5.1/

version 1.3.1: https://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom-voxel-editor/files/DD_VOXEL_1.3.1/

Features

• Simple editing (like a paint program)
  • Imports *.KVX voxels
  • Exports *.DDMESH voxels (optimized mesh for DelphiDoom's OpenGL renderer)
  • Heighmap and terrain importing
  • Copy/Paste front, back, left, right, top and down views
  • Optimized OpenGL rendering
  • Sprite export (8, 16 or 32 angles)

Screenshots: (using the Voxel Vehicles Pack 1.0)

image.png.cd53f369b9ab1da37cdf8ee9591ea80e.png

image.png.2fc14c8ec0c33af9a033b1dac822852b.png

image.png.23d502535246cdea04b318bbf5100479.png

Screenshot with Height map and terrain example:

image.png.a22c1a86581c1e46d96d1e866f928ec0.png

Edited by jval : Add new version download link

Version 1.5.1 is available https://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom-voxel-editor/files/DD_VOXEL_1.5.1/

This version adds the option to create sprites from voxels:

• Sprites are exported as PNG images inside PK3 files. You must use an external tool (like SLADE) to rename the PNG images or convert them to the Doom patch format.
  • Sprite export can have 8 or 16 angles.
  • Sprites are generated using isometric projection.

Screenshots demonstrating an example of generating 16 angle sprites:

Image1.jpg.aa9f3905f8dc9d2581bf49cde03e261c.jpg

Image2.jpg.603df6583b14292e994377958ad1d502.jpg

Image3.jpg.1b2f3716b68f014d8121d92bedb7151f.jpg

Edited by jval : Update lost images

Thats pretty cool. I could probably make a low res version of solace dreams now using sprites instead of voxels. Goodjob!

So , I don't use DelphiDoom so the format that this program exports his voxels isn't useful to me , but goddamn ! The interface is so nice ! I actually can understand how to make a voxel here , not like VoxelShop or MagicaVoxel , so again. The interface is really good , and exporting to sprites with angles looks very useful as well . 

Version 1.5.2 is available.

Download link:https://sourceforge.net/projects/delphidoom-voxel-editor/files/DD_VOXEL_1.5.2/

New features:

• Option to save sprites in 32 angles.
  • Sprite export dialog with many options.
  • Small fixes

Screenshots:

The new sprite export dialog:

image.png.33dbf05ef0e9218f47a593e4cded06da.png

Sprite with 32 angles export example:

Animation.gif.c059a244d00271b8dd4db8d4efdd3f59.gif

The WAD file with the above example can be downloaded here. (requires DelphiDoom version 2.0.4 built 715 or higher)

@jval: I'll be checking out your source in detail, but I wanted to ask: In just a few words, how do you render your voxels? Simple z-buffer, or do you do some special culling preprocessing/post-processing? I've been wanting to do some fullscreen voxel stuff for a long time now (which seems like I'll need a very smart hidden-surface algo), so I'm just curious how you do it.

6 hours ago, kb1 said:

@jval: I'll be checking out your source in detail, but I wanted to ask: In just a few words, how do you render your voxels? Simple z-buffer, or do you do some special culling preprocessing/post-processing? I've been wanting to do some fullscreen voxel stuff for a long time now (which seems like I'll need a very smart hidden-surface algo), so I'm just curious how you do it. 

DD_VOXEL uses OpenGL rendering for voxel preview (the right part of the main screen with the 3D preview). In early version the rendering was crude and slow, but in latest versions it generates an optimized mesh from voxel data and saves it to a compiled list. Then it calls the list, binding a procedural generated 512x512 texture, (gld_InitVoxelTexture in vxe_gl.pas) with 262144 distinct colors.  I've developed that method when I was implementing voxels to DelphiDoom (version 1.1.5 build 580). So, in OpenGL the rendering is actual polygon based.

The ddmesh export format (File/Export/Optimized mesh) contains the precalculated mesh information, so DelphiDoom do not have to generate it at runtime/loadtime.

For sprite export it uses purely software calculations with z-buffer.

DelphiDoom in sortware rendering, renders the voxels as sprites, using a "colorcolfunc". i.e. voxel=collection of vertical columns, vertical column=collection of color fractions.

In all rendering scenarios non visible voxel pixels are eliminated before the actual rendering. This procedure can be done on demand using the Voxel/Remove non visible voxels command of the menu.

Thanks - that explains it perfectly. I want to try my hand at rendering fly-through 3D fractals using voxels, which is something that has fascinated me ever since seeing a Mandelbrot.

This editor looks actually quite amazing. Could this be used to add 16 rotations to Doom's original sprites? They'd have to be recreated in the voxel editor first and then adding some depth, right?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, elend said:

This editor looks actually quite amazing. Could this be used to add 16 rotations to Doom's original sprites? They'd have to be recreated in the voxel editor first and then adding some depth, right?

I think a problem one would face with that would be that the sprites are already perspective-warped, so it's not just a matter of direct translation. Zombies and imps might be doable, but the arch-vile and spider mastermind would probably be nightmares with their spindliness. Significant redrawing/adjustment would be necessary, in '3d' and for each frame.

disclaimer: I haven't touched voxels or this editor, but I think the point stands.  It would be really amazing, though.

..Someone really ought to arrange for the digitization of what's left of the original sculptures.

9 hours ago, elend said:

I've checked some time ago an algorithm (link here) which describes the creation of voxel volume using depth information from different views of an object. Doom sprites do not have depth info, but I was thinking of using the +/- 90 degrees  angle to create it. Also Doom sprites do not have up/down view/info. Unfortunately never came even close to implement this method (not even tried). The only thing left from this, is just a note in my TO-DO list.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:50 AM, jval said:

I've checked some time ago an algorithm (link here) which describes the creation of voxel volume using depth information from different views of an object. Doom sprites do not have depth info, but I was thinking of using the +/- 90 degrees  angle to create it. Also Doom sprites do not have up/down view/info. Unfortunately never came even close to implement this method (not even tried). The only thing left from this, is just a note in my TO-DO list.

EDIT: I thought I submitted this a day ago - guess not. Anyway, here goes:

That's funny - that *very same thing* is on my to-do list (seriously). The trick is to map pixel for pixel on the rotations, and interpolate. The up/down view will partially appear with this method. This will get you 80-90% there, and an artistic hand get you the rest.

A lot of work, but in the end, you get identical original 8-angle views, with the inbetweens for free, theoretically :)

That is a very exciting prospect! I don't want to tell you what to do, but you should definitely look into this. :p

2 hours ago, elend said:

That is a very exciting prospect! I don't want to tell you what to do, but you should definitely look into this. :p

Go ahead and tell me - I need encouragement. If someone long ago told me that it was possible to become depressed by having too much work to do, I wouldn't have believed them. Now, I'm not so sure...

I will look into it.